Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CCTV Systems.

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2012, 09:08 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCTV Systems.

Can any one on here recommend any good ones? I need one with 4 cameras with night vision etc etc and a DVR to record.

A friend at work sent me this link today and said it was brilliant http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUTIS-250G...item2c600c30b6

Is that any good? as I don't have a clue about these things.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Old 21 March 2012, 09:57 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Check out http://www.cctv42.co.uk/

Site has a lot of good advice and the owners is a Piston Heads Regular
Old 21 March 2012, 11:21 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

if your round the cheshire area my dad fits them for a living. the best type are the dome cameras but they are expensive.

Last edited by millsy3; 21 March 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add more
Old 21 March 2012, 11:31 PM
AWDsu
Scooby Regular

A good supplier is Kestrel electrical Supplies Ltd. Based in the Midlands...but offer advice, quite cheap and sell to the public and will install I think offer free delivery? www.kestrelelectricalsupplies.co.uk
Old 22 March 2012, 12:01 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Not sure where you are mate but can supply and fit in midlands. I did one for a mate with 4 channel D1 quality camera with an outdoor one for £400.

Recommend cctv42 also
Old 22 March 2012, 09:02 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Costco do a decent one also. Just plug and play mate and save the expence of someone fitting it for you...................
Old 22 March 2012, 09:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I would look to wireless if the cameras are any distance from the recorder although you do need to run power to them.
Old 22 March 2012, 10:01 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
I would look to wireless if the cameras are any distance from the recorder although you do need to run power to them.
We looked at this when doing my mates system and the wireless ones will never match the quality of wired and wired are a whole lot cheaper!

The cctv42 site doesn't even sell wireless IIRC because they are not worth the hassle.

If you use cat5 you can send power and video down the same wire so you don't need power sources next to each camera
Old 23 March 2012, 11:33 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Will
Can any one on here recommend any good ones? I need one with 4 cameras with night vision etc etc and a DVR to record.

A friend at work sent me this link today and said it was brilliant http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUTIS-250G...item2c600c30b6

Any pointers would be appreciated.

I have one, got it just after xmas. It has 4 cameras with night vision and i can watch my comeras on my S2 and the system records for up to 120 days if i want it to. I can put single incidents onto a usb if i wanted to give it to the police

My window cleaner fitted the cameras to the house, i did the rest. Really happy with it.
here is what my drive way sees...

and this is night time but the security light is on..

This is how i set the motion detector, the red is the alarmed section

And this is how i can set the alarms..

The camera support connected it wirelessly by remote assistance.
Old 23 March 2012, 12:23 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Very very similar to the one I did for my mate - the interface menu is slightly different but the functioning is near identical.

Plug in cameras - configure the record mode (continuous, motion detected, trigger etc)

You get a web interface and can also use 3rd party (free) Android and iPhone app's to monitor away from home.

They all allow you to download any relevant video's to your local PC (or one you're using to view the stream) and backup to USB.

HTH
Old 23 March 2012, 12:40 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
Very very similar to the one I did for my mate - the interface menu is slightly different but the functioning is near identical.

Plug in cameras - configure the record mode (continuous, motion detected, trigger etc)

You get a web interface and can also use 3rd party (free) Android and iPhone app's to monitor away from home.

They all allow you to download any relevant video's to your local PC (or one you're using to view the stream) and backup to USB.

HTH
I was given 18 metres of cable for each camera but i didnt need it as the DVR is upstairs, hidden, and all 4 cameras are high up under the eaves so not too far to go. Originally i had them too low. All i did was download the app on my phone and i can watch who comes and goes in the day when i am not there, i love my system. It stops the kids playing outside as they are being filmed.
Old 23 March 2012, 01:03 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

lol - did you use cat 5 or coax?
Old 23 March 2012, 01:34 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I used what it came with. The cameras have 2 cables attached. I dont know lol
Old 23 March 2012, 01:42 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

That looks very simlair to mine, was bit concious when I first put it up - worried what the neighbours would think etc, but not an issue at all.

Richard
Old 23 March 2012, 01:50 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Looks good Sarah, is it exactly the same one as in Will's link?

Also, do you know if it can record all four channels simultaneously at the resolution in your linked images?
Old 23 March 2012, 04:04 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Allan
Looks good Sarah, is it exactly the same one as in Will's link?

Also, do you know if it can record all four channels simultaneously at the resolution in your linked images?
Mine is a Swann with a 500gb hard drive. It is a single cable to each camera and it splits into two.
I can record each channel independantly. I have the back garden ones set different. You can chose any option for each camera at the same time i think. I can also set how long it will record a detection for.

When i get up in the morning i can look at all the logs it has recorded for each camera. Foxes are the biggest trigger, and cats.

I had to change the sensitivity of the cameras as they thought rain and moths were intruders.

As some of you know, my car was stolen off my drive last year, i doubt if they would have done it if i had the cameras installed. Under £250 for the set and £50 to install it, hindsight eh?
Old 23 March 2012, 09:33 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Sara - I think you used the coax if you have two wires.

Would recommend cat 5 for any new installs now as you don't need a localised power supply for the camera. Can be a bit of a bugger with cheap baluns but they do the job

As sara's rightly pointed out - you can set the resolutions per camera - they are all treated as seperate channels.

The interfaces vary between the suppliers but the function is all the same. I got one from Hong Kong and a great piece of kit.

