Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Poundland in Poppy U turn.

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2011, 10:45 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poundland in Poppy U turn.

And I should think so to. They should be ashamed of them selves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15520720
Old 02 November 2011, 10:47 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep - it was disgusting behaviour - almost as bad as BA not allowing you to wear a cross necklace to work... FFS

THIS IS BRITAIN - we are a caring, secular society - DEAL WITH IT!
Old 02 November 2011, 10:51 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Can't believe they stopped her in the first place!
Old 02 November 2011, 11:36 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I agree with Poundland banning it. She is going to work and in work you wear a uniform. If the uniform doesn't consist of a Poppy, you don't wear it simple. Once you let someone wear a Poppy on their uniform where exactly do you draw the line of what is and isn't part of the uniform?

I wear a uniform in work, I do my job and at the end of the day, I stick on my coat which has my Poppy on it. Most of those in Northern Ireland who moan about not being able to wear a Poppy are infact moaning for the wrong reason.
Old 02 November 2011, 11:39 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

James , I can see your ppoint but in no way would the wearing of a poppy affect the way the job is carried out so I really don't see a problem with it. It's worn as a mark of respect after all.
Old 02 November 2011, 11:49 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
James , I can see your ppoint but in no way would the wearing of a poppy affect the way the job is carried out so I really don't see a problem with it. It's worn as a mark of respect after all.
Understandable but neither would coming to work with your face painted like a member of KISS. A uniform in my eyes is just that.

I'm going to take quite a guess here and say that this has very little to do with the poppy being a mark of respect and all too much to do with this person just wanting to get on her high horse. I have dealt with this matter a few times being an ex-manager in an NI shop and it is always the scumbags who have no inclination why they are actually wearing a poppy other than in their eyes its a "Loyalist/Protestant" thing that they can twist around and say such things as:
"It is not a political thing, it is for every race, colour, creed and religion that I am wearing it."
I expect to hear about the compensation she will be receiving soon.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 02 November 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02 November 2011, 11:57 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I'm sure having your face painted like Kiss would affect you working in Poundland.
Old 02 November 2011, 12:31 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CREWJ
I'm sure having your face painted like Kiss would affect you working in Poundland.
Might improve some of the troggs that work there
Old 02 November 2011, 12:34 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Might improve some of the troggs that work there
Old 02 November 2011, 02:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How can any firm be that insensitive I wonder. Totally mindless behaviour!

Les
Old 02 November 2011, 02:29 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Oh god it's silly Poppy newstory season again - god help us

No doubt there will be a huge fuss made about Muslim / Immigrants / Gypsy / Benefits Cheats, dishonouring the memory of our troops in the usual publications.

Why don't we just agree to ignore them this year?
Old 02 November 2011, 02:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

That's it, bury your head in the sand
Old 02 November 2011, 02:42 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
How can any firm be that insensitive I wonder. Totally mindless behaviour!

Les
Totally mindless or yet another example of an employee too stupid to read and ahere to the terms they agreed to on taking a job.

How much less of a cost to all involved would it have been if this person had of read or asked the dress code for the company at the time she went for the job, realised that you can't add your own personal touchs to her uniform and declined taking the job?

Support whatever you like but in your own time imo.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:09 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

No-one wants to be Peter Criss, Lois - not even Peter Criss.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:34 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
No-one wants to be Peter Criss, Lois - not even Peter Criss.
Ah Peter you crack me up
Old 02 November 2011, 04:47 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marketing crap
Poundland said the after listening to customer and staff feedback it had reviewed its UK policy
Originally Posted by reality
Poundland crapped themselves over the rightly so public outrage it was going to cause, we really dropped a clanger here
EFA
Old 03 November 2011, 01:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Totally mindless or yet another example of an employee too stupid to read and ahere to the terms they agreed to on taking a job.

How much less of a cost to all involved would it have been if this person had of read or asked the dress code for the company at the time she went for the job, realised that you can't add your own personal touchs to her uniform and declined taking the job?

Yes totally mindless to not realise the significance of the poppy at this time of year and that it is far more important that we all remember the true meaning of wearing a poppy rather than the footling dress code they instituted.

Fair enough to have a dress code of course but when it comes to all those who sacrificed their lives for the sake of this country and the people, then wearing a poppy, which in no way detracts from the uniform, makes the dress code of little importance in this respect.

It is quite in order to wear a poppy with a military uniform even though civilian additions are normally banned.

Les
Old 03 November 2011, 01:57 PM
Lisawrx

I see where you are coming from, but don't agree completely.

