Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Swift with a twist!

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2022, 12:09 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Swift with a twist!

Wasn't sure where to put this as it is a project (that shouldn't have been been yet again ) but not a Subaru..... but anyway a bit of fun that if getting out of hand!

Bit of background the base is a 1.3 Attitude. In essence a 1.3 2dr with sport seats and suspension, 17" Enki wheels but with non of the extra go. I'll paraphrase the initial bits. First off the stock exhaust had to go. Front block to boot. 4-2-1 header was bought as I didn't have time to build one.... Ha the irony.... then made the mani back in 2 1/4" stainless that I had left over from a job long past. Initially single muffler but the sound wasn't great so I added a second small mid box now she sound like a little rally car....

The next came some body adjustments. I'm a big fan of subtly in your face! Kind of stock ++ (well that's how it started). Now the rear wing is a Monster Sport item which I have to say just suites these so so well. The skirts I think are adapted FD3S RX7 FEED copies and the front lip is Seat WTCC item that is heavily modified to fit. not a style that is for everyone but it's a bit of me for sure.

Next up suspension.....
Old 23 January 2022, 12:19 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

So always been a big fan of KW so V3 coilovers where the way forward here. These took so long to come as there was huge supply issue with KW of the material they use for their piston rods. So after a mega wait they arrived; and so worth it. So very well balanced as expected.

I also at this stage wanted a more aggressive wheel so set about looking for something. I have to say without a clear idea in my head what I was after. It so happened I stumbled upon these OZ Chronos in 18"x7j. I can't recall the offset of these but it was spot on. They needed a lick of paint though and tyres so a set of Westlake 215/40/18s went on and they made all the difference.

Then there was a twist, unfortunately as it turned out one of the wheels was out of round.... An OZ wheel that had been laid by a chicken if you will. So this needed to be rectified but that wasn't the twist. For those of you that will see this I think we can agree that the wheels are purple. I mean they are; of that I don' think there will be any challenge. A friend of mine does wheel refurbishment as was kind enough to make my egg a circle again. This requires a lot of heat. Naturally the wheels needed re painting but this time I left it to them. With one brief. Purple please....

sooooooo.....

I'll be honest this really grew on me and although the did end up purple again later on I am tempted to go back to pink of some description....
Old 23 January 2022, 12:23 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Along with the KW V3s I added a bunch of Ultra braces/anti roll bars and links.... The chassis on this is great anyway but they do flex. Given the lack of power I didn't want to add too much weight so for now this is a good compromise.....

And the underside:

Old 23 January 2022, 12:27 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Now the brakes are not on yet as I have not had the time to pull the car apart and fit the stiffer springs, hardrace lower arms and top mounts or these brakes but they are ready to install.

The discs are a set of Mini clubman items. 310mm, Willwood 4 pot callipers, Braided lines and (mildly) chonky brackets I made out of some spare billet. That desperately need some time spend on them to be refined!

Next up the move towards the turbo set up!.... because it is so needed and my duty as a car enthusiast to do what must be done!
Old 23 January 2022, 03:04 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

That is wicked mate. I take it you're going to track it or is it a daily.
Old 23 January 2022, 07:18 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
That is wicked mate. I take it you're going to track it or is it a daily.
Yeah this is the daily at the moment so there will be a stage where I need to find transport for a few days but that will become clear later in the thread ....

Now the plan for this was always going to be a turbo. I'm fortunate that in the industry I'm in and my own personal interests often see me with spare or discarded parts. The original plan of running an intercooler was no exception to that rule. I made a new unit for a customer of mine for his Impreza and he told me to hang on to his old one. This was ideal but far too big and not in the best of nink! So it was relived of it's end tanks, chopped down to loose the bad bits a given a new lease of life.....

With the 3mm ally beaten, rolled and welded they ended up like this.... I always weld things like this inside and out so they can be cleaned and smoothed..... Just something that is a preference to me.....

I wasn't sure the masking tap would hold so the tanks were naturally welded on:

It was at this stage that the gears in the gearbox decided that the casings reign of tyranny had ended and they made a bid for freedom.... in spectacular style.... Enter stage left Ebay and the MOST bizarre deal I have ever had.... I needed a gearbox and I got one; pretty low millage too. Not only was shipping basically free, not only was the gearbox low millage but for a whopping £180 it came with a free engine! What the what! £180....

Let the fun stuff begin!
The following users liked this post:
Old 23 January 2022, 07:25 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

I'm never one to take the simple route and decided that I would do a sidewinder (I literally hate that term will all my being) header. Slightly longer runners, mildly oversized bore and 4-1 double slipped collector.... the initial idea starts thusly! Oh and just as a footnote the turbo being used for now is a Stock unit from my R32 GTR. These a pretty restricted on the turbine inlet but this done for torque and spool. This was machined out for better flow. Having the Spare engine has been so much help. Not only for mocking up but also because I can build this engine and simply swap them out once complete minimizing "off the road time" which would be novel ....

The 4-1 double slipped collector with Tial MV-S gate, this would be plumbed back to the downpipe....

This would end up here-ish!

Old 23 January 2022, 07:42 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

The double slip is like a normal slip join but has a extra sleeve on the collector side, aids in gas retention as it all expands under heat but also allows the manifold to grow and move at the same time.... (this is a pic of a different header but shows the idea all the same).

This is made from 321 stainless steel which means I can keep a 1.2mm wall and don't have to use the cheap jankey 3mm thick wall gas pipe that ultimately cracks, weights a ton and yes can you tell I just pain old dislike the stuff.... Anyway the 321 can take a whole load more heat than 304 or 316 and is a good compromise without jumping to Inconal because let's face it.... This is a Suzuki Swift not a LMP race car!

