Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Britain on the Fiddle programme.

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2013, 02:36 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Britain on the Fiddle programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hhvsy

Some of the benefit cheats costing the U.K. £20 billion a year!
Old 07 November 2013, 02:45 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, more than the whole of the (legally claimed) welfare bill ! ! !

When the convicted c**ts cannot pay back any/all of the stolen proceeds, then there should be pro rata jail sentences, based on X £ = Y years -- rather than just write off any shortfall. Otherwise it means they 'disproportionately get away with it'.

Last edited by joz8968; 07 November 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07 November 2013, 02:49 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

It's sad, but a lot of people in this country are basically lacking moral fibre these days! From cheating the benefit system to downloading copyrighted material ... it's rife across the whole country and many don't even see it as crime any more!
Old 07 November 2013, 02:56 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Society is slowly but surely going down the gurgler.

I reckon 'we'll' be living in a Mad Max-esque world in about 200 years................
Old 07 November 2013, 03:18 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

We already are
Old 07 November 2013, 03:34 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It's sad, but a lot of people in this country are basically lacking moral fibre these days! From cheating the benefit system to downloading copyrighted material ... it's rife across the whole country and many don't even see it as crime any more!
As far as downloading copyrighted material goes I have zero sympathy for music companies who we're fleecing us at £17.99 a CD in the late 80s early 90s.

Paybacks a bitch really.
Old 07 November 2013, 03:39 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

As far as downloading copyrighted material goes I have zero sympathy for music companies who we're fleecing us at £17.99 a CD in the late 80s early 90s.

Paybacks a bitch really.
Old 07 November 2013, 05:06 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

When you work all the hours god sends to then be fleeced by the tax man the energy companies and every other large corporate parasites then eventually the man on the street will do what ever . I don't think it will be long before we see the next lot of riots, if our peers have no morals then so be it
Old 07 November 2013, 05:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

We're printing money and giving it to the banks yet again the media spotlight is on the 'scroungers' who are supposed to be sinking us.
Old 07 November 2013, 05:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

benefit fraud is just the tip of the iceberg IMO.

There are countless people, evading tax, from big time rich corporations excessively exploiting loopholes to the small time sole traders doing cash in hand, to the ebay/gumtree sellers (and SN sellers ) selling stuff as part of a regular income and not declaring it. Not to forget dodgy expenses claims by people who are supposed to leading and representing the country - hardly setting an example for moral fabric.

Whilst I hate tax (especially green tax ), but if everyone paid their way it would be either be alot lower for all of us, or we'd have allot more money in the coffers for better public services, infrastructures, etc etc.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07 November 2013, 05:37 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

None of them on the breadline, far from it, so it comes down to pure greed. When caught the punishment should exceed the crime to deter others. Looks too easy to fleece the system.
Old 07 November 2013, 06:24 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

It's a drop in the ocean compared to how much the government is simply fluttering away in overseas aid and free NHS to the whole world. The rest is benefit paid to those who haven't even paid into the system.
Old 07 November 2013, 06:33 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk

Paybacks a bitch really.
Oh good lord you can't possibly ask someone to actually pay for something besides, since when has a CD been £18? I've just looked on Amazon and the current number 1 in the album charts is only £11.

Just a question for anyone that fancies answering, is F1 fan and TDW posting in the same thread a sign of the apocalypse?
Old 07 November 2013, 06:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Oh good lord you can't possibly ask someone to actually pay for something besides, since when has a CD been £18? I've just looked on Amazon and the current number 1 in the album charts is only £11.

Just a question for anyone that fancies answering, is F1 fan and TDW posting in the same thread a sign of the apocalypse?
He said in the late 80's not now
Old 07 November 2013, 06:42 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Paybacks a bitch really.
Originally Posted by Ant
He said in the late 80's not now

The current number 1 was just an example, I can't recall having ever paid 18 quid for a CD in the 90s.