I work in a shop not very different from Poundland, and we too have a set uniform, but we are not prevented from wearing a poppy should we wish to and nor should we be in my opinion. I myslef used to wear a badge supporting breast cancer care, and that was never an issue either. And we also have chosen 'charity of the year' through work that we fundraise for, but they (work) don't in turn prevent people supporting other causes, in fact we are encouraged to.
Old 03 November 2011, 03:23 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I work in a shop not very different from Poundland, and we too have a set uniform, but we are not prevented from wearing a poppy should we wish to and nor should we be in my opinion. I myslef used to wear a badge supporting breast cancer care, and that was never an issue either. And we also have chosen 'charity of the year' through work that we fundraise for, but they (work) don't in turn prevent people supporting other causes, in fact we are encouraged to.
What about if someone wore a tasteful, discreet swastika? Would that be all right? Eh?
Old 03 November 2011, 03:45 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

What about if someone wore a tasteful, discreet swastika? Would that be all right? Eh?
Is that part of a national event?
Old 03 November 2011, 03:56 PM
Lisawrx

I'll have to remember to ask about that.

We don't have a clear policy written about badges/poppies etc. but they may be subject to the same rules as tattoos and piercings/wearing jewellery, which is basically that they are ok (within reason) so long as they don't offend or risk health and safety.

A swastika probably wouldn't go down too well in our store as a large proportion of our customers are Jewish.
Old 03 November 2011, 04:14 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

For a big poster, not so big on the braincells.... try looking up the origins of the Swastika
Old 03 November 2011, 06:00 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Is that part of a national event?
More of a nationalIST event.
Old 03 November 2011, 06:03 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TinyTim
For a big poster, not so big on the braincells.... try looking up the origins of the Swastika
STFU, n00b. I'm well aware of what the swastika originally stood for. I'm going to stand outside the Synagogue and pass leaflets out explaining all about it.
Old 03 November 2011, 07:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

STFU, n00b. I'm well aware of what the swastika originally stood for. I'm going to stand outside the Synagogue and pass leaflets out explaining all about it.
You had the perfect excuse
Old 03 November 2011, 07:41 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

You make it sound like it's just some random cause the woman decided to support off her own bat, when it's nothing of the sort. Remembrance Day ceremonies in this country have full state backing, and with good reason, so it's beyond absurd for an employer to try and do what Poundland did here.

As for your own reaction, words almost fail me. I can only guess it must be some anti-British or anti-military chip you've got on your shoulder, or just a generation thing. Whatever it is, good luck getting over it.
Old 03 November 2011, 09:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
You make it sound like it's just some random cause the woman decided to support off her own bat, when it's nothing of the sort. Remembrance Day ceremonies in this country have full state backing, and with good reason, so it's beyond absurd for an employer to try and do what Poundland did here.

As for your own reaction, words almost fail me. I can only guess it must be some anti-British or anti-military chip you've got on your shoulder, or just a generation thing. Whatever it is, good luck getting over it.
I think yourself and others on this thread are letting your personal feelings get in the way of plain fact which cannot be argued with. If it can be argued with surely you would beable to pick and choose what parts of your terms of employment you wanted to abide as you felt like it.

As for having a anti-british or anti-military chip, I doubt it. Having many generations including my father, grandfather and far before serve in the British Army doing the deeds that the English didn't have the guts for as it was for the good of their country, I'd say I have more real British lineage in my blood than most so called British. It just so happens I can also read the terms and conditions of a job I take and don't get taken in my non-newsworthy stories.

As I hinted at before article has nothing to do with wearing a poppy and all to much to do with getting one over on the other side a la prods and taigs, it is from northern ireland afterall.
Old 03 November 2011, 10:55 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I think yourself and others on this thread are letting your personal feelings get in the way of plain fact which cannot be argued with. If it can be argued with surely you would beable to pick and choose what parts of your terms of employment you wanted to abide as you felt like it.
No, what we're doing is taking the view that most fair and reasonable-minded people wouldn't automatically lump in remembrance poppies with any old other badge that someone might wear, like you have.

Anyhow, it's clear where your priorities are. Click your heels and salute the suits upstairs, Heil!
Old 03 November 2011, 11:13 PM
MattJ85
Scooby Regular

Just out of curiosity who out of the people comment actually goes to pay their respect on remembrance Sunday at a church or memorial ?
Old 03 November 2011, 11:14 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

You've tried to insult me three times now and have made assumptions based on no fact, I can only assume you either know I am actually right or you just don't know how to debate a topic without resorting to childish behaviour.

Godwin's Law has wrapped up your argument.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 03 November 2011 at 11:18 PM.