Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another nail in the Apple coffin...

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2011, 01:08 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Another nail in the Apple coffin...

You'd have thought they'd have learnt after the reception issues with the iPhone4 that you need to properly test stuff before releasing it.

This time it's their buggy iOS5 release that's causing problems such that some users iPhone battery's are only lasting a few hours from a full charge.

Oh dear!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...?newsfeed=true
Old 03 November 2011, 01:15 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Well the battery life on my iPhone 4 with nearly all the push / notifications / location services enabled has actually been increased under iOS5, so I am happy with the battery life but it all depends though how many tasks are running, services enabled etc.
Old 03 November 2011, 01:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Men and their phone one-upmanship, here we go again. Reminds me of the elephant seals on Frozen Planet last night.
Old 03 November 2011, 01:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm not one to get into apple debates on here due to the very nature the allegencies people here have for/against the things.

But I've recently been dragged into this by the nails kicking and screaming when one of my gaffers bought a macbook pro for work use. His prior HP laptop was damaged and replaced on insurance - who gave the option for a i7 based macbook pro. Spec-wise its was a no brainer - an i7 is an i7 regardless of OS and if it doesn't work out, its should be easy enough to sell on or install Win 7 on dual-boot.

Well, seemed ok at first. Then it threw a wobble with printing our invoices. Not the print driver, that works great, but the actual web-browser based software not liking the mac. Of which the software developers don't support Apple, as the software is primarily designed to run on MS Internet explorer (now they tell me - which shouldn't really pose an issue as its works fine on FF on win 7 and chrome etc. on a PC ). Opera, firefox, Chrome doesn't matter, on the mac, its fudged.

Now, the internet has magically stopped working with it at work. Wifi or wired Ethernet, whatever, no game, not even the guest/customer wifi hotspot. Everything else works, the Mac works at home, but not here. This coupled by someone who hasn't any Mac tech experience (me) whom is expected to fix it. Which is exactly what I'm trying to do right now.

I thought these things were supposed to be easy and 'just work'? My stupid fault for giving it the thumbs up I suppose I'm ten minutes away from saying f**k it and installing win7 on the thing.

And if anyone dares say get an air-port they can go and royally do one. As that can't load balance between two ISPs

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 November 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03 November 2011, 01:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15559778
Old 03 November 2011, 01:37 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Apple have released an iOS5 update to developers with a fix for the battery drain bug, it also fixes the Smart cover unlock bug and a few other things, should be available to general public shortly.

Edit: It even says that in the OP article, so no need for me to have posted this really.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 03 November 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03 November 2011, 02:15 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iPhone4 running ios5

Push on, all notifications on, 3G on, wifi off (no point where I am) location sevices off, ping off (this is a known battery drainer)

100% at 8.00am this morning. made a few calls, sent a few texts, had 8 apps running in the background, bit of surfing, etc, etc Its now 1.15pm and showing 94%.
Old 03 November 2011, 02:20 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

This forum makes me laugh sometimes.
Old 03 November 2011, 02:25 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
You'd have thought they'd have learnt after the reception issues with the iPhone4 that you need to properly test stuff before releasing it.

This time it's their buggy iOS5 release that's causing problems such that some users iPhone battery's are only lasting a few hours from a full charge.

Oh dear!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...?newsfeed=true
I'm lucky if I get 2 hours on my HTC desire HD if I have the audacity to actually use the fecking thing.

A few hours - sounds like it's time to switch to apple
Old 03 November 2011, 02:36 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

my iphone 4S was 100% at 6am this morning. i've checked mail, used lots of internet, watched an episode of House MD and it's now 65%

i think battery life is worse with iOS5 and apple agrees.

there'll be a fix along soon.

no software is bug free.
Old 03 November 2011, 02:51 PM
richiewong
Twatful

I've got two yogurt pots and a piece of string, my shouty level is still 100%
Old 03 November 2011, 02:52 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

The battery life on my 3GS has increased a lot since the IOS5 release, i was fortunate that the update on mine went smoothly where as other people had problems.
Old 03 November 2011, 03:31 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Why are Apple haters so obsessed with any slight negative issue?

Coffin Dodger, you dont have to buy Apple products. You'll be much happier if you let it go
Old 03 November 2011, 03:37 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Scoobynet.. Anti Apple since 1999
Old 03 November 2011, 03:54 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Coffin Dodger, you dont have to buy Apple products. You'll be much happier if you let it go
He obviously likes to jump on any popular bandwagon, don't worry next week there will be another 'evil corporation' to despise.
Old 03 November 2011, 03:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Try clicking the network connection with one of the modifier keys held in. More options, should be an easy fix.
Old 03 November 2011, 04:40 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I own Apple products, just relaying what I read in the news to SNet for discussion. If the products they make are of a high quality, reliable and represent good value then I may buy them. The latest offerings though seem to show slipping standards but hey it's only what's reported in the popular press so obviously untrue
Old 03 November 2011, 05:05 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I own Apple products, just relaying what I read in the news to SNet for discussion. If the products they make are of a high quality, reliable and represent good value then I may buy them. The latest offerings though seem to show slipping standards but hey it's only what's reported in the popular press so obviously untrue
Since when has any journalist let the truth get in the way of a story?

