ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Giving Up Smoking.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/972304-giving-up-smoking.html)

Torquemada 18 April 2013 12:30 PM

Giving Up Smoking....

....again!

Gone totally cold turkey. Problem is that it's turned me into a veritable rage-moster-psycho-headcase with a temper like a viking. :o :nono:

Anybody got any tips aside from using nicotine or valium! (I also have bad knees so running is out).

Anything dietary etc. that could help? Any methods of calming down or taking mind of things that you can advise me of?

Many thanks all! :)

dpb 18 April 2013 12:52 PM

Hypnosis :thumb:

Rescue Dude 18 April 2013 12:59 PM

Get some patches.

I was dubious about them but they really took the edge off.

alphaj12 18 April 2013 01:03 PM

Boots Nic assist, 4.99 for 36 lozenges

Work a treat and a lot cheaper than nicorette

hill79 18 April 2013 01:11 PM

I went cold turkey without any patches or other 'help'. It's horrible and makes you ratty as hell, unable to concentrate, generally a bit out-of-sorts and is hard work but it works. I've not had one for 4 years now. Totally worth it.

urban 18 April 2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11062685)
Hypnosis :thumb:

Nah, tried that, didn't work
I found a decent book(about quitting smoking) was the best.
It took away the fear of quitting, then you can quit in stages.
What I did was choose to not smoke during the day, and after this was totally comfortable, then you just extend that into the evening until you quit completely.

Oh - and don't 'give up' anything, quit instead

Leslie 18 April 2013 02:48 PM

I did the same and suffered the same way.

No one could ever say it is not a hard thing to achieve. I just kept thinking of the advantages not only to my pocket but also being able to get away from the dreadful risk to my health. The fact of being finished off in such an unpleasant way just did not bear thinking about! Getting that disease seems to catch you out with no real warning and usually no escape either.

I can assure you that when you have succeeded in freeing yourself of the habit, the sense of achievement is hard to beat.

Good luck.

Les

Torquemada 18 April 2013 03:02 PM

Hey thanks all! :)

Leslie and Hill79, yep sounds like you know what I'm going through. I feel sorry for the guys around me but yes, the end result should be worth it :)

Another guy here at my work has quit and he's pretty relaxed but does go to the gym like a madman, he's told me that he's found it's really eased up after a few days.

Alpha, I'm thinking the lozenges could be a good idea, never tried those before.
Want to avoid using something like an inhaler as it will keep the habit going in reality. Rescue Dude, Patches make me itch like heck and I'm fairly certain I have an allergic reaction to them (end up looking like a Dalmatian after using those for a while!:lol1:).

My brother tried hypnosis, twice, and it unfortunately didn't work. I know it won't work on me but thanks very much for the suggestion, Dpb :)

Urban, that's also a good idea. Yes, psychology is the best way I suppose. I have and Alan Carr book that I haven't read yet but I'll be getting into that soon.

I'm a fairly high energy salesperson anyway, so this is causing people some serious grief :lol1:

Thanks guys!

ron_uk2000 18 April 2013 03:08 PM

Switch to vaping mate :thumb:

You still smoke nicotine, But without all the horrible nasties of real smoking

All your doing is breathing in water vapor with nicotine :D

Oh and a whole range of flavors to smoke too :thumb:

Buy the kit £30

http://www.vape-space.co.uk/twin-bla...ce4s-147-p.asp

Buy some smoking flavors

http://www.vape-space.co.uk/e-liquid...-18mg-32-c.asp

Sorted

Keep smoking without killing yourself :thumb:

.... To add

I've been 12 weeks now not smoking :D

Taste has come back, Smell has come back, Breathing is 100% better , i sleep so much better at night now , and i wake up feeling like i've had a decent nights sleep :)

And after switching to vaping ... I will never ever smoke them horrible foul tasting cancer stick again !!!

BadBadLeeroyBrown 18 April 2013 03:38 PM

I used the Alan Carr book, went from 30+ marlboro per day to 0 over night that was nearly 7 years ago. Personaly I'd say the main part of stopping smoking is that YOU want to stop. If you're heart isnt really into it, whatever method you go for wont work.

Just my tuppence worth. Good luck mate!!!!

RA Dunk 18 April 2013 04:10 PM

Five months for me tomorrow since I came off them, Champix did the business ok for me. I did have some sleepless nights though which made me like a fecking bear having a bad day!

You can try all the fancy tablets, plastic fags, hypnosis etc you want, but basically at the end of the day it's all down to yourself, always remember it is do able because many others have done it before you..

urban 18 April 2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11062915)
Five months for me tomorrow since I came off them, Champix did the business ok for me. I did have some sleepless nights though which made me like a fecking bear having a bad day!

You can try all the fancy tablets, plastic fags, hypnosis etc you want, but basically at the end of the day it's all down to yourself, always remember it is do able because many others have done it before you..

Sound advice also.

