Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Horsepower - vs - Horse Flesh! grrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 12:12 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I have nothing against horses, nothing for them either, and I do know they have a right to be on the roads, and I do know they were there before cars, but what I don't understand is why- WHY? WHY? the green wellie - wax jacket - I'm so stinking rich I don't have to go to work today brigade - always - ALWAYS insist on riding their beasties down the main roads in the middle of the friggin rush hour causing major traffic hold ups??????

I think great nice you can do that and I don't object to it any other time of the day - but why first thing - why the main road - where I've seen these people riding this week there are plenty - PLENTY of other places they can go - NOT CHOBHAM HIGH STREET!!!!!

*Rant mode* off

phew that feels so much better
Old 24 May 2002, 12:26 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Saw some rider take their hoss through the drivethrough McDonalds in Reading. Had to do a double take cos I didn't believe it at first.

Bet the staff were none too happy, especially the poor guy that had to come and clean up after it
Old 24 May 2002, 12:26 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Angry

Black Cat,
I know what your saying, I know Chobham quite well (ex Goldsworth pk res.)and horses at rush hour would be a nightmare....

I now live in Dorking and have exactly the same problem, once at Dorking High St and another on the way up to Oxshott on the way into work.....

It's not like their aren't several miles of woods around either of these locations, and then they winge if a too loud a car comes past or any car too quickly (Cant think why anybody might be in a rush after sitting in a 10min que to get past a horse !!).

Like you say i have no problem with horses on the road per say, but surely common sense says not at rush hour.

Horse people am i completly wrong here, is this an essential part of horse traning i don't know about or is it simply a lack of consideration on behalf of the owner / rider ?

Phill
Old 24 May 2002, 12:28 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I rode my previous horse through the drive-thru with my mate a few years back. It was well funny.
The manageress came to the window and said "we don't serve horses", to which the reply was "well thats okay then, because he doesn't have any money"

We got what we wanted anyway, but were asked not to do it again.

Old 24 May 2002, 12:30 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

As far as I'm concerned if they want to ride them on the roads then they should have to have insurance at the very least, hazard warning lights and a following vehicle warning traffic of the very slow moving obstruction ahead would be good too

We drove through a very wooded area near us yesterday and it seemed as if there was a horse being ridden or led around every corner we drove round - so dangerous for everyone
Old 24 May 2002, 12:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

said it before and I will say it again,

glue is all they are good for!

do they pay road tax? I think not!
Old 24 May 2002, 12:40 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but bikers (as in bicyles)get on my T!ts more [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] but tbo anyone who slows me down, no scratch that anyone on the road
Old 24 May 2002, 12:41 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

o querty did you get my msg in the other thread?
Old 24 May 2002, 01:26 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Talking

Was driving along really back country roads in the Zed once and the car was pretty much filling the available space - the side mirrors were catching on bits of flora and the banks were steep.

Thunking great horse appeared coming towards me. Well, wasn't going fast anyway but slowed down even more and attempted to get as far over one side of this lane as I could, given the 3" of floor clearance a Zed has...

This horse started getting skitty, dancing across the lane in front of me so I figured that maybe the sound of the HKS exhaust wasn't pleasing it, so having started to ground the car on one of the banks with the ability to stretch my left arm across and pick some local weeds, I cut the engine.

This left approx 1 foot of clearance between the right hand side of my Zed and the far bank. Well, dumb-nuts the rider, instead of walking the horse 100 yards back from where she had come where there was a handy overtaking spot / layby area proceeded to attempt to wedge this huge, obviously unhappy horse past my car.

As I watched the stirrup and boot pass my windows I even stopped breathing incase this rattled the horse. Fortunately they managed to get past with no real incident - just her boots knocking on my windows...
Old 24 May 2002, 01:32 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ahh, Chobham - it goes with the territory I'm afraid. I like the way they wave in a regal fashion as you slow down to pass them.

But at least you *can* pass them. My pet hate is f**kin' horse boxes. They accumulate enourmous queues of pi$$ed off motorists behind them. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Why can't just pull over occasionaly and let people get past the selfish c**ts.

Old 24 May 2002, 01:47 PM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

I do agree that taking a huge powerful animal on a busy high street not only annoys drivers but it suicidal for the rider, one big lorry can come past and the horse will shy and run around like a lunatic. But that’s some people’s mentality.

I do slow down when I pass a horse on a side road cause horses were here b4 cars chaps!!

Mcbrun555
Old 24 May 2002, 02:41 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

I couldnt give a monkeys toss if horses were there before cars or not. They are a frigging nuisance Snooty wanka's.

