Sponsored by:

Scooby is gone, sniff :(

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2001, 07:31 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Oh well, I’ve gone and done it now. I’ve taken the huge plunge and I am no longer a Scoob owner.

I didn’t want to ask for any opinions on ng re my madness, due to my fear of being talked out of it, hehe.

So After 2 Scoobs (MY96 five door with various mods and MY99 4 door) and 4 yrs of mad fun I’ve gone and traded her in

The pressure of 30,000+ miles a year petrol bills (not a company car or petrol), mad insurance costs, my pathetic wage packet and the constant thought's (or is it nightmares?) of how lucky I've been not to have had any high speed 'mishaps', or having being caught doing --insert huge speeds—- by our friends in blue, has finally forced my hand.

Blame Blair and crew for spoiling my day, simple. I earn less than 30K a year and have all the usual bills, mortgage etc; so filling up with £60 - £100 a week was becoming a really sad joke. We worked out that our fuel bills were ‘acceptable’ before the petrol tax was sneaked up ever higher and higher

I loved the MY99 car (Scoobysport b/box and ITG the only mods), we even took it to the hills above Paisley for a last photo session on the way to change cars (my gf was crying, lol).

What did I buy then? Simple decision for me anyhow, a clean break and all that, lol....
An Audi A4 Avant Tdi 115 SE (bit of a mouthful).

Am I depressed? Hmmm, let you know soon. Not ATM though, as the Audis spec, build quality, climate control and computer gizmos have me amused for now. Handling a bit woolly compared to MY99 but very smooth even over quite bumpy B roads. Standard HI-FI’s really good (Im sad, I know), and its got room for all me fishing gear, outboard motors etc Oh and a potential 62mpg Extra Urban, although over the last 300 miles or so, the Diver Information System states only 48.6 mpg, grrrr. lol Must be me trying to emulate the same turbo effects as Scoob. BTW Im driving just as fast as I have been in Scoob, the midrange is pretty good

Was a bit depressed regarding depreciation of Scoob though, but I seen it all coming so cant really complain too much
And to who ever buys TA0, you’re getting the most molly coddled car in Scotland

Have fun guys and gals, while you can still afford it, sniff..........

Jye

[This message has been edited by Jye (edited 08 June 2001).]
Old 08 June 2001, 07:34 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I can totally relate to this, as I gave up my scoob a couple of months back, thinking i'd not own one again..

You never know Jye, you might be back in a little while...
Old 08 June 2001, 07:36 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Oops, slight mishap there, heh. Hope so m8, but impending governent interference makes me so angry. I mean, giving all the revenue from speed cameras to the police this summer is the final straw

I mean if it wasnt just for the though of how much tax Im giving them just driving to my place of work (on yer bike, remember that one?), grrrrrrrr. They make me SO MADDD!!!

Old 09 June 2001, 12:28 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

From what I've read above, I presume 30k is the average wage in the UK although I may be wrong. Every body say's that fuel in OZ is cheap. The price of fuel is double in the UK from OZ, but so are the wages. In OZ its 15k. Fuel works out pretty even, but your Scooby's although the price seems high when I look at it as a figure works out cheaper for you in the UK than it does for someone in OZ based on an average wage. The Greeks average wage is 5k per annum and the WRX goes for 25,100 pounds here. No wonder I see one a month if I'm lucky.

WREXY.