Giving Up Smoking....

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2013, 12:30 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Giving Up Smoking....

....again!

Gone totally cold turkey. Problem is that it's turned me into a veritable rage-moster-psycho-headcase with a temper like a viking.

Anybody got any tips aside from using nicotine or valium! (I also have bad knees so running is out).

Anything dietary etc. that could help? Any methods of calming down or taking mind of things that you can advise me of?

Many thanks all!
Old 18 April 2013, 12:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hypnosis
Old 18 April 2013, 12:59 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some patches.

I was dubious about them but they really took the edge off.
Old 18 April 2013, 01:03 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

Boots Nic assist, 4.99 for 36 lozenges

Work a treat and a lot cheaper than nicorette
Old 18 April 2013, 01:11 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went cold turkey without any patches or other 'help'. It's horrible and makes you ratty as hell, unable to concentrate, generally a bit out-of-sorts and is hard work but it works. I've not had one for 4 years now. Totally worth it.
Old 18 April 2013, 01:54 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Hypnosis
Nah, tried that, didn't work
I found a decent book(about quitting smoking) was the best.
It took away the fear of quitting, then you can quit in stages.
What I did was choose to not smoke during the day, and after this was totally comfortable, then you just extend that into the evening until you quit completely.

Oh - and don't 'give up' anything, quit instead
Old 18 April 2013, 02:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I did the same and suffered the same way.

No one could ever say it is not a hard thing to achieve. I just kept thinking of the advantages not only to my pocket but also being able to get away from the dreadful risk to my health. The fact of being finished off in such an unpleasant way just did not bear thinking about! Getting that disease seems to catch you out with no real warning and usually no escape either.

I can assure you that when you have succeeded in freeing yourself of the habit, the sense of achievement is hard to beat.

Good luck.

Les
Old 18 April 2013, 03:02 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Hey thanks all!

Leslie and Hill79, yep sounds like you know what I'm going through. I feel sorry for the guys around me but yes, the end result should be worth it

Another guy here at my work has quit and he's pretty relaxed but does go to the gym like a madman, he's told me that he's found it's really eased up after a few days.

Alpha, I'm thinking the lozenges could be a good idea, never tried those before.
Want to avoid using something like an inhaler as it will keep the habit going in reality. Rescue Dude, Patches make me itch like heck and I'm fairly certain I have an allergic reaction to them (end up looking like a Dalmatian after using those for a while!).

My brother tried hypnosis, twice, and it unfortunately didn't work. I know it won't work on me but thanks very much for the suggestion, Dpb

Urban, that's also a good idea. Yes, psychology is the best way I suppose. I have and Alan Carr book that I haven't read yet but I'll be getting into that soon.

I'm a fairly high energy salesperson anyway, so this is causing people some serious grief

Thanks guys!
Old 18 April 2013, 03:08 PM
ron_uk2000
Scooby Regular

Switch to vaping mate

You still smoke nicotine, But without all the horrible nasties of real smoking

All your doing is breathing in water vapor with nicotine

Oh and a whole range of flavors to smoke too

Buy the kit £30

http://www.vape-space.co.uk/twin-bla...ce4s-147-p.asp

Buy some smoking flavors

http://www.vape-space.co.uk/e-liquid...-18mg-32-c.asp

Sorted

Keep smoking without killing yourself

.... To add

I've been 12 weeks now not smoking

Taste has come back, Smell has come back, Breathing is 100% better , i sleep so much better at night now , and i wake up feeling like i've had a decent nights sleep

And after switching to vaping ... I will never ever smoke them horrible foul tasting cancer stick again !!!

Last edited by ron_uk2000; 18 April 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 18 April 2013, 03:38 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

I used the Alan Carr book, went from 30+ marlboro per day to 0 over night that was nearly 7 years ago. Personaly I'd say the main part of stopping smoking is that YOU want to stop. If you're heart isnt really into it, whatever method you go for wont work.

Just my tuppence worth. Good luck mate!!!!
Old 18 April 2013, 04:10 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Five months for me tomorrow since I came off them, Champix did the business ok for me. I did have some sleepless nights though which made me like a fecking bear having a bad day!

You can try all the fancy tablets, plastic ****, hypnosis etc you want, but basically at the end of the day it's all down to yourself, always remember it is do able because many others have done it before you..
Old 18 April 2013, 04:29 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Five months for me tomorrow since I came off them, Champix did the business ok for me. I did have some sleepless nights though which made me like a fecking bear having a bad day!

You can try all the fancy tablets, plastic ****, hypnosis etc you want, but basically at the end of the day it's all down to yourself, always remember it is do able because many others have done it before you..
Sound advice also.