If you can afford the extra - check out the PTZ cameras (pan-tilt-zoom) - allows a lot more control and gives you a proper big brother look!
Old 23 March 2012, 11:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I bought a mates secondhand DVR (£70), stuck a new 500gb HDD in £20, added a camera and cable from eBay (£33) and DIY installed in 2 hours.
Old 23 March 2012, 11:24 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Will wrote ".....Can any one on here recommend any good ones? I need one with 4 cameras with night vision etc etc and a DVR to record.

"A friend at work sent me this link today and said it was brilliant http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUTIS-250G...item2c600c30b6

Any pointers would be appreciated......"

i dont know anything about cctv --- But, i was reading a thread on another forum re cctv and copied this post for u........

"....Like you said in the first line, it's whatever you can afford to spend on a system. I have 2 that I look after, one at work with currently 4 cams on it, and one in my local social club with 16 connected.

Most of the affordable equipment these days comes from the far East of course, but most is quite good realy. You do need to get camaras with the highest resolution possible if you want decent pictures, especially at night and using just the inbuilt IR leds, 570tvl plus at least, and the last time I bought a 600TVL vandal proof outdoor dome, it was £58 I think.

As for the DVR, most of them nowadays have to ability to be watched and controlled by mobile phones and are usually available in 8 or 16 camera flavour, and have alarm out, notification by email etc as well. The recording time is dependent on the hard drive size, the amount of cameras recording, and whether you have them recording on motion detect only or constant, or even only at certain times of the day !

Have a google for

Web Client for EDVS/EDVR

but only in IE, it wont work with Firefox etc, then try connecting to the results, hours of entertainment there alone.
These are the common DVR's you see on ebay and elsewhere. If you have an old hard drive kicking about somewhere its cheaper to buy one and fit your own if they give you the option. I'll dig out who I bought my systems from and let you know, he also does video shotgun cable for about £30 / 100m.

Oh, the user for the above is Admin and password is either 1 to 6 or 1 to 8, I cant remember which......."

Last edited by albob; 23 March 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 24 March 2012, 11:00 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
Will wrote ".....Can any one on here recommend any good ones? I need one with 4 cameras with night vision etc etc and a DVR to record.

"A friend at work sent me this link today and said it was brilliant http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUTIS-250G...item2c600c30b6

Any pointers would be appreciated......"

i dont know anything about cctv --- But, i was reading a thread on another forum re cctv and copied this post for u........

"....Like you said in the first line, it's whatever you can afford to spend on a system. I have 2 that I look after, one at work with currently 4 cams on it, and one in my local social club with 16 connected.

Most of the affordable equipment these days comes from the far East of course, but most is quite good realy. You do need to get camaras with the highest resolution possible if you want decent pictures, especially at night and using just the inbuilt IR leds, 570tvl plus at least, and the last time I bought a 600TVL vandal proof outdoor dome, it was £58 I think.

As for the DVR, most of them nowadays have to ability to be watched and controlled by mobile phones and are usually available in 8 or 16 camera flavour, and have alarm out, notification by email etc as well. The recording time is dependent on the hard drive size, the amount of cameras recording, and whether you have them recording on motion detect only or constant, or even only at certain times of the day !

Have a google for

Web Client for EDVS/EDVR

but only in IE, it wont work with Firefox etc, then try connecting to the results, hours of entertainment there alone.
These are the common DVR's you see on ebay and elsewhere. If you have an old hard drive kicking about somewhere its cheaper to buy one and fit your own if they give you the option. I'll dig out who I bought my systems from and let you know, he also does video shotgun cable for about £30 / 100m.

Oh, the user for the above is Admin and password is either 1 to 6 or 1 to 8, I cant remember which......."

This is my one

You can view on the tv and the screen splits into 4, one for each camera or just watch one camera and use the whole tv. The picture is just as good on my laptop and mobile. The app i used was the Swann android app that was free. There is an iphone and Blackberry app too.

If i take my laptop out with me i have to input a new ip if i want to view my cameras but I paid £30 and i can view my cameras by logging into my own url (DYNDNS). I dont have to worry about my ip address changing anymore.

Plus, another good feature, i can take a pic on my phone, a live snapshot, and it will be saved onto the SD card. I am trying to catch a phantom dog pooper that likes my front garden.

The app for mine is also for a wireless set up.

This is the one i have, but it is cheaper in a few places http://www.maplin.co.uk/complete-8ch...vl-came-589999

Last edited by sarasquares; 24 March 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 24 March 2012, 07:49 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I think you have to be careful with some of the cheaper cameras. Their resolution especially in low light can be poor. This means that if you ever need to show the pics to the police faces can't be recognised and also means not good enough to secure a conviction.
Old 24 March 2012, 11:49 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Please take some time-out to read the cctv42 website - there's a wealth of info on there.

I know some above have had good use out of Maplins but they are nowhere near as good picture quality as the D1 stuff in more recent times
Old 25 March 2012, 02:53 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sarasquares

I am trying to catch a phantom dog pooper that likes my front garden.
Be careful -- might be the phantom "Black Beast"

Oh -- and welcome back................
Old 25 March 2012, 09:29 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
Be careful -- might be the phantom "Black Beast"

Oh -- and welcome back................
I wondered what woke me up so early this morning.

I am the numpty that put my clocks forward twice, i have been up for hours already.

I am not back, i just came in to look for something and got side tracked, you know how it is.

Last edited by sarasquares; 25 March 2012 at 09:31 AM.