Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

buying a car from a trader...

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2013, 09:14 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a car from a trader...

as in bloke who has large garden/piece of land and keeps a stock of 8 or 9 cars, would you buy a car from them?

Situation is, from the advert in auto-trader it looked as though it was a used car garage, turns out it's said blokes garden anyway, service history, log book, AA check all there and its a decent price...but something makes me un-easy about the whole situation
Old 01 September 2013, 09:16 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
as in bloke who has large garden/piece of land and keeps a stock of 8 or 9 cars, would you buy a car from them?

Situation is, from the advert in auto-trader it looked as though it was a used car garage, turns out it's said blokes garden anyway, service history, log book, AA check all there and its a decent price...but something makes me un-easy about the whole situation
I was in the same situation mate. Car looked like it was from a garage on the advert, but when I went there, it was a huge house in the countryside with all the cars parked in a large shed. I bought my car and it has been perfect for the last 7 months (except a new MAF).

If you're getting a gut feeling that something's not right though, its probably not. Just walk away and wait for something else
Old 01 September 2013, 09:20 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Thats the thing, everything seems fine, its just not a path I've gone down before.
Old 01 September 2013, 09:23 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
Thats the thing, everything seems fine, its just not a path I've gone down before.
Well, you said something makes you feel un-easy dude, so, personally, that would be enough for me to walk away, even if there's nothing visibly wrong.
Old 01 September 2013, 10:20 PM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

It's not unusual for a car salesmen that works for a main dealer to buy stock thay comes in part-ex for themselves at trade prices and take them home. Usually cars a bit too old for the main dealer forecourt. If they offer a warranty then they should be OK.
My Aerodeck was bought from such a person, no problems whatever.
Old 01 September 2013, 11:46 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

If it all checks out, you've HPI'd it, got some mechanical knowledge and are happy with the car, the guy is probably trying to earn a crust.

Ask him about warranty, if he says something like he's not liable for any faults, walk away. If he's genuine, he'll tell you to bring it back if you find anything wrong.
Old 02 September 2013, 12:08 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Being a trader they will have to give a three month warranty......
Old 02 September 2013, 12:45 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

^^^ being a non trader selling cars out of his back garden, its a private sale so no warranty....

If the price is right and the car is ok, then buy it but treat it as a private sale. If he is a genuine trader, then yes it should came with a three month warranty, but if he is just flogging cars on the side, there is nothing unless he throws in a third-party warranty.
Old 02 September 2013, 12:47 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bristol98
Being a trader they will have to give a three month warranty......
Incorrect.

They don't HAVE to give you any warranty, by law but they do have to comply with the sales of goods act, which is different.
Old 02 September 2013, 01:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If he sells more than say 4 cars per year (I've forgotten the number) then he must declare himself as a dealer and that carries quite a responsibility after the sale if something goes wrong - more that they will let on. That's why you pay more than a private sale for a similar model.

I'd buy a cheap can, say less than a grand, in your circumstances provided he provided something in writing and I liked the cut of his jib when I met him

Give trading standards a ring and see if he is a trader.

dl
Old 02 September 2013, 01:15 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Guy is probably just trying to earn a wage. Make sure you get some sort of receipt or invoice from him.
Old 02 September 2013, 02:57 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

At least you know where he stays if things go wrong and he is obviously confident with what he sells knowing this.
Old 02 September 2013, 02:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You need to have a reasonable amount of mechanical knowledge to be able to work out a good assessment of the vehicle you may be interested in.

It would be worth asking around to find others who have dealt with him to ask if they think he is fair in his methods.

Les
Old 02 September 2013, 06:03 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just take the car on face value as you would when buying from either a private seller OR a Garage/Dealership..!
I'd rather buy from someone selling from there house than a so-called garage that may be or not be there a couple of weeks/months down the line..
When buying from a garage it doesnt always guarantee a 'better' car than someone selling private or on a smaller scale from a trader who trades from home.

Raf
Old 02 September 2013, 07:51 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

if he is selling from his house don't worry as long as you see him go into it you will know where to go if something happens, it'll be far harder for him to disappear working from home than it would be from a rented plot or unit....

That said we have purchased a car recently from a similar situation from someone over the other side of Birmingham and it was a pleasant experience he was actually nicer to deal with than some of the dealers I have purchased from in the past.

As long as you have done your checks then you should be ok.
Old 02 September 2013, 07:54 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Incorrect.

They don't HAVE to give you any warranty, by law but they do have to comply with the sales of goods act, which is different.
I thought it was 30/31 days (or a month to simple folk)?
Old 02 September 2013, 09:16 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Afraid not, there's nothing in law that states you have to offer a warranty, but you do have to abide by The Sales of Goods Act 1979 >>>http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

There were some amendments to it a few years ago which gave buyers even more protection and for longer on certain purchases. From memory, it was something to do with how long a product should last in the eyes of the law, rather than a set period of time.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Afraid not, there's nothing in law that states you have to offer a warranty, but you do have to abide by The Sales of Goods Act 1979 >>>http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

There were some amendments to it a few years ago which gave buyers even more protection and for longer on certain purchases. From memory, it was something to do with how long a product should last in the eyes of the law, rather than a set period of time.
Thats worth knowing, its about expectations I suppose
Old 02 September 2013, 10:35 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

There are loads of independent car traders set up like that across here. I have browsed and bought from some of them - some are great to deal with others not so.

Check his stock over time, if it turns over regularly that is a good thing. If the same cars are there for months on end, I would pass it by. I like to check their credibility as a business - are they able to take card payments, do they have business cards with land line number or address on them, where do they advertise, do the cars have the sellers branding on the plate or on a sticker on the rear screen etc

Bear in mind he wont have the same overheads as dealer or seller with a 'showroom' this should be reflected in how he prices his stock.

Also try to establish where he sources his stock from - some will take cars from leasing companies, some will take older or lower value trade-in stock from dealerships, others will just buy from auction.