Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital TV free to air?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 07:54 AM
Wheelman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone bought one of these Pace or Grundig boxes that get the free to air digital TV channels?
Old 21 May 2002, 09:05 AM
Wheelman
Scooby Regular

No one yet then?
Old 21 May 2002, 09:37 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not a set-top box, but we rent our telly (too risky these days to buy something when specs are changing, and plasma screen prices tumbling towards realistic prices).

When I changed ours at Christmas (I was bored - that's the great thing about rental TVs ) I switched from a 32" w/s Phillips to a 32" w/s Sony with a digital decoder in it. It was £2/month cheaper for the Sony.

We get all the free digichannels, and there's a slot in the back of the telly if we want to get a pay-per-view card.

As an aside, a guy I work with bought a Pace digibox, and appears to be pleased with it...
Old 21 May 2002, 09:46 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

The general advice with these boxes is don't buy yet, wait a couple of months to see what rises from the ashes of ITV Dig.
Old 21 May 2002, 12:18 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Should have got on of the ITV boxes on subscription before it all went wrong. The subscriptions have been cancelled but the boxes aren't being collected back again!

No if like me you thought it would be better to get a pre-paid contract you just sit there looking at E4 thinking I want SKY One!
Old 21 May 2002, 10:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

i bought the on digital box the day the service launched.

It was only when sky decided to give their digital boxes away that the terestrial boxes became free. On Digital didnt see that one coming and so had to follow suit. That was the first nail in the coffin.

I still have this box obviously, so get the free to air digi chanells, which are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

All i want is a choice. I cant have cable or satelite where i live so i am now screwed. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 21 May 2002, 10:34 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Presumably this is the terrestrial digibox you are talking about,rather than the satellite free to air system.There is alot of choice with satellite free to air,some which you can pick up using the sky digibox(limited though).There is more choice with a normal digibox,which is o.k if you are multi-lingual.
Could go on but i dont want to bore anyone,if i haven't already done so!
Regards
Dean
Old 21 May 2002, 11:19 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Some people have the ITV-Digital boxes on 'rental' and they may yet get collected. It depends on what rises out of the ashes. My father phoned them about his box yesterday...

My brother got his Pace box last week and it's pretty neat. Very small (Think size and shape of lemon half moon cake (Just not as tasty)) and every thing works as should. Picture's spot on and he can't complain, especially now he's upgraded his aerial too.

Simon.