Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cheap DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2002, 01:32 PM
gtr_man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've seen Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Lord of the Rings, etc. for £8 at a market stall.

Can anyone comment on the likey quality of these DVD's - a digital copy from a digital source should produce an exact copy with *NO* loss of quality?

Old 28 May 2002, 01:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Apparently they are done by unscrupulous projectionists in the states using a scart lead from the projector to a laptop or similar, whilst the film is being shown, then the film is burned onto a CD and copied ad nauseum. They are not proper DVD quality, but are slightly better than video.
Old 28 May 2002, 02:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

waste of time- i used an on line source for cheap dvds which were good quality for what they were- however, they were still not as good as originals and just spoilt the film.

T
Old 28 May 2002, 02:06 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
different types of quality, you wont know unless they know, which they probably don't.

cam - someone with a cam corder sitting in the cinema, usually rubbish quality&sound

telesync - professional tripod, placed in empty cinema or projector room, with sound going into it.

promo - taken from the promo tape, probably has numbers running on it, this film is copyright "xxxxx" showing also.

screener - taken from a direct source of the film. (could be dvd,laserdisc, etc)
Old 28 May 2002, 02:23 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Try looking at CDWOW!. Their DVDs are cheaper than the UK as they are sourced from places such as Hong Kong. You will need a multi-region DVD player though.
Old 28 May 2002, 02:43 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I dont usally have anything to do with Movie copying although I do bypass the regional coding on DVD's as we are ripped off in the UK.
I haven't bothered with the VCD copies, not wasting my time.

Even the so called DVD copies are crap.

Never bought one but borrowed a couple. The picture wasn't brilliant and although the dolby digital and dts was there the sound field was all over the place.

Not worth the money in my opinion. I paid £11k for my Home Cinema system and I'm prepared to pay an extra fiver and wait a couple of months for a top quality DVD.

Lee
Old 28 May 2002, 03:57 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Red face

Heard a man in the pub talking about a LOTR DVD he had cost him a tenner from Malaysia including postage.

Ordered it off a website that was mentioned in a thread a while back. But it was later edited out......

Has 5 channel surround sound and a few theatrical trailers for the extras.

The picture quality was advertised as 9.5/10 and looks perfect on screen. The only hitch being every 40mins a message scrolls across the bottom saying something like this is a screening copy and should not be bought or hired if it is ring 1-800-something or other...

There are no letter Z's roaming the screen, heads or audience noises.

So he said

Old 28 May 2002, 04:00 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just read logiclee post.

He did comment on the sound not sounding too good on a good home cinema system but on a normal telly and cheap system it was fine.

Wasnt going to stop him buying the real one though