Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is having time off between jobs really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2013, 11:05 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is having time off between jobs really that bad?

I have been made redundant (April 1st) after 17 years working for the same company. I'd like to take my time looking for a new job, deciding what to do. Are gaps in your CV really that bad, even if you say "i just wanted a break". That was 17 years of 6x12 hour shifts on, one off, pretty much. Moneywise there are no problems.

I've also been offered a temporary one month contract, but its at a place i hate, and job i loathe. In todays climate i'm made to feel like an outcast for not taking it.
Old 09 April 2013, 11:17 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I was in the same position 10 years ago.

took 8 months break to see some places I'd always wanted to.

If anywhere looking to employ you think this is a problem - you probably don't want to work there !
Old 09 April 2013, 12:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Had 6 months off in 2011after redundancy, got bored so started up on my own and haven't looked back ' best thing I ever did.
Old 09 April 2013, 01:03 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Chip, Jasey, what did you live on. Savings or benefits, or both.

Last edited by paulr; 09 April 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09 April 2013, 02:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How can you possibly be criticised for spending time looking for a job I wonder!

Les
Old 09 April 2013, 02:39 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I don't see it as an issue. If they mentioned it in an interview you could use it to your advantage "I didn't want to take the first job on offer because I had to work, I would rather wait until a position came up in a company that I admire and would like to work for"
Old 09 April 2013, 02:41 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I don't see it as an issue. If they mentioned it in an interview you could use it to your advantage "I didn't want to take the first job on offer because I had to work, I would rather wait until a position came up in a company that I admire and would like to work for"
And thats exactly the case.
Reading some other stuff on the internet, apparently the job centre "hound" you into applying for everything, and taking anything. I've read many stories of people just signing off because they are fed up with it.
Old 09 April 2013, 03:16 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by paulr
Chip, Jasey, what did you live on. Savings or benefits, or both.
I was lucky enough to get a decent redundancy payment
Old 09 April 2013, 03:23 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think it all depends on what you do with your time off. If you just spend it sitting in your pants watching TV, that will be problematic come interview time when you are asked what you did with that time off. Travelling, expanding your horizons, learning a skill, etc. are all good.
Old 09 April 2013, 03:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Think it all depends on what you do with your time off. If you just spend it sitting in your pants watching TV, that will be problematic come interview time when you are asked what you did with that time off. Travelling, expanding your horizons, learning a skill, etc. are all good.

This.

When I lost my last job 5 years ago this month, I tried asking about at the training centres etc. when signing on if there were any skills I could volunteer for to look good on my CV. As I didn't have an addiction to drugs or dyslexia (C and above in Maths, English and Sciences), there was nothing they could offer me.

At my interview for my apprenticeship I made a point of explaining what I had done in the time between losing my job and applying at the steelworks so they knew I had nothing to hide.

Love my job now
Old 09 April 2013, 04:09 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

As has been said, I don't think it'll be an issue so long as the employment gap isn't due to you being unemployable. If you can afford to do it, go for it - its not often you get the chance to take that much of a break from work!

As for the Job Centre trying to get people to take pretty much any job... too right! Thats exactly what they're there for - it may not be the ideal approach for the small number of skilled people biding their time waiting for the right job to come along, but its certainly the right approach for the vast majority of bone idle t*wts on job seekers allowance, IMO.
Old 09 April 2013, 04:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hill79
As has been said, I don't think it'll be an issue so long as the employment gap isn't due to you being unemployable. If you can afford to do it, go for it - its not often you get the chance to take that much of a break from work!

As for the Job Centre trying to get people to take pretty much any job... too right! Thats exactly what they're there for - it may not be the ideal approach for the small number of skilled people biding their time waiting for the right job to come along, but its certainly the right approach for the vast majority of bone idle t*wts on job seekers allowance, IMO.
17 years of a 72 hour week. I think i'm entitled to a break.
Old 09 April 2013, 04:26 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

17 years of a 72 hour week. I think i'm entitled to a break.
Absolutely and as I said, if money isn't an issue then go for it - I'd jump at the chance.
Old 09 April 2013, 04:53 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Just register as "self employed" say your doing some consultantacy etc, it will fill the "gap" and you never know it might become a way of life.
Old 09 April 2013, 05:35 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

And thats exactly the case.
Reading some other stuff on the internet, apparently the job centre "hound" you into applying for everything, and taking anything. I've read many stories of people just signing off because they are fed up with it.
I used to work in a JC, not sure if it's still the case but Job Seekers at the time were allowed a grace period where they only looked for work in their usual profession for the first few months. If they hadn't found anything suitable after the grace period they then had to look for any work.
If that is still the case it should have been explained and agreed upon when you first claimed (years ago that I worked there though).

It is a condition of claiming that you do look for work, when I left my last job I could have claimed but chose not to because I didn't want the hassle but appreciate I was fortunate that I could afford to do that.
You could just tell them that you look on the internet every day, check the local paper regularly, are asking friends and family etc.
Old 09 April 2013, 05:36 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Decision made.........thankyou everyone.

I rang the place up (COB, its a place you know well in Scunny) and told them i'm not interested. I do want to work, but not at any price. Feel loads better.