Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2014, 06:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 Avant

Well my quest for a QRX wagon came to an end last Monday when I realised my trade show gear would not fit in it.

The V40 daily I have run for two years needs to go, it is getting on and frankly I am a bit bored of it as good as it is. Was about to pull the pin on a 2005 2,4L Accord tourer when I saw a 3L A4 Avant for sale locally ... it's a 2004 and has a few miles but full Audi history.

It looks very tidy, but are they a ticking time bomb of expense or are they uber reliable. Is there plenty of room and do the seats fold flat?

Any advice would be appreciated before I take out for a spin and end up buying it cos it's a quattro and has a biggish engine LOL!
Old 16 August 2014, 06:49 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never heard bad things about the 3l Audi's - 2.0TDi's on the other hand require shares in the RAC
Old 16 August 2014, 07:48 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not much room in the back as the trim panels in the rear make the loadspace narrow. There is less width than the WRX wagon that you have tried your gear in.

The gear that I carry about would fit in a WRX wagon but not an A4 which is why I went for a Legacy estate when I got rid of the WRX. There's loads of room in the Legacy especially when you compare that to an A4. If I wanted an Audi ( which I don't ) it would have to be an A6
Old 17 August 2014, 10:53 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pacenote
Not much room in the back as the trim panels in the rear make the loadspace narrow. There is less width than the WRX wagon that you have tried your gear in.

The gear that I carry about would fit in a WRX wagon but not an A4 which is why I went for a Legacy estate when I got rid of the WRX. There's loads of room in the Legacy especially when you compare that to an A4. If I wanted an Audi ( which I don't ) it would have to be an A6
The loadspace is narrow I grant you, but longer than a the WRX wagon and that is the crucial measurement for me. That said there is way more space in the Accord so maybe I should just plump for one of them.

I was thinking of a Legacy, but for a daily I can't be fagged with the lack of a dealer network, high parts prices and availability issues, lack of secondhand parts etc. As dull as a Honda Accord is there is a dealer 15 minutes from my house and a healthy market in secondhand/reconditioned parts etc.
Old 17 August 2014, 04:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at these? Not sure on the diesels but the 2.5 and 3ltr petrols are both 4x4

http://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-ca...zi_2370_110580

Cheap to maintain considering (there is a Jag speciallist in Wigan, big service is around 300 notes).

Tony
Old 17 August 2014, 04:09 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a honda accord a few years back, albeit a saloon and thought it was an excellent car. granted its boring but reliable and cheap to run and hold value extremely well
Old 18 August 2014, 08:30 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Have you looked at these? Not sure on the diesels but the 2.5 and 3ltr petrols are both 4x4

http://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-ca...zi_2370_110580

Cheap to maintain considering (there is a Jag speciallist in Wigan, big service is around 300 notes).

Tony
Yeah I had thought about these as like you say they have a lot going for them, but a) they may be a bit small and b) this probably sounds stupid, but they are like a fake Jag to me... having owned an XJ I am not sure I could actually do it LOL!

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
i had a honda accord a few years back, albeit a saloon and thought it was an excellent car. granted its boring but reliable and cheap to run and hold value extremely well
Yes, my mate runs a small garage and says the Mk 7 Accord is amongst the least troublesome cars on the road.
Old 18 August 2014, 07:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

****, missed a blinding Accord with only 33K on the clock, by the time I rang guy is on his way from Stoke to buy it. Ah well.

Looked at a 2006 Mazda 6 Estate today and couldn't see anything I didn't like. Looks OK for an estate, plenty of room, all very sensible. Any ideas as to their reliability?
Old 18 August 2014, 07:21 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Is the audi 3ltr you looked at petrol or desiel?
The older audi, yes they do have a short legroom (the b8 got a longer platform, better legroom in back) can't say about the boot in the older audis but in my b8 the boot is ample enough and the seats actually fold FLAT if needed.

The Quattro in the older ones are not as beautiful as the newer t3 torsen diff

Tbh any jap estate is going to be good and reliable I would of thought.
I looked at the 6 estates too, but just wasn't stylish enough for a daily and also I wanted 4wd so my desicions were limited.
Old 18 August 2014, 07:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The Audi is petrol. I don't do diesel. I had another look at it yesterday and it is a bit small I think. My stuff will go in due to the length, but there will not be much extra room.

The Accords and the 6s seem to have plenty of room.

The Mazda actually looks a good bet the more i read about them. Cheaper than the Accords too.
Old 18 August 2014, 07:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Well just a quick search returns the 6 petrol is spot on, stay away from diesels, intercooler cracks, engine failures and usual dpf rubbish.

Find a 6 sport just to make it look a bit cool
Old 18 August 2014, 07:31 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Or even a Toyota avensis est? (TAXI)
Old 19 August 2014, 06:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

F1 just seen this come up, 108k twinscroll leggy but I think he's asking at least 2k too much but if interested then tell him what time it is and sort the price, my guess is he dosent have a clue what it's worth and trying his luck.
I'm sure you could sort him out.
http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index...-scroll-turbo/
Old 19 August 2014, 08:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
F1 just seen this come up, 108k twinscroll leggy but I think he's asking at least 2k too much but if interested then tell him what time it is and sort the price, my guess is he dosent have a clue what it's worth and trying his luck.
I'm sure you could sort him out.
http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index...-scroll-turbo/
Nah, I'm off Subarus. Not enough dealers, too many part supply issues and to be honest I would always look at the Legacy as a substitute for the WRX I wanted, but couldn't buy as my stuff wouldn't fit in.