Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

When are police allowed to speed etc?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 08:40 PM
andrewjlane
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has always been my understanding that police cars, like other motorists, have to obey speed limits, other road rules etc unless on an emergency call. Also an emergency call must entail lights and/or sirens. Am I right? If so, the police car that joined the A3 behind me the other day in a 50mph limit then went past me at about 70mph was breaking the law. Also, normal parking rules must apply so no parking on double yellows or pavements outside the cop shop? Who finds it annoying to be on the motorway when the traffic slows only to take 5 minutes to pass a police volvo in the inside lane doing 55mph whilst everyone passed at no more than 72mph?
Old 21 May 2002, 08:57 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I would think they would have to have the blues and twos on when driving well over the speed limit but have no idea on the specifics of the law.

As for parking - well Id rather they parked on double yellows by their nick if it meant they respond to my emergency call any faster, whether it be 30 seconds or 5 minutes. I think these situatons require a bit of common sense and judgement.
Old 21 May 2002, 09:20 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Apparently they can put the blue lights on and speed when they are late for lunch or its near clocking off time. A mate of mine (deceased) was a bobby, he once raced home with the lights on because he'd had a tip off that his missus had got the coalman round on his nightshift. Turns out, it wasn't the coalman, it was the insurance man. The coalman had been there the week before....Its a funny old game...Blutes
Old 21 May 2002, 11:16 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

no - as far as I'm aware the police as a rule are exempt from speed, as long as the driver can justify their reasons for exceeding it at the time. The same goes for seatbelt legislation.

Also, parking is an interesting one. Imagine the scene. You live in a permit-controlled area, and report a burglary. The police can't park as they don't have a permit, and spend the next 45 minutes looking for a parking space. I can see what you're saying, but you have to think on both sides.
Old 21 May 2002, 11:28 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

But it seems to be okay for them to park a meatwagon in one of the two disabled parking spaces - as I spotted tonight (Brighton Rd, Sutton). I suppose they were on important business in the video shop or something.

Steve
Old 21 May 2002, 11:31 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I can only speak in general. I can't comment on the decisions of others.

If its any conselation, I wouldn't ever take up a disabled bay, at work or otherwise (I have a disabled grandfather) - nor would I park in the "kiddy on board" bays in supermarkets unless I have the kids in the car.

(this post is an attempt to restore human faith in the job)

[Edited by BuRR - 5/21/2002 11:32:00 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 11:41 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

LOL i make them slow down when they are behind me. So many have back lights out to tut tut
Old 21 May 2002, 11:44 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

BuRR mate,

I normally have no problem & I understand that it can be a thankless job. It just shows that a moment or two's thought would prevent a lot of the bad PR.

Cheers
Steve
Old 21 May 2002, 11:48 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

What people forget is that under the unform, we're just people. All shapes, sizes, cultures, sexes and religions. We're human, affected by the same emotions etc as everyone else.

Like the saying goes "one bad apple........." - maybe a bad experience people may have had has tarred their opinions of the whole police force.

just remember - some of us care. Some of us have values.

[Edited by BuRR - 5/21/2002 11:48:59 PM]