Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DLP Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2012, 09:16 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLP Projectors

Anyone use one for Home Cinema? What are they like and have you witnessed this rainbow effect they apparently can cause on whites?
Old 12 January 2012, 09:20 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

love them! ive got an optoma hd65 and they released the firmware to make it 3d as well! i dont see rainbows but best audition 1 if u can and see if u do. if not then get one its awsome watching movies and playing games on a "120 screen. i got the 3dxl converter and glasses for crimbo and trust me 3d on a big screen in the home kicks *** too.
Old 12 January 2012, 10:42 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad has one for his cinema room, no problems at all and it looks frickin awesome , I want one but the wife says no
Old 12 January 2012, 12:44 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Optoma HD800 here no rainbow and its fecking great (bare in mind though that whether you get rainbow effect can be down to the individual)
Old 12 January 2012, 02:01 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the optoma hd67n I had to sell it as the RBE was always there, really spoilt the whole experience for me.
Old 12 January 2012, 02:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just buy an Optoma 1080p projector as they are cheap and the quality is superb.
Old 12 January 2012, 03:08 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

How are you guys hiding the screens not in use?

And using it in their living room?
Old 12 January 2012, 03:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Its an Optoma HD200x I'n considering and all the reviews I've seen have been very positive but I'm concerned that it won't live up to my expectations coming from a Pioneer Plasma.
Old 12 January 2012, 04:26 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at getting a PJ and the HD200 is the one I've decided on
Old 12 January 2012, 07:44 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Do you guys with projectors have them permanently installed, or do you bring them out for watching movies and then pack them up again?

I've occasionally thought about getting one, but really can't face the hassle of having one attached to the ceiling and permanently wired. But if I don't, then there's the hassle of getting it out, setting it up and having cables trailing across the floor every time I want to watch a movie. I doubt I'd ever bother.
Old 12 January 2012, 08:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Its an Optoma HD200x I'n considering and all the reviews I've seen have been very positive but I'm concerned that it won't live up to my expectations coming from a Pioneer Plasma.

I'm guessing the cheapies are ones designed for PC/computer use or won't have proper frame interpolation, which without doubt your Pioneer plasma does.

Obviously those people not used to good frame interpolation on TVs won't know any different. So its a case of how fussy you are.

I'm yet to see a DLP with frame interpolation, so the jury is out for me.
Old 12 January 2012, 08:38 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm guessing the cheapies are ones designed for PC/computer use or won't have proper frame interpolation, which without doubt your Pioneer plasma does.

Obviously those people not used to good frame interpolation on TVs won't know any different. So its a case of how fussy you are.

I'm yet to see a DLP with frame interpolation, so the jury is out for me.
I honestly don't know what to actually look for when it comes to projector, the specs don't really seem to tell me much that I understand.

I was actually watching Avatar 3D on a Epson TW6000 LCD projector last night and have to say its the best thing I've ever seen! Sadly a decent LCD projector is way way out of my price range. I've drawn the line at £600 for the projector as by the time I add a good screen, it'll start getting very pricey.
Old 12 January 2012, 10:01 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Anyone use one for Home Cinema? What are they like and have you witnessed this rainbow effect they apparently can cause on whites?

I though only some people could actually perceive this effect and it also gave some people headaches.

I didn't go for DLP just in case one of my kids was susceptible. Bought a Sony PJ instead (LCOS system) and it is fantastic
Old 12 January 2012, 10:07 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

for some reason the one you want jamz pc world is cheaper than amazon

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/optoma...ipxtl&istBid=t
Old 12 January 2012, 10:15 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I have a 1080 projector, optoma HD20, image is ok, to compare though, a good plasma or LCD will almost always be better. I use mine alot as I use it instead of a TV, the cables run through the ceiling and pop out near the projector which is permanently mounted up there. The screen pulls down from a small hole in the ceiling. My advice is don't bother with a screen as it is much easier and cheaper to use projector paint straight on the wall to what ever size you want.
Blu rays do look great, frozen planet was amazing to watch but projectors are fragile and break alot. My optoma is starting to play up now after 1700 hours or use and I now have to order a new bulb, change it and then see if that fixes the probelm. The bulbs can go for 2000 hours or 200 and they can be very sensitive to power fluctuations on the grid so make sure you have a decent surge protector between the wall and projector. If you want to use the TV and projector you will need an HDMI switch or a reciever with 2 HDMI outputs. In all honesty with 60 inch TV's now at richersounds for 2k I would not bother unless you are really into home cinema.
Old 12 January 2012, 10:42 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
for some reason the one you want jamz pc world is cheaper than amazon

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/optoma...ipxtl&istBid=t
I tried to reserve one but none of the stores in northern ireland have them. Scan.co.uk will ship it for £640.
Old 13 January 2012, 11:54 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

FOr those of you are serious I'd recommend AVForums.com - they have a good classifieds section on there.

Be warned tho' - once you start looking at some of the member galleris it's a slippery slope!! I've gone from 0 trader feedback to 33!!