I remember the first time I went all day without a smoke and thought - this is pretty easy.
Keep refraining from smoking during the day and you will get confident that you can do it.
Once you have that initial confidence then the remainder is easy
Old 18 April 2013, 05:57 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

Stopping smoking is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, but its also a great feeling once you have weathered the storm. It'll never completely leave you but it gets a lot easier.

Cold turkey is the best way and most successful way to stop. Don't kid yourself that the patches etc will bring you down easier, you'll be back on the cigs before you know it. The best advice I can give you is don't give up! It was my fifth attempt before I managed to quit for good.

When I stopped I found weight training to be a great help. Good exercise and gives an outlet for the mood swings

Last edited by YoungY25; 18 April 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 18 April 2013, 08:19 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I had my last smoke on Saturday. I've gone the cold turkey route. I expected to be climbing the walls by now, but I am in fact quite upbeat. I get the odd urge(after eating etc)to reach for tobacco but nothing more than that. I am well chuffed that it is proving to be easier than expected.
Old 18 April 2013, 10:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Another cold Turkey one here....

First two days were hell, stomach cramps, tremors, generally feeling ****e,

(one of the main reasons not to restart, id never want to go throuigh that again lol)

I found a complete change to my routine worked.... use the non smoking canteen, dont mix with people who smoke / dont go pubbbing / clubbing etc.

oh and polo mints whenever i got the craving.... (i put on 3 stone lol), but took that off eventually.

I then marked it in days, weeks months, and finally years... been given up for 13 years, now...

If you really want to do it you will, you dont need gizmo's patches etc.

Mart
Old 18 April 2013, 10:26 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360

oh and polo mints whenever i got the craving.... (i put on 3 stone lol), but took that off eventually.
Two stone for me!

Torquemada, you have just taken the first step to being a batfastard!

Not only do you get to give up smoking you also get to go on a ******* diet as well, how cools that?
Old 19 April 2013, 12:34 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ron_uk2000
Switch to vaping mate
Thanks mate, tried that, decided due to the lack of clinical trials and testing that it was probably as bad for me as smoking, sooner not pump another carcinogen/poison into my body if I can help it! Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 19 April 2013, 12:36 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BadBadLeeroyBrown
I used the Alan Carr book, went from 30+ marlboro per day to 0 over night that was nearly 7 years ago. Personaly I'd say the main part of stopping smoking is that YOU want to stop. If you're heart isnt really into it, whatever method you go for wont work.

Just my tuppence worth. Good luck mate!!!!
Impressive! I'm on day 2 now. I want to smoke for both health and saving money reasons. The fact that it's nearly a tenner for 20 cigs is mental, plus killing myself by inhaling smoke from burning leaves seems a bit daft to me now!
Old 19 April 2013, 12:38 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk

Nice one mate. As you say, it's me that wants to stop, just a shame there is so much collateral damage in my moody wake! Can't do champix apparently, they tell me I might end up throwing myself off a bridge or something!
Old 19 April 2013, 12:38 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Sound advice also.

I remember the first time I went all day without a smoke and thought - this is pretty easy.
Keep refraining from smoking during the day and you will get confident that you can do it.
Once you have that initial confidence then the remainder is easy
yeah, good advice from ya both, thanks!
Old 19 April 2013, 12:42 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by YoungY25
Stopping smoking is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, but its also a great feeling once you have weathered the storm. It'll never completely leave you but it gets a lot easier.

Cold turkey is the best way and most successful way to stop. Don't kid yourself that the patches etc will bring you down easier, you'll be back on the cigs before you know it. The best advice I can give you is don't give up! It was my fifth attempt before I managed to quit for good.

When I stopped I found weight training to be a great help. Good exercise and gives an outlet for the mood swings
Sounds good, need to get the weights out of the garage to stop myself turning into the blob like Dunk and Mart have mentioned, lol!

mapgepaster, I am jealous! Amazing how differently people react to withdrawal!

p.s. sorry for the multiple reply posts everyone, not very good at putting it all in one post!

Thanks again, your support/advice is really appreciated at this time!
Old 19 April 2013, 12:43 PM
nizcon
Scooby Regular

I'm also a cold turkey-ist.
Had a few workmates quit with me and the friendly competition was enough to stop me reaching for one in the early stages.
Gets easier as time goes on.

Best of luck with it.
Old 19 April 2013, 12:55 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizcon
Had a few workmates quit with me and the friendly competition was enough to stop me reaching for one in the early stages.
Gets easier as time goes on.

Best of luck with it.
Thanks mate. Fortunately another chap here has just quit smoking as well so we are trying to do exactly what you mentioned, which is nice
Old 19 April 2013, 02:18 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Keep it going mate, just think of the nice treats you'll be able to afford for your car!!! I could never afford my scoob if I still smoked!!!
Old 20 April 2013, 03:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizcon
Old 20 April 2013, 03:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good for the ones that are trying to give up. Do it, and be proud of yourself.