Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2000, 10:21 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Britain to accept World Rally Cars - 03-Mar-2000

Next year's Mobil 1 British Rally Championship will be open to all cars, including four-wheel drive, turbocharged World Rally Cars.
Britain's governing body, the Motor Sports Association, looks set to exclude current marques like Vauxhall and Volkswagen, who favour a front-wheel drive formula, and open the doors to world championship-specification cars like the Ford Focus WRC and Subaru Impreza WRC.

MSA director of major events and marketing, Jonathan Ashman, said on Friday: "The two-litre era has been tremendously successful, attracting nine manufacturers to the series at one time or another.

"However, there now seems to be a very limited future for the formula. The proposed replacement 'junior' formula looks attractive, but requires more developments before we can properly evaluate it.

"World Rally Cars, on the other hand, are appearing in increasing numbers on the international scene.

"We naturally expect to attract a representative selection of these supercars to what is after all, the world's leading national rally championship.

"The British series will offer an excellent opportunity for World Championshop manufacturers to try out young drivers or new cars, with the added bonus of top-class television coverage."

about time too
Old 03 March 2000, 10:35 PM
Ken S
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic news
No need to bother with the 'Rally of Silverstone and a bit of Wales' if proper (4WD) cars are coming back to the BRC. Can't wait for the Jim Clark - with ex-WRC cars it will be more like Catalunya than ever before.
Old 03 March 2000, 10:37 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Yep, but TV coverage where ? (probably some pay to view satellite tosh).

I for one, will miss the F2 cars. Nothing like the FWD monsters for a bit of fun.

4WD and turbo, pah, too easy.

Actually, I would love to see some WRC's at say the Jim Clark, getting some serious airtime on the tarmac stages. In fact, where is my diary, time to write in some events to go and watch.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 March 2000, 10:44 PM
ChrisK
Scooby Newbie

Smile

The MSA aren't actually going to exclude the F2 kit cars - all cars will still be welcome from what I understand. Whatever, it can only be better than this year - I hardly call 2 Vauxhalls, a Golf, 2 privateer Huyandis, 2 106's and a Proton a championship......

PS As of a couple of days ago I heard from an informed source that only 20 cars had entered the Rally of Wales - oh dear,oh dear,oh dear......
Old 03 March 2000, 11:15 PM
Paul.G
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes this is what we want to see !!

WRC cars in the hands of some quick British drivers-Marcus Dodd in his soon to be delivered ex Burns Monte WRC Subaru (He might even give Andy Burton a run for his money.... Have you seen that Peugeot go, proper nutter !!)for example.
With the decline of the works two wheel drive teams the British championship has recently lost some of its sparkle, but this move will certainly make it very intresting.

Bring on the WRC cars
More Popping and banging all round
Paul.G
Old 03 March 2000, 11:26 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

OK

Who knows some good hotels up Jim Clark Rally way then ?

Maybe I should start a thread under "Events"

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 March 2000, 11:54 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Classic rallying is the way to go, nutters hooning it around forests in 911's and Mini Coopers along with every variety of British car from the 50's and 60's
Austin A40 Farina rally car anyone?
and you think we have problems with understeer
Old 04 March 2000, 08:11 AM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

IMHO I think the MSA have missed the great opportunity to put some structure into rallying - and they blew it.

So now the BRC will be just like the Mintex or ANCRO championships - we even see WRC cars out on BTRDA events.

Shame really.