If you don't want a perm screen do what I have - Ikea Tupplur (think it's this one) blind which can be rolled up when not needed. It seems a lot of people on the AVForums have done this with great results. I've paired this with an Optoma HD70 projector and an Onkyo AV receiver - can direct any output (Xbox, Sky, BD, PC) to either the TV or projector

HTH

Jai
Old 13 January 2012, 12:35 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I have an Optoma HD 20, it's my first projector and I'm very pleased with it. I do see the rainbow effect from time to time but not enough to spoil the experience. Mine isn't permanently set up.

Geoff.
Old 13 January 2012, 03:09 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
I have a 1080 projector, optoma HD20, image is ok, to compare though, a good plasma or LCD will almost always be better. I use mine alot as I use it instead of a TV, the cables run through the ceiling and pop out near the projector which is permanently mounted up there. The screen pulls down from a small hole in the ceiling. My advice is don't bother with a screen as it is much easier and cheaper to use projector paint straight on the wall to what ever size you want.
Blu rays do look great, frozen planet was amazing to watch but projectors are fragile and break alot. My optoma is starting to play up now after 1700 hours or use and I now have to order a new bulb, change it and then see if that fixes the probelm. The bulbs can go for 2000 hours or 200 and they can be very sensitive to power fluctuations on the grid so make sure you have a decent surge protector between the wall and projector. If you want to use the TV and projector you will need an HDMI switch or a reciever with 2 HDMI outputs. In all honesty with 60 inch TV's now at richersounds for 2k I would not bother unless you are really into home cinema.
I would disagree with what is said above.
I find the whole ritual of setting up is full of expectation and the watching of a projected image is so much more immersive than tv .
Old 13 January 2012, 04:52 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i wanted to get a projector on a budget, joined the avforums etc, mine was a shoestring budget, i bought an ikea tupla screen and won a davis cinema one dlp projector off ebay, practically new, for £50 iirc, it only has 700 lumens but my room is pretty dark, i have mine hidden away in an ikea drawer that i hybridised

this is the image on the tupla screen

i have since bought a pulldown screen that sits above our bay window, my projector only takes s video from my progressive scan dvd player, so can only imagine how good the new ones are really,
Old 13 January 2012, 05:28 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

What ever you do make sure you use 1.4 cable and get a 3d ready reciever, I installed non 3d cable and a non 3d reciever and now to upgrade to 3d I will have to buy a new reciever and then make alot of holes to run the new cable.
Old 13 January 2012, 06:59 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

What ever you do make sure you use 1.4 cable and get a 3d ready reciever, I installed non 3d cable and a non 3d reciever and now to upgrade to 3d I will have to buy a new reciever and then make alot of holes to run the new cable.
You don't need a 1.4 hdmi for 3d matey and also look at the Panasonic Dmp BDT310 bluray player, it has 2 HDMI outputs so you can send the audio to the amp and picture directly to the projector. Worth considering anyway!
Old 13 January 2012, 07:04 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

I've got one and, although I'm not particularly susceptible to the rainbow effect, I do notice them and it gets worse once you know they are there. It also makes my eyes a bit sore after a couple of hours viewing; not sure if that's down to DLP, but it certainly doesn't happen with the tv.

You can't beat the big screen experience though, but if I get another, it will probably be LCD.

Last edited by Daryl; 13 January 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 13 January 2012, 10:15 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

You don't need a 1.4 hdmi for 3d matey and also look at the Panasonic Dmp BDT310 bluray player, it has 2 HDMI outputs so you can send the audio to the amp and picture directly to the projector. Worth considering anyway!
Now I am confused, the local shop told me my cable would not support 3d ? Clearly they were trying to sell me a new cable but if they were out and out bull****ting then I will go back and have a word. I already have my 3d blue ray player as I have one space on the rack and the player had to be the digital reciever as well so I have an LG thing with the slowest remote control response on the history of AV.
Old 13 January 2012, 10:25 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Now I am confused, the local shop told me my cable would not support 3d ? Clearly they were trying to sell me a new cable but if they were out and out bull****ting then I will go back and have a word. I already have my 3d blue ray player as I have one space on the rack and the player had to be the digital reciever as well so I have an LG thing with the slowest remote control response on the history of AV.
They technically aren't "lying" as 1.4 rated cables are sold as 3D HDMI cables but 1.3 cables will work in every instance I have encountered. Best bet is to try your 3D blu-ray player connected directly to the projector using the HDMI cables you already have, if it works, well it WORKS!
Old 14 January 2012, 06:04 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

As Jam said it works.

I'll be doing the same thing ie changing my old bdp to a 3d one that has two hdmi outputs (probably the Panny that Jam mentioned).

No need to do anything else
Old 14 January 2012, 09:46 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
I've got one and, although I'm not particularly susceptible to the rainbow effect, I do notice them and it gets worse once you know they are there. It also makes my eyes a bit sore after a couple of hours viewing; not sure if that's down to DLP, but it certainly doesn't happen with the tv.

You can't beat the big screen experience though, but if I get another, it will probably be LCD.

That's nice Daryl, what size screen is that ?

I originally intended to buy an LCD projector but was put off by stories of dust blobs. Apparently the lenses aren't sealed into the LCD projectors, dust finds it's way in and then shows on screen when watching films etc.

Geoff.