I look forward to reading the next gem...
Old 03 November 2011, 05:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of the time it's a question of how you use said products. If you make sure not many apps are running in the background then it stands to reason the battery life will be better, but some people don't think they should have to do that.

It's like the famous antenna bug with the iPhone4. I have seen people on here say it doesn't exist yet every single iPhone4 I have ever picked I have been able to reproduce the problem in under 30 seconds... put iPhone in hand as if to write a text message and in less than 30 secs the signal is gone... much to the chagrin of one or two of the owners.

Now that is not to say it's a problem as most people have a cover on theirs or hold it differently, but to say the issue does not exist is plainly daft.

At the end of the day these deivices are pretty sophisticated pieces of kit and are bound to have issues, it's a sense of perspective that's needed ... somewhere in between the 'another nail in Apple's coffin' view and the 'they are perfect and there is nothing wrong with them whatseover and if you say so you are an Apple hater' view
Old 03 November 2011, 08:29 PM
terzoscooby
Scooby Regular

Lol Apples are like marmite. 1984 brought a revolation to me. I have never looked back since that iconic advert.
Old 03 November 2011, 08:35 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Game over man it's game over.
Old 03 November 2011, 09:04 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Game over man it's game over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

Old 03 November 2011, 09:04 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
He obviously likes to jump on any popular bandwagon, don't worry next week there will be another 'evil corporation' to despise.
No, next week there will be another newly discovered "feature" from one of Apple's products. Dare I say it, these problems would never have happened under the watch of the late Mr Jobs, either that or he'll put a spin on it to make it seem like a non-issue.
Old 03 November 2011, 09:11 PM
terzoscooby
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8
Old 04 November 2011, 02:38 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
I've got two yogurt pots and a piece of string, my shouty level is still 100%
Old 04 November 2011, 11:54 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm not one to get into apple debates on here due to the very nature the allegencies people here have for/against the things.

But I've recently been dragged into this by the nails kicking and screaming when one of my gaffers bought a macbook pro for work use. His prior HP laptop was damaged and replaced on insurance - who gave the option for a i7 based macbook pro. Spec-wise its was a no brainer - an i7 is an i7 regardless of OS and if it doesn't work out, its should be easy enough to sell on or install Win 7 on dual-boot.

Well, seemed ok at first. Then it threw a wobble with printing our invoices. Not the print driver, that works great, but the actual web-browser based software not liking the mac. Of which the software developers don't support Apple, as the software is primarily designed to run on MS Internet explorer (now they tell me - which shouldn't really pose an issue as its works fine on FF on win 7 and chrome etc. on a PC ). Opera, firefox, Chrome doesn't matter, on the mac, its fudged.

Now, the internet has magically stopped working with it at work. Wifi or wired Ethernet, whatever, no game, not even the guest/customer wifi hotspot. Everything else works, the Mac works at home, but not here. This coupled by someone who hasn't any Mac tech experience (me) whom is expected to fix it. Which is exactly what I'm trying to do right now.

I thought these things were supposed to be easy and 'just work'? My stupid fault for giving it the thumbs up I suppose I'm ten minutes away from saying f**k it and installing win7 on the thing.

And if anyone dares say get an air-port they can go and royally do one. As that can't load balance between two ISPs
When i first got my MacBook i had this exact same problem. Every other computer (including a Mac Mini, and Windows laptops) would connect to it. I had just moved and got Sky TV and Broadband too so thought they'd sent me a dodgy modem. After several long and painful, not to mention useless phone calls, i have up and just tried stuff on my own. In the end i found that if i changed the security settings in the modem then it would connect.

Changing the type of password allowed me to connect. No Idea why, but if it works, then it works. HTH
Old 04 November 2011, 12:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I fixed it: Its a bug!

I checked all network setting; fine. All on auto as it should be.

Out of desperation I set it to manual IP, subnet, DNS etc. Entered IP addresses I know that will work...it still didn't work. Thinking that wasn't the issue, I re-enabled automatic.......then it worked and has worked ok since!

This was with wired ethernet too (i.e direct connect to the moden/router) - so no passwords. But the Wi-Fi is now also working

In other words it back on automatic IP/ethernet settings as it was originally, but it works, where it didn't before. I'd call that a buggy OS in my book