Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New York flights ??

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2011, 12:32 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New York flights ??

Never been before, so wife and I have decided to go for a few days in December, around the 8th,

Anyone got any good tips on who we are best flying with? BA, Virgin or maybe an American carrier AA or United?? will be traveling from Heathrow, and on a budget really so not expensive class !!

Also what airport do we need to aim at? JFK etc??

we will just be doing the usual tourist stuff, Empire state etc.. and maybe taking in a Broadway show.

Also any experience of hotels would be useful, would like one fairly central so it's easy to get about to see stuff, the prices seem to vary dramatically from reasonable to 2nd mortgage !!

Thanks

Ian..
Old 05 July 2011, 01:12 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Fly with the cheapest, but you'd probably be best getting a package. I found Expedia pretty good. Try and get a hotel with breakfast, or the option to include it.

Don't worry about getting around, use the Subway it's cheap and safe.

JFK, Newark, La Gaurdia are all close by.

Don't do the Empire state, so up the Rockerfeller instead........just before it gets dark. You get the views of the city AND the Empire state. There is also more room to move about!

Walk Brookyln bridge, but from Brooklyn.....hopefully the building they are doing would have finished by the time you go.

....and finally, try using the search function on here, this is a common thread title.
Old 05 July 2011, 01:20 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Davyboy,
cheers for the reply, will check out Expedia again.

I did read a number of the NYC threads, found the ones on where to visit very useful, will check em' again.

Thanks again

Ian..
Old 05 July 2011, 01:35 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I have an email from Expedia saying about 40% off new york hotels today
Old 05 July 2011, 03:28 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Try to go for at least a week, so much to see and do

Can't comment on the hotels (kipped on a mates sofa) but have flown to the US with Virgin, once on business in First Class (very nice, was supposed to be in Premium Economy but got an upgrade ) and other times in economy. Think they are all much the same really and whilst it's considered a long haul flight it's really not that bad.

All airports are within easy access of Manhattan. If you fly into Newark get the PATH train, think it's only $1.

Stuff to do:- Boat out to Statue of Liberty, most of the museums are cool, Brooklyn Bridge (just be careful with your wallet etc.), I did Empire State and the now destroyed World Trade Centre, Rockerfella sounds good though. Also went to the Intrepid Air and Space museum which is on an old aircraft carrier, they have a Blackbird on display Aside from that just enjoy the ambiance, there are may excellent bars (great cocktails) and restaurants
Old 05 July 2011, 03:53 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

American Airlines were the cheapest when I went. £280 return each
Old 05 July 2011, 04:05 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I would reccomend virgin premium economy, still cheap and big comfortable seats..
Old 05 July 2011, 06:36 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Virgin pilots have voted for a strike.
Old 05 July 2011, 06:38 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

We went last year with Aer Lingus and to be honest they were the best I've flown long haul with, apart from Virgin.

We stayed at the Affinia Manhattan which is directly opposite Madison Square Garden and about 10 minutes walk up to Times Square. Empire State not too far from there either-really lovely hotel.

Get the New York Pass too-pickk it up from Planet Hollywood in Times Square. Wel worth the money and saved us a fortune!!

I cannot wait to go back-it was fantastic and my step-daughter and I are heading back next year!! Enjoy!
Old 05 July 2011, 06:39 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Virgin Atlantic have been a consistent let down in Premium the last few times I've flown with them - Really have let the ball slip through their fingers IMHO