Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

are people really... hard up for work?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2011, 07:44 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are people really... hard up for work?

i need some electrical work doing at my warehouse/office

cost of the items that need installing at the very most £1400, the job will take 2 people 5 days to finish (possibly quicker if they are any good, 4 days should be possible)

the price a local company has just quoted me... £7495+vat!!!

thats about £3500 profit if they are paying £150 a day for there staff, seems a lot to me in tough times, needless to say I have just employed some one to do it over the christmas break at less than half the price.
Old 21 December 2011, 08:01 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I see where you're coming from but it's not just pay, they have liability insurance, van insurance, diesel. And also a profit .

It would be a perfect world if we got everything at cost.
Old 21 December 2011, 08:45 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

should have phoned me up id have done it for you never mind...
Old 21 December 2011, 09:16 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

2 qualified sparks would be on more than £150 a day.....
Still ****ing expensive.
Old 21 December 2011, 09:38 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

So you still paid over 3.5k even though you thought it was a £1400 job?does that not mean your calculations were out a little in the first place.

Qualified sparkies would be around £30 (depending on area) if coming from a decent company and over Xmas would envoke a premium too.
Old 21 December 2011, 09:50 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Some people take the ****......

I have recently had my garage converted to be used as another room in the house. Previous owners had had it done but on the cheap/bodged so wasn't properly insulated etc and they had the garage divided so two thirds of the garage was used as the spare room leaving the original garage roller door in place so the remaining third was still used as storage/looked like garage from front of house.

Any how, we wanted dividing wall pulled out, brick up the front (in place of door), install window then properly insulate etc etc.

Not including the quote we ended up going with - The cheapest quote we had was over 9k and the most expensive 16k!!!! Plus the fact I only wanted it to the stage of ready to plaster as I already know someone who I have used before and I can do remaining decorating stuff myself.

I'm sure most of these people priced it high because they didn't want the job. Why not just fecking say so

I ended up having it done for just over £5k. Couple of builders done it who was recommended through a family friend and they were good blokes and job well done!
Old 21 December 2011, 09:57 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
So you still paid over 3.5k even though you thought it was a £1400 job?does that not mean your calculations were out a little in the first place.

Qualified sparkies would be around £30 (depending on area) if coming from a decent company and over Xmas would envoke a premium too.
i have not paid yet, the cost of the materials is £1400 not the job, it will take two people 5 days = 10 days of work for one person.

I have never paid more than £150/day for a spark (never heard of £30 maybe you are in another country!) and for that I want someone working flat out.

I am actually paying £140 day rate for the fully qualified spark working over christmas (not sure why I would pay more over chrimbo? if you want work you need to do it!)

If you are good and charge a fair price you will be busy, I know of other people nearing bankruptcy because they charge too much and are too slow!!

over £3k profit seems a lot to me!
Old 21 December 2011, 10:08 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

ive been a qualified spark for 25 years and the jib rate is £14.35 im self emplyed and the average rate is £15-16 p/hr so a ten hour day flat rate is 150/160 per day thats what i charge ,obviously depending on job and weekend working seperate rates apply and negociated at the beginning of the job.
Old 21 December 2011, 10:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
i have not paid yet, the cost of the materials is £1400 not the job, it will take two people 5 days = 10 days of work for one person.

I have never paid more than £150/day for a spark (never heard of £30 maybe you are in another country!) and for that I want someone working flat out.

I am actually paying £140 day rate for the fully qualified spark working over christmas (not sure why I would pay more over chrimbo? if you want work you need to do it!)

If you are good and charge a fair price you will be busy, I know of other people nearing bankruptcy because they charge too much and are too slow!!

over £3k profit seems a lot to me!
Now it is clearer, I read it as £1400 for the job and working over Xmas i.e at days when it should be holiday (so to speak).