Ps my girlfriend is a keen horse rider, but she obviously doesnt count

If they dont acknowledge me when I slow right down for them then I give a good ole blast on the right foot. That'll teach em to be where they dont belong and to have manners !

[Edited by carpet - 5/24/2002 3:00:21 PM]
Old 24 May 2002, 02:54 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

Horses should be no problem on back roads because every driver should be driving to the limit point and be able to stop in the vision area available...but you don't, do you? Come on, honestly :-)

It is important to train horses to be ridden in trafficnot least to be able to get between bridle paths. Like you alot of horse people have jobs (yes, they aren't all old money rich people, in fact owning a horse, like a scoob is a bloody quick way to become poor!)) so why shouldn't they nip off work early to get an hour in before it gets dark? Wimbledon Village is awash with horses and all seem to be able to co-exist.

Most riders have third party insurance now, although it should be compulsory (and for push bikes). Also the vast majority over the age of 17 have cars so pay road and fuel tax.

Share and share alike, I can't account for the plonkers who can't control their horses and there must be a few, just as we can't account for the multitude who can't control their cars.

Old 24 May 2002, 02:58 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

Carpet, you're a t*sser if you do that and if you end up with a big dent in your car you have only yourself to blame.

Just owning a dogs b*llocks car doesn't make any of us the dogs b*llocks, particularly if you can't control your dog :-)

[Edited by IanA - 5/24/2002 3:00:25 PM]
Old 24 May 2002, 02:59 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

IanA - yeh im a tosser
Old 24 May 2002, 03:03 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

I was about to edit it to say mad rather than tosser, but you've already seen it, read back alot ruder than I intended!
Old 24 May 2002, 03:28 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

I hate horses! big dumb animals! keep the things in fields where they belong. The roads are for motor vehicles
Old 24 May 2002, 04:32 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

As a horse owner and a car owner I see both sides of the story.

This argument has been done before
Old 24 May 2002, 04:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

3 times a week 2 riders from the local hunt take all the foxhounds for a walk up my route to work at 8.45 am
If you think a horse rider can create havoc, you should see what 2 of them, barely in control of 30 dogs on a busy B road in rush hour can do!
I have accidentally hit dogs on at least 2 occasions, when they have run out from the pack across the road because they smelled something interesting, and all you get from the riders is a dirty look and abuse!
Fortunately as yet, no damage has occurred to my car, otherwise the dumb animals on the horses would not be happy!
Old 24 May 2002, 04:56 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Wink

not for much longer though, eh?
Old 24 May 2002, 05:05 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

I dont believe it....
I read this thread at work a couple of hrs ago & thought to myself how lucky I must be 'cos I don't see many horses on my local roads even though I'm in a village surrounded by country lanes and fields full of the bl00dy things.

So on my way home 2nite what do I find around a blind corner.... a queue of cars stuck behind a ******* horse but not just any old horse, oh no, this one is a bl00dy great big shire horse type thing pulling a traditional "gypsy" caravan [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
And the damn horse couldn't have been going any slower if it had 2 broken legs!!!!
The only consolation was that there were 3 "welly brigade" people walking along side it and waving traffic past when it was clear.

Reading this thread must have jinxed me

BOB

...nothing round this corner apart from me

[Edited by WRXBOB - 5/24/2002 5:08:19 PM]
Old 24 May 2002, 11:40 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

That's right. Roads are only for us in our high performance motor cars. Yeah right. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What about joggers, hikers, dog walkers, horse riders, cyclists, tractors, horseboxes, caravans, heavy lorries, etc?
C'mon, everyone has a right to use the roads, have you considered that the other road users are only using the public highways because they *have* to. They probably dislike the drivers of sports cars with farty exhausts. Please be a bit considerate and live and let live.

Remember if you **** off a horse by driving too close on the public highway it can leave a nice dent in your door.

[Edited by Miles - 5/24/2002 11:42:24 PM]
Old 27 May 2002, 01:39 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yes they do have a right to use public roads, but they also have a responsiblity to be considerate to other road users, the ones whose taxes allegedly pay for the upkeep anyway.
'RANT ON'
anyway horse riders pale into insignificance compared to the cycle racing fraternity, who, round here just pitch up a course, ride in clumps of 10-20 down the middle of the road, and give way for nobody. When my local Motor Club want to organise a road rally, they have to ask for the written permission of every resident and his dog within a 50 mile radius. Whose permission do these ba****ds ask, not mine, or anyone I know, that's for sure!
'RANT OFF'