Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New post rates - this is getting silly

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2012, 12:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New post rates - this is getting silly

First Class stamps to increase to 60p from 30 April. 30% increase. Just what we all need right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17522500

I guess I'll buy a couple of hundred now while thay are still "cheap"

dl
Old 27 March 2012, 12:25 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

David out curiosity how many letter do you send a week?

I probably send 2-3 a year
Old 27 March 2012, 12:26 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Exactly Ant, things like the internet have made Royal Mail best part of a redundant requirement in the last 10 years.
Old 27 March 2012, 12:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I do a lot of business mail shots so about 20 letters a day. More chance of success than using e-mail as the internet is saturated with business crap.

david
Old 27 March 2012, 12:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

So why not look at the cost of a franking machine or something then David?
Old 27 March 2012, 12:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I expect it will go up further after the privatisation of Royal Mail.
Old 27 March 2012, 12:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
So why not look at the cost of a franking machine or something then David?

I probably should do tbh. I did look at options a while back but it was hardly worth it then. Might be now. Or I might just give up - I'm in that sort of mood at present

dl
Old 27 March 2012, 01:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

To be fair 60p is still a cheap way of getting something from one end of the country to the other overnight

The problem the Royal Mail have is competition, private carrier companies have been permitted to cherrry pick the profitable side of the business, but with no requirement to meet the public service obligations imposed upon the Royal Mail
Old 27 March 2012, 03:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I do a lot of business mail shots so about 20 letters a day. More chance of success than using e-mail as the internet is saturated with business crap.

david

Current using our franking* account, a second class letter is currently 28pence (vs 36p).

*avoid Pitney bowes though, absolutely appauling customer service...and their franking machines are a load of poo too (ink costs, reliability etc).

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 March 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 27 March 2012, 07:37 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

We send about 50 parcels a day via royal mail so this will be a massive increase even though we use account prices that are quite a bit cheaper. Although the cost of a letter is not really important the cost of parcels will also rise the same sort of amount, so online prices will have to rise, some items such as small bulky items will no longer be viable to post.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Current using our franking* account, a second class letter is currently 28pence (vs 36p).

*avoid Pitney bowes though, absolutely appauling customer service...and their franking machines are a load of poo too (ink costs, reliability etc).

Is it true that 2nd class post is not reliable at all? Apparently 1st class is associated with the postman, whereas 2nd class is believed to have a relationship with fate. Is that kind of correct?

Who should one have an account with? I am asking because I am interested in knowing a bit more this franking thingy before I decide to get one. it will be for business, not just for Christmas.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

frankin sense and myrrh ?
Old 27 March 2012, 11:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
frankin sense and myrrh ?
What???

Speak in English, Duncs!

Sorry, type in English, I mean.
Old 28 March 2012, 12:07 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Is it true that 2nd class post is not reliable at all? Apparently 1st class is associated with the postman, whereas 2nd class is believed to have a relationship with fate. Is that kind of correct?

Who should one have an account with? I am asking because I am interested in knowing a bit more this franking thingy before I decide to get one. it will be for business, not just for Christmas.
Well with franking, because its stamped with a serial number and dated, it can serve as proof of postage. I'm unaware of any of our 2nd class stuff going missing, but usually its informal correspondance and its all within our locality of the Midlands area, so it not like I'm sending stuff to the Outer Hebrides. More pressing stuff like invoices goes 1st class. Final demands are sent via signed for etc.

Although I franked all my christams cards and sent them second class at christmas (Shhhh. ) and I 'think' everyone received their card.

Currently we're using FP (Francotyp-Postalia ) and have a little mymail franking machine. Not the quickest of things on the planet, but its fine for us as we have about 20 odd letters to send out everyday. It uses the printer workings out of a old-school Hewlet Packard 720 printer, so nice big ink cartridge and pretty solid printing internals (unlike the Pitney Bowes one which hemorrhaged ink everywhere).

Downloading postage (bit like pay as you go) via the internet is pretty pain free once set up, but you do have to follow the instruction by the letter as it works via USB on a computer and the software will only connect when the franking machine is in standby. But it can work via the phone line instead (although it does incurr a call charge).
Old 28 March 2012, 12:57 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well with franking, because its stamped with a serial number and dated, it can serve as proof of postage. I'm unaware of any of our 2nd class stuff going missing, but usually its informal correspondance and its all within our locality of the Midlands area, so it not like I'm sending stuff to the Outer Hebrides. More pressing stuff like invoices goes 1st class. Final demands are sent via signed for etc.
Ok. So, 2nd class has proven (or is believed) to be convincing for informal and not so important postage. Still not sure whether it is to do with the time 2nd class takes (minimum 2 days; unlike next day 1st class), or because its pants all round.

