Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Start Genie

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2012, 01:05 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start Genie

Just seen this on tv (yes I`m bored and not tired). I wonder how well it works. Good idea if it "does what it says on the tin"

Don`t even need to pop the bonnet.

http://www.bestdirect.tv/product-STA...STARTGENIE.htm
Old 16 January 2012, 06:19 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

NO need for confusing Jump Leads! With START GENIE
Hahaha, who do they think we are?
Old 16 January 2012, 06:27 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I saw something like this on QVC (yes I know) a little while ago and was pretty impressive. Was thinking about giving one a go when they have it again as my battery is playing up at the moment.
Old 16 January 2012, 10:00 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

I have a proper booster pack, which was fine to jump the Scooby but didn't have enough power to jump my Mother's Disco when it was totally flat. I'd have serious reservations that anything that size (using that gauge of cable) would be suitable to start a car. Looks more like something you would use to keep your radio stations saved when changing a battery.
Old 16 January 2012, 11:19 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Hahaha, who do they think we are?
Yeah, made me laugh too

Originally Posted by 2000 sport
I have a proper booster pack, which was fine to jump the Scooby but didn't have enough power to jump my Mother's Disco when it was totally flat. I'd have serious reservations that anything that size (using that gauge of cable) would be suitable to start a car. Looks more like something you would use to keep your radio stations saved when changing a battery.
Well that`s what I thought but just cos it`s small, doesn`t mean it doesn`t work.....like everything in life
Old 16 January 2012, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be a useful thing to have in the glove pocket.

Les
Old 16 January 2012, 12:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's the science:

These are basically a battery and a DC to DC converter*. Which just charges the main battery.

BUT!! It can't charge by very much or very fast as its limited by a)The current rating of the cigar lighter/fuse and b) its own capacity (what are the specs?) Judging by its size, I'd say 5 amp hour, maximum (the average high capacity Li-ion drill battery is a maximum of 3 amp hours).

And considering the average car battery is 50amp hours (or up to 100amp hours for a big diesel, like a Disco). You can quickly see its like peeing into a empty lake.

It'll start a marginally flat battery, but not instantly....as it can't give all its current in one go without blowing the cigar light fuse (20-25amps), so 5 amp hour battery @ a conservative 10amp current gives you 30mins of charging time, and 5 extra amps to crank teh engine with.....that won't even light the glow plugs on a Discovery TD5

To give perspective:

Glow plugs draw about 12 amps EACH (one per cylinder)
Interior fan heater motor: 10-50amps (depending on size and setting - so switch it off!)
Headlamps 9 amps (6 amps for HID)
Starter motor 60-150amps, depeding on how big the engine and how cold it is....but they have a peak surge up to 300amps on some cars

So 5amps isn't alot compared to the above current draws! So really only any use on a boarderline/marginal battery

And if the cigar lighter only works with the ignition, the the current draw from the body control systems will easily defeat the point of it.

Other worry is the label say "max output 30volts" Unless the regulator is in the actual plug/lead.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 January 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 16 January 2012, 01:28 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Here's the science:

These are basically a battery and a DC to DC converter*. Which just charges the main battery.

BUT!! It can't charge by very much or very fast as its limited by a)The current rating of the cigar lighter/fuse and b) its own capacity (what are the specs?) Judging by its size, I'd say 5 amp hour, maximum (the average high capacity Li-ion drill battery is a maximum of 3 amp hours).

And considering the average car battery is 50amp hours (or up to 100amp hours for a big diesel, like a Disco). You can quickly see its like peeing into a empty lake.

It'll start a marginally flat battery, but not instantly....as it can't give all its current in one go without blowing the cigar light fuse (20-25amps), so 5 amp hour battery @ a conservative 10amp current gives you 30mins of charging time, and 5 extra amps to crank teh engine with.....that won't even light the glow plugs on a Discovery TD5

To give perspective:

Glow plugs draw about 12 amps EACH (one per cylinder)
Interior fan heater motor: 10-50amps (depending on size and setting - so switch it off!)
Headlamps 9 amps (6 amps for HID)
Starter motor 60-150amps, depeding on how big the engine and how cold it is....but they have a peak surge up to 300amps on some cars

So 5amps isn't alot compared to the above current draws! So really only any use on a boarderline/marginal battery

And if the cigar lighter only works with the ignition, the the current draw from the body control systems will easily defeat the point of it.

Other worry is the label say "max output 30volts" Unless the regulator is in the actual plug/lead.
Right ok then. Can`t say fairer