HTC DESIRE HD - Orange - Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2012, 08:25 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HTC DESIRE HD - Orange - Unlock

Hi all,

Just noticed you fine chaps gave advice on how to unlock an Iphone4. I have a HTC DEsire HD on orange and I want to unlock it and use a GiffGaff sim.

Ive searched the net, but Im not sure what to do as Ive read a number of different processes / methods. Also, once rooted, Im not sure which version of OS to put on it which is stable.

Before I do all this I need to know what needs backing up, and what will be lost. If I root the phone, and still use orange will I need to note down the answerphone number / mail settings ??

So, this question goes out to all you clever phone loving chaps.

Also, how does one change / unlock the firmware on an Nokia E71, again on orange.

SBK
Old 17 January 2012, 08:58 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very helpful chap on here who has the username "Modifications" did mine, was £20 I think, there are two databases or something and if its in the second one its £20 which this model usually is, otherwise its a bit cheaper but I may be getting my facts wrong, drop him a PM.
Old 17 January 2012, 09:16 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

As above I've no real knowledge on unlocking the desire hd, I had one from launch on Vodafone and it was a very good handset, luckily Vodafone were under so much pressure to release them to customers they never did the whole locking thing at that time.

Modifications is your man to talk to though, he has done it for a few people on here so seems reliable
Old 17 January 2012, 10:36 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

If you don't want to go the root way, see here:
http://giffgaff.com/unlock/HTC-Desire-HD-phone

Rooting is simple using revolutionary (http://revolutionary.io/) though. Make sure all your contacts are google ones. Use Titanium to back up apps. There will be noob and step-by-step guides on xda forums.
Old 17 January 2012, 12:08 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Whats the difference between unlocking and rooting?

If I paid one of those companies on Giff Gaff £20 to unlock my Orange DHD what do I get - unlock codes? Do these codes do nothing more than let me use different sim cards?

If I root my DHD its completely blank AND unlocked? Is it really worth rooting the DHD? How likely is it that if I c*ck up the root process I'll brick my phone?
Old 19 January 2012, 12:47 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

I just used www.foneszone.co.uk who had some good reviews on the web to unlock my Samsung Galaxy W(onder), and they emailed over the unlock code in about 10 hours. Worked first time. It cost me 12.99
Old 19 January 2012, 01:49 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

swiftunlocks.net for me. although, at 3 days, their name is unjustified. Cost a tenner.
Old 19 January 2012, 06:50 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Whats the difference between unlocking and rooting?

If I paid one of those companies on Giff Gaff £20 to unlock my Orange DHD what do I get - unlock codes? Do these codes do nothing more than let me use different sim cards?

If I root my DHD its completely blank AND unlocked? Is it really worth rooting the DHD? How likely is it that if I c*ck up the root process I'll brick my phone?
Unlocking allows your phone to use any network. Rooting is unleashing locked features allowing greater flexibility in function and performance. Afaik HTC have released bootloader unlock software. This will allow you to install other roms for DHD. Pop over to xda and check the forums for your phone.