Although I franked all my christams cards and sent them second class at christmas (Shhhh. ) and I 'think' everyone received their card.
Yeah. Your "thinking" (up there^) but not firmly believing has a lot to do with what you think of 2nd class postage (as well as of your Christmas card receivers), then.

Currently we're using FP (Francotyp-Postalia ) and have a little mymail franking machine. Not the quickest of things on the planet, but its fine for us as we have about 20 odd letters to send out everyday. It uses the printer workings out of a old-school Hewlet Packard 720 printer, so nice big ink cartridge and pretty solid printing internals (unlike the Pitney Bowes one which hemorrhaged ink everywhere).

Downloading postage (bit like pay as you go) via the internet is pretty pain free once set up, but you do have to follow the instruction by the letter as it works via USB on a computer and the software will only connect when the franking machine is in standby. But it can work via the phone line instead (although it does incurr a call charge).

Many thanks, Ali. Above information^ is very useful.
Old 28 March 2012, 01:35 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

cant complain tbh still thinks its a bargain

i dont think the parcel service will rise tbh, too much competition
Old 28 March 2012, 02:04 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
cant complain tbh still thinks its a bargain

i dont think the parcel service will rise tbh, too much competition
The price of parcels is directly related to the cost of a stamp

Old 28 March 2012, 02:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I can't remember the last time I sent a letter. Guess with emails and texts I haven't needed too.
Old 28 March 2012, 02:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I wonder if the channel islands has anything to do with this?

The likes of Moonpig and Amazon Music where stuff I've odered has come the next day is pretty impressive considering the distances involved. The logistics of the transport/sorting costs must be huge. And we're still one of a few countries that employs doorstep deliveies of mail and has loads of postboxes littered everywhere.... Spain have centralised pigeon holes which could be over a mile away from your house! And postboxes are a rare sight.

I say be thankful for what we have.

I do think maybe a time should come wherepostage costs should be dictated by distance. For exmaple the costs have to be cheaper to send stuff within 100 miles of where I live as opposed to sending something to the other end of the country.

Maybe when Scotland becomes independant we'll have to send stuff as international (within EU) mail like we have to do with Ireland. That should cut postage costs for local mail, as employing postman Pat to razz round the highlands in his van to deliver to some remote farmer's doorstep must cost a flippin' fortune.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 March 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 28 March 2012, 03:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

c/o Jack Dee...

"See how far you get with your 60p return train ticket!"

Old 29 March 2012, 01:08 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
c/o Jack Dee...

"See how far you get with your 60p return train ticket!"

exactly
Old 29 March 2012, 01:13 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

letters are dieing off but parcel delivery is going through the roof. i had a towbar with the long bar that fits to the chassis posted for £8, a few years ago that would have been £30 odd quid at least.

as long as there is enough volume for parcelforce i reckon prices wont rise much ,if they do they will go down the pan because of the competition.
Old 29 March 2012, 01:57 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

parcelforce cost prices are going through the roof as are City links
Old 29 March 2012, 08:51 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the channel islands has anything to do with this?

The likes of Moonpig and Amazon Music where stuff I've odered has come the next day is pretty impressive considering the distances involved. The logistics of the transport/sorting costs must be huge. And we're still one of a few countries that employs doorstep deliveies of mail and has loads of postboxes littered everywhere.... Spain have centralised pigeon holes which could be over a mile away from your house! And postboxes are a rare sight.

I say be thankful for what we have.

I do think maybe a time should come wherepostage costs should be dictated by distance. For exmaple the costs have to be cheaper to send stuff within 100 miles of where I live as opposed to sending something to the other end of the country.

Maybe when Scotland becomes independant we'll have to send stuff as international (within EU) mail like we have to do with Ireland. That should cut postage costs for local mail, as employing postman Pat to razz round the highlands in his van to deliver to some remote farmer's doorstep must cost a flippin' fortune.

its the same in the north of england with drivers having to deliver to remote farms so dont think you`ll be saving much there......