With the down pipe and dump pipe:

For some reason, and very unlike me, I don't have any pic of this welded up on it's own aside from the twin lambda bosses.... you'll see that further down anyway

Old 23 January 2022, 07:58 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

I mentioned before that I had moded an old Impreza intercooler but I changed my mind and that unit was donated to a customer car. I had decided to do down the chargecooler road. Shorter pipe length, better air temps more compact.... but more plumbing, extra rad and water etc so they do have their trades offs.... A chargecooler, for anyone who is unfamiliar with them uses cold air to reduce the turbo's charged air. Over the years I've great success with chargecoolers on cars and bikes alike. This will use a bosch water pump, AN10 fittings, custom rad and Wiggins pipe couplings.... and more beaten aluminium

wiggins:

Water tank ends, same as before welded in and out then smoothed off.....

And the all important charge tank sides....

That boost tape is back again:

I was of the thinking at this stage that I would keep the stock inlet manifold so I have to use pi cuts to make the angle as not even our pressed halves were tight enough to make it.... Not a fan of this as I think it looks messy but needs must... Also here is the first section of the induction kit....

Finished item:

inlet tube:

messy throttle body inlet:

The cooler rad and water pump:

Old 23 January 2022, 08:09 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

I got to thinking about the limitations of the M13a of the stock throttle body and for perspective future turbo upgrades it has to go.... I actually employed a 70mm billet item and set about making a new inlet manifold with the future in mind. Enter the aluminium again!...

Parts for the runners including CNC flange, trumpets and tube....

Welded together: I also had some injector bosses left over from an old job and they went into the runners.... the stock injector holes will have bungs in them in case for some reason in the future I want to run an 8 injector set up.... not too sure what could posses me to do that yet though? Something else to note is that I'm loosing the drive by wire feature in favour of cable for two reasons. The Syvecs S6+ I'm using, which is a little older now, doesn't have enough outputs for drive by wire. Aftermarket large bore DBW throttle bodies are very very pricey so that wasn't happening....

Then plenum chamber again was five separate pieces shaped and welded. 3mm aluminium again, a bit OTT for the application but who knows what the future holds!

Then we have it tacked up, with the boost bosses in there and new throttle body

and on the motor....

You'll notice a fresh lick of paint on the on the rocker cover which was massively needed....
Old 23 January 2022, 08:16 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

What an excellent project, I believe that shape swift were renowned for gearbox failures,I'm sure it's a small part that fails and destroys the box.
will you be forging the engine?
Old 23 January 2022, 10:16 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
What an excellent project, I believe that shape swift were renowned for gearbox failures,I'm sure it's a small part that fails and destroys the box.
will you be forging the engine?

Yes quite correct. Whilst they are not traditionally weak, Suzuki skimped on the bearing quality in the gearbox. This is resolved by changing all the internal bearings to better ones. As in the gearbox in the car currently. However I have a second box in the shop that is being rebuild with new parts , bearings and then shot peened and super finished for some extra durability.
I am also looking at a 6 speed box conversion though this is no simple task either. All of the 6 speed components are quite different although the bolt patterns on the housings are the same as the M13a. But will explore different options as the build progresses.....

As for the engine yes. It will be custom Woosner pistons and rods. We have a company that will do case and head bolts as ARP don't do them and to top it off; a closed deck conversion so I can run the power in the future. This is getting way out of hand
Old 23 January 2022, 10:30 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

So then we have the hole thing mocked together.... there are some bits to work around, EGR delete (currently on the car), water housing inlet need modding along with some extra take offs for the turbo etc, but for the most part this is it....

I'm happy so far. The air box will need to be made on the car....
Old 23 January 2022, 10:45 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Given the fact that the car will be running more power once this is all installed the 2 1/4" system will be a little tight so a jump up to 2.5".... but also the switch to titanium. Twin boxes will be employed again as this is a daily....

Box and packing as one:

Then the final product, couldn't resist the burnt tip

Old 24 January 2022, 10:09 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I started reading this and thought w..t...f but by the end I'm thinking wow, some of the pieces you have made are a real work of art. Proper crazy build, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Ps. If you ever get bored you can borrow my car, if it comes back with some crazy **** on it so be it haha
Old 24 January 2022, 10:23 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

When you need a daily for your daily. But then you need a daily for your daily for your other daily that meme basically sums you up looooool
Old 25 January 2022, 02:57 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Some very tidy work here! Will be a fun little car with this lump in it.
What's your company and where are you based?
Old 29 January 2022, 02:58 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Some very tidy work here! Will be a fun little car with this lump in it.
What's your company and where are you based?
We're based in Dunstable near Luton. So just up the M1 a little from London. And thanks, yes it should be a fun little beast that will , hopefully, surprise a few folks on the road

I forgot to mention the wheels that have have changed again. They are now Candy purple which is pretty subtle and then at the same time mad lairy! I'm getting new wheels soon to match the new arches and I'll be honest I'm torn between the pink and the purple. But.... here is the current colour:

Then in the sun:

Sam wheel in three different light:

Old 04 February 2022, 03:34 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Finally got these brakes in 😅. Such a big difference as expected; perfect upgrade. These are wilwood 4 pot ' lug mounted ' clippers with 2005 mini clubman discs and Wilwood pads.... I've not used Wilwood pads before I'm keen to see how they hold up....

Before and after.....

Also a good chance to clean the coilovers again!...

The following 2 users liked this post by seventune: