Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Working notice period

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2012, 06:12 PM
the_msp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working notice period

I have been offered a new job and am therefore planning to resign from my current job. I have two weeks holidays booked with my current job. Does anyone know can I hand in my notice before I go on holiday and my 2 weeks notice period is therefore used up by holidays, or do I actually have to work the 2 weeks notice?

Thanks in advance
Old 28 March 2012, 07:26 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your holiday is booked then i suspect there is little they can do about it but i'm sure someone will confirm
Old 28 March 2012, 07:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

U can hand ur notice before holidays i belive as u are entiltled to a certain amount of holidays per year depending on what holidays u have remaining u will get paid for them and if its less than 2 weeks holidays u have then the remainder u will not get paid
Old 28 March 2012, 08:55 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

My contract states (not that it is worth the paper it is written on LOL ) that upon resigning some or all holidays accrued may be taken as part of your notice period

I think we have that clause in so that the boss can make you take unused holidays as part of your notice so you dont have to work there and he has no extra to pay you when you leave

But I have a tw@t of a drug dealing, fraudster, coke snorting, weed smoking boss
Old 28 March 2012, 09:15 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Wot ^^^ said. Basically you need to have earnt that holiday entitlement (I presume 10 days?) before the end of your notice period. But check your contract.

Dave
Of course if u have earned them i.e if you have 5 days holidays when u give ur notice and u take 2 weeks off, then u only get paid for 1 week only then the 2nd week unpaid
Old 28 March 2012, 09:20 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Of course if u have earned them i.e if you have 5 days holidays when u give ur notice and u take 2 weeks off, then u only get paid for 1 week only then the 2nd week unpaid
Polite nudge: You not u please?

(and legally you don't have to work your notice period at all. It's actually there for your protection. It's not recommended just to walk out though; burning bridges in that way is never a good idea)
Old 28 March 2012, 09:47 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Kieran

I have always been led to believe that if you fail to give the correct notice period set out in your contract then you are in fact in breach and legal action can be taken against you

I guess this largely depends on the type of work you do of course

In my case if I just walked out then the boss would have to pay for someone to come in and fill my role, or he may lose customers because I walk out

Example is today I have been for a meeting for a large job (with many more orders in the pipeline) which starts on Monday, the customer has specifically requested I project manage the job onsite for the next 5 or 6 weeks

If I walk on friday (part of my intentions) then the customer won't be best pleased and could pull the 200k of outstanding orders they have lined up for us
Old 28 March 2012, 09:56 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just done a bit of digging - the legal minimum you have to give is one week.
Old 28 March 2012, 10:05 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Is that really correct, oh dear! employers that pay monthly wages expect you to work a months notice, so are they making us work extra when we dont need to?
Old 28 March 2012, 10:57 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Hols accrue pro rata per month so if you get 12 days a year, say, have worked 6 months then you can take 6 days leave. At our place you can either take leave due during notice period or get paid it instead.

TX.
Old 28 March 2012, 11:14 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

I think one of the main reasons for a months notice is generally to give the employer time to find a suitable replacement
Old 28 March 2012, 11:34 PM
the_msp
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks all. I have since found this on http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...s/DG_10034711:

When you leave your job

When you leave a job you can take the statutory holiday entitlement that you have accrued up to the time you leave during your notice period, as long as you give the right notice and your employer agrees.

You also have the right to be paid for any untaken statutory holiday entitlement that you have accrued.

If you have taken more leave than your accrued entitlement, your employer shouldn't take money from your final pay unless it's been agreed beforehand. Check your contract to see if there's any such agreement.
As my holidays were booked in January (and carrying over 6 days from last year so I have enough for the 2 weeks) and they have thus already granted my holiday entitlement I am ok to hand my notice in on what is essentially my last day.
Old 29 March 2012, 07:49 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just done exactly that last Friday !
Scared and stressed out, but at last I feel alive, after five years of descent into hades...

dunx

P.S. Been a nice week to be "free", next week looks a bit more bleak
Old 29 March 2012, 08:01 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Ill keep my ears open for u dunx, any particular work. What was you doing before?