Last edited by neil-h; 07 November 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07 November 2013, 07:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I did

I re-ripped some of my older CD collections (illegal, I know, sorry) and found a few with price stickers on....most of which were £14.99, which back in 1991 (cough) was ALOT of money. OK so I was 12 years old, so it wasn't my money as my dad bought it me, but still, its the principal point it was a stupidly expensive price to pay for a copy of Use Your Illusion (now £5.23 on amazon including delivery)

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07 November 2013, 07:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
We're printing money and giving it to the banks yet again the media spotlight is on the 'scroungers' who are supposed to be sinking us.

tbh as I have said before on this forum, I simply don't believe people have the cognitive ability to grasp this

It is simply a concept to far for most people

the banks won the argument 5 or 6 years ago

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...postcount=1717

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=194

https://www.scoobynet.com/962306-how...l#post10949733 - post 72 down
Old 07 November 2013, 09:14 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another one of your quotes

to be honest, i don't give a fvck what they do/don't do - I have profited from it and will continue to do so

but I see it for what it is, we have an entilement society and it does not simply start and stop with dole scroungers

And the advice I will give to my children is go into finance

So the question is who is worse? The poor soul who you say just doesn't have the 'cognitive ability' to grasp what the banks and govt have done? Or the or so intelligent bloke like you who does understand but is happy to profit from it and encourage their children to become part of it?
Old 07 November 2013, 09:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I re-ripped some of my older CD collections (illegal, I know, sorry)
Not illegal any longer. You can convert any of your CDs, tapes or vinyl records to another format provided it is for your own personal use!
Old 07 November 2013, 09:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Paybacks a bitch really.
Let's not get into this argument as it was just an example, but the whole downloading of copyrighted material situation is a hell of a lot more complex than just people stealing from huge nasty greedy corporations.
Old 07 November 2013, 10:22 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

The wife and I found a wallet at Welwyn garden City train station just before Christmas the other year. It had over £400 in cash in it. It also had the owners mobile and land line telephone numbers prominent in it. I called the number and verified that the person that answered was the owner by asking a few questions about the contents. He had no idea that he had dropped it. Told him my name and address and contact number and assured him it was safe so not to worry about cancelling cards etc OR about losing photos of his children etc. His wife turned up at our home when I got home from work with two very very nice bottles of wine and a VERY big thank you. They felt good and we felt good. All in all it was a very pleasant experience. Sadly I think it it the exception rather than the rule.
Old 07 November 2013, 10:50 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
yet again the media spotlight is on the 'scroungers' who are supposed to be sinking us.
Where in the programme was that stated?
Old 08 November 2013, 12:07 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

: besides, since when has a CD been £18? I've just looked on Amazon and the current number 1 in the album charts is only £11.
You can look on Amazon all you want. Obviously you never read my full message before jumping in, re read what I said and you will see when.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:16 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I did

I re-ripped some of my older CD collections (illegal, I know, sorry) and found a few with price stickers on....most of which were £14.99, o
Yup, when the whole CD thing started we we're held over a barrel and royally shafted, dry run with no lube!!

Pretty sure I paid 18 quid for some, even 15 quid is extortionate by today's prices let alone 25 years ago. I wonder how much this would be in today's money I'm guessing 25 quid?

Neil just because you can't remember it dosent mean it didn't happen.
Old 08 November 2013, 01:01 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even I remember CDs being around the £18 mark. Mainly the compilations, but even some single albums, most I recall being around £14.99. But I'm not as old as Dunk.

Didn't really bother me, as at that age, whatever I didn't get as presents, I just made up my own tapes from the radio. Meant I got stuck with little bits of adverts now and again, but you can't have it all....
Old 08 November 2013, 07:25 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

On this thing about CDs etc.you did have another option.... which was simply not to buy them!

At the end of the day if someone creates something that they therefore own and they value it at a certain price then you can either pay that price or not pay it, but deciding it is too expensive and subsequently stealing it isn't right regardless of your opinion of whether their pricing is 'daylight robbery' or not!
Old 08 November 2013, 07:47 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hhvsy

Some of the benefit cheats costing the U.K. £20 billion a year!
Didn't watch it and never will.
Old 08 November 2013, 08:39 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

On this thing about CDs etc.you did have another option.... which was simply not to buy them!

At the end of the day if someone creates something that they therefore own and they value it at a certain price then you can either pay that price or not pay it, but deciding it is too expensive and subsequently stealing it isn't right regardless of your opinion of whether their pricing is 'daylight robbery' or not!
If that's how you see it then fair play, I see it differently.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Or record off the radio and make a mix tape. Hitting the pause button before the DJ starts spouting the usual inane drivel and cueing the next track is a lost art these days

I remember seeing this logo on the back of some vintage LPs I had:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Taping_Is_Killing_Music
In the end of the day it was something I did out of necessity. And it didn't really kill the industry, because quite simply, my mum wouldn't have let me take the bus on my own to go to Our Price to buy the original.

On the grand scale of things there is the petty and the larger scale serial offenses; I still can't believe the audacity the Chinese bloke who waddles into our work office with a bag full of copied DVDs and CDs

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 November 2013 at 11:07 AM.