I remember the first time I went all day without a smoke and thought - this is pretty easy.
Keep refraining from smoking during the day and you will get confident that you can do it.
Once you have that initial confidence then the remainder is easy

YoungY25 18 April 2013 05:57 PM

Stopping smoking is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, but its also a great feeling once you have weathered the storm. It'll never completely leave you but it gets a lot easier.

Cold turkey is the best way and most successful way to stop. Don't kid yourself that the patches etc will bring you down easier, you'll be back on the cigs before you know it. The best advice I can give you is don't give up! It was my fifth attempt before I managed to quit for good.

When I stopped I found weight training to be a great help. Good exercise and gives an outlet for the mood swings :thumb:

magepaster 18 April 2013 08:19 PM

I had my last smoke on Saturday. I've gone the cold turkey route. I expected to be climbing the walls by now, but I am in fact quite upbeat. I get the odd urge(after eating etc)to reach for tobacco but nothing more than that. I am well chuffed that it is proving to be easier than expected.

mart360 18 April 2013 10:08 PM

Another cold Turkey one here....

First two days were hell, stomach cramps, tremors, generally feeling ****e,

(one of the main reasons not to restart, id never want to go throuigh that again lol)

I found a complete change to my routine worked.... use the non smoking canteen, dont mix with people who smoke / dont go pubbbing / clubbing etc.

oh and polo mints whenever i got the craving.... (i put on 3 stone lol), but took that off eventually.

I then marked it in days, weeks months, and finally years... been given up for 13 years, now...

If you really want to do it you will, you dont need gizmo's patches etc.

Mart

RA Dunk 18 April 2013 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 11063384)

oh and polo mints whenever i got the craving.... (i put on 3 stone lol), but took that off eventually.

Two stone for me! :lol1:

Torquemada, you have just taken the first step to being a batfastard!

Not only do you get to give up smoking you also get to go on a fcuking diet as well, how cools that? :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Torquemada 19 April 2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ron_uk2000 (Post 11062852)
Switch to vaping mate :thumb:

Thanks mate, tried that, decided due to the lack of clinical trials and testing that it was probably as bad for me as smoking, sooner not pump another carcinogen/poison into my body if I can help it! Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Torquemada 19 April 2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BadBadLeeroyBrown (Post 11062879)
I used the Alan Carr book, went from 30+ marlboro per day to 0 over night that was nearly 7 years ago. Personaly I'd say the main part of stopping smoking is that YOU want to stop. If you're heart isnt really into it, whatever method you go for wont work.

Just my tuppence worth. Good luck mate!!!!

Impressive! I'm on day 2 now. I want to smoke for both health and saving money reasons. The fact that it's nearly a tenner for 20 cigs is mental, plus killing myself by inhaling smoke from burning leaves seems a bit daft to me now! :)

Torquemada 19 April 2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11062915)

Nice one mate. As you say, it's me that wants to stop, just a shame there is so much collateral damage in my moody wake! :lol1: Can't do champix apparently, they tell me I might end up throwing myself off a bridge or something! :Suspiciou

Torquemada 19 April 2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11062923)
Sound advice also.

I remember the first time I went all day without a smoke and thought - this is pretty easy.
Keep refraining from smoking during the day and you will get confident that you can do it.
Once you have that initial confidence then the remainder is easy

yeah, good advice from ya both, thanks!

Torquemada 19 April 2013 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by YoungY25 (Post 11063032)
Stopping smoking is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, but its also a great feeling once you have weathered the storm. It'll never completely leave you but it gets a lot easier.

Cold turkey is the best way and most successful way to stop. Don't kid yourself that the patches etc will bring you down easier, you'll be back on the cigs before you know it. The best advice I can give you is don't give up! It was my fifth attempt before I managed to quit for good.

When I stopped I found weight training to be a great help. Good exercise and gives an outlet for the mood swings :thumb:

Sounds good, need to get the weights out of the garage to stop myself turning into the blob like Dunk and Mart have mentioned, lol!

mapgepaster, I am jealous! Amazing how differently people react to withdrawal!

p.s. sorry for the multiple reply posts everyone, not very good at putting it all in one post! :thumb:

Thanks again, your support/advice is really appreciated at this time! :)

nizcon 19 April 2013 12:43 PM

I'm also a cold turkey-ist.
Had a few workmates quit with me and the friendly competition was enough to stop me reaching for one in the early stages.
Gets easier as time goes on.

Best of luck with it.

Torquemada 19 April 2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by nizcon (Post 11063772)
Had a few workmates quit with me and the friendly competition was enough to stop me reaching for one in the early stages.
Gets easier as time goes on.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks mate. Fortunately another chap here has just quit smoking as well so we are trying to do exactly what you mentioned, which is nice :)

BadBadLeeroyBrown 19 April 2013 02:18 PM

Keep it going mate, just think of the nice treats you'll be able to afford for your car!!! I could never afford my scoob if I still smoked!!!

Turbohot 20 April 2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by nizcon (Post 11063772)

:lol1:

Turbohot 20 April 2013 03:29 PM

Good for the ones that are trying to give up. Do it, and be proud of yourself. :cool: