Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jobcentre query.....

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2011, 02:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Jobcentre query.....

A lad I know has been out of work for about 6 weeks. He's applied for EVERYTHING the jobcentre gave him and about 50 things they didn't.

Last time he was there he managed to lose one of their job ideas, and then admitted he hadn't applied for that one, since he lost it.

They have IMMEDIATELY "fined" him 4 weeks benefit he will now have no income until after Christmas.

Two questions:

Is this the norm?
And if it is, is there anything he can do, apart from be more careful, or lie to them the next time.
Old 26 November 2011, 02:44 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It shouldn't matter if he has not applied for the positions given to him at each sign on day, they are merely suggestions to help him find work. The only thing he needs to do is make six actions towards finding work every two weeks, be it applying for a job, searching on job sites, signing up with agencies etc.

He can appeal. If he had his diary filled out as it should be, he should not have been sanctioned! He can also appeal for hardship while the sanction is in place so he's not completely without money.
Old 26 November 2011, 02:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

This is terrible! Job centre should be helping him to identify why he is not getting the job. Whether it has to do with his CV, lack of experience, unmatched skills for the suggested jobs, or anything else. It is terrible to see anyone suffering around Christmas. Specially the ones that have just lost their jobs due to no fault of their own.

I am not sure what exactly has gone on there to be fined, Alcazar. There could be more to what meets the eye??

I have never heard of this being a norm, and what I suggest him to do is to keep applying for more jobs. If he thinks that Job Centre has punished him for simply not applying for one job, he should complain to their bosses/appeal as MicaDan says. No one has a right to kick the one who is already in the dumps.
Old 26 November 2011, 03:23 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Job centre staff = ****'s...

Anyone would think any benefit is coming directly from their own pockets.

I have never met such a bunch of horrible individuals!
Old 26 November 2011, 03:26 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Job centre staff = ****'s...

Anyone would think any benefit is coming directly from their own pockets.

I have never met such a bunch of horrible individuals!
Patronising as well. I've had one family member and a friend who are much more qualified than the people in the Jobcentre who thought it was fine to talk down to them. They were treated like idiots and made to feel like 2nd class citizens for having the gall to claim Jobseekers.

I'm sure there are some great people in the job. However, their experiences really soured things for them.
Old 26 November 2011, 03:39 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Google throw this up, crisis loan, includes living expenses, so I can't see a reason not to apply for it.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/s...oans/#whocancl
Old 26 November 2011, 04:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks guys, passed that on.

This is a nice lad, but not one to push his case, so if they say so, he'll just walk away.

Hopefully we'll sort him. I may get him to make a complaint about whoever dealt with him too. They shouldn't leave our young people who WANT to work in that sort of position.

Job centre sucks.

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2011, 05:04 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Google throw this up, crisis loan, includes living expenses, so I can't see a reason not to apply for it.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/s...oans/#whocancl
He can't apply for anything like this while under sanction. It's an awful system that has been proven time and again it doesn't work. I work with the unemployed and the stories you hear make you sick. yes there are plenty who take the pee, but there's also plenty of genuine people who just get run through the system with no help at all, and as in this case, get chastised for doing nothing wrong.

He has a good case for appeal, get him to do it asap. The worst part is he still has to fill out his diary, and go and sign every two weeks but will get nothing for it!!
Old 26 November 2011, 05:07 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

he can appeal the decision and all he needs to do is prove he was searching for work just not the 1 they mention, if he has done nothing at all he will lose but if he can prove he was actively searching they will pay up.