smartphones - best battery

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2011, 09:25 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smartphones - best battery

hi folks,

looking into going back into contract phones. id like a smart phone but last time i looked the battery life on em was pathetic.

is this still true? which android has the best battery life?
Old 03 July 2011, 09:42 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default droid battery

Hi, am travelling all the time, so have researched this one a lot!
I have 3 Android phones, a 7" monster tablet phone, a 5" screen Dell Streak tablet phone and a HD2 converted to Android 2.3, the other two being Froyo 2.2 android.
As you have noticed the standard batteries are usually pretty woeful being 1100mah or similar. Go on Ebay and have a search for extended standard sized batteries for the phone that interests you. Some bigger batteries have new phone backs and make the phone into a brick!
The HTC wildfire has a 2430mah gold battery on ebay, as does the HD2, the streak has a 1850mah battery. These batteries will give you 3 days of reasonable use and 5 days on standby with a bit of texting.
A bit like buying a printer, always check you can get readonably priced inks before forking out!
There are symbian phones too worth looking at, depends if you want a touch screen or a keyboard....
Old 03 July 2011, 09:48 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I have a Xperia Arc and it needs charging every day and a half or so with fairly regular use. Would like it to go a bit further!

5t.
Old 03 July 2011, 10:12 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Erics...item4cf81b8d8a

Big battery new back....maybe a bit bulky

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-ERICS...item41589a8eae

looks like this one fits with standard back

Try mobilefun.co.uk for accesories as well
Old 03 July 2011, 10:40 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default Travelling!

When you are travelling a full day to get home and have no access to power, it is not O.K.!
That's why I try to help when I can, rather than deny the problem exists!
You have a less mobile lifestyle, I am more of a vagrant around Europe and as far as Eastern Turkey / Georgia. In some places there are few facilities, pretty basic, not like you are used to!
Old 03 July 2011, 10:53 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy extra batteries When I was on holiday last yeay I had to charge my samsung galaxy s three times to last the whole day as I was constantly on the web and playing games and txting so when I got home I bought a package from ebay for £10 that included two batteries and a seperate charger. There is no way I can use that lot up in the day as I can always charge a battery if I wanted
Old 03 July 2011, 11:12 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i've ordered one of the gold batterys for my desire hd just to try it out as my cigarette lighters stopped working in my car and i haven't been bothered to fix it yet.
Old 03 July 2011, 11:17 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default weight

As I fly economy (20kg), everything has to be prioritised, so a charger and extra batteries is not a solution!
I do this for a living, not once a year holiday!
The advice is given freely, Eastern Europe has a can do mentality, unfortunately the U.K. still prefers the can't do! I guess that is what motivated me to work away from the U.K. for a bit more positivity!
Old 03 July 2011, 11:21 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default They do work!

Originally Posted by belliott69
i've ordered one of the gold batterys for my desire hd just to try it out as my cigarette lighters stopped working in my car and i haven't been bothered to fix it yet.
I have one for the HD2 and one for my sons HTC Wildfire, they work with no extra paraphinalia, are the same size as the ordinary capacity ones, so phone looks the same, just lasts much longer!
Old 03 July 2011, 11:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Which is the best HTC phone that is currently on the market?
Old 04 July 2011, 12:12 AM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default Put off by HD2 not ported to Android

Out of the loop on new stuff, used to harang the HTC guys in the local mall about the poor product support for the HD2.
Bought 2 wildfires for the young adults, one complained so much about slow speed of phone that I got her a Samsung Omnia pro B7350 windows 6.5 phone with a Blackberry styling, so the screen is small and the battery life is O.K.
The 2.3 version put on the sad windows HD2 makes it a great 4.3" svreen touch phone. I don't think HTC have done a bigger screen yet. It is a good balance of physical size and useability. Keep well clear of windows operating systems as the power consumption was stupid and the software was buggy!
Dual core processors sound great, but the power consumption will probably be increasing and the battery.....been there already on that one!
Old 04 July 2011, 06:04 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Which is the best HTC phone that is currently on the market?
The Sensation is HTC's current flagship model.
Old 04 July 2011, 08:09 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
The Sensation is HTC's current flagship model.
Thanks, will have to compare that to the iPhone and finally make my choice. Every time I get close to making up my mind, something else swings it for me
Old 04 July 2011, 09:54 AM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default cores thats right

Originally Posted by hutton_d
If you read the reviews the battery life is better on the dual-core phones.

Dave
Hmm have quad core laptop, that runs hotter than a Turkish wrestlers Jockstrap! Got extended battery for device to stop the lights going out when not on the mains!
Reviews are great, but how many times did the phone in the box that you took home not have the promised 400 hr standby time and 6 hours talk time?
Lolz

Maybe that is why ebay is full of bigger capacity phone batteries!
It would be great to get a smart phone that just works for 3 days out the box, but having had N series from Nokia, then HTC and Dell it has not happened yet!
Old 04 July 2011, 11:30 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slugmeister
Hmm have quad core laptop, that runs hotter than a Turkish wrestlers Jockstrap! Got extended battery for device to stop the lights going out when not on the mains!
Reviews are great, but how many times did the phone in the box that you took home not have the promised 400 hr standby time and 6 hours talk time?
Lolz

It would be great to get a smart phone that just works for 3 days out the box, but having had N series from Nokia, then HTC and Dell it has not happened yet!
My Blackberry will work for 3days without breaking a sweat as long as I don't have my wifi running and turn off 3G at the house(as there isn't 3G in my area) as it stops it searching for a non-existant 3G signal.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 04 July 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04 July 2011, 01:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You really need to decide what you are going to need from it. If browsing the web, playing games, emailing, social networking, all of these tasks will kill the battery. The screens are so good now (as well as big) that it takes quite a lot of juice to power it. I have battery usuage detector on my htc desire s and quite often, 80% of my battery goes on powering the screen.
If you are just going to use occassionally for these things but mainly for txting of phone calls, my HTC Desire S will last around 2 days. But then again, if this is all you will be doing, why buy a smart phone? Buy a netbook instead!
Old 04 July 2011, 01:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use juice defender on my android phone, it has nearly doubled the battery life on my phone. If you spend all day on facebook and jacking off on www.rubbercladlesbians.com though, a bigger battery is the way to go.
Old 04 July 2011, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

]
Lolz

+1

How they get away with quoting 'upto' 400hrs stand-by on the specifications is infuriating.

Thus I've sent back an iP3GS, Desire, Galaxy and given up, making do with a scraggy old Samsung Tocco...well at least the battery lasts more than 3 days (mind you, thats supposed to last 'upto' 400hrs too! )

Why doesn't trading standards do anything about it?

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 July 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04 July 2011, 01:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I had a sony ericsson phone that quoted 400hours standby and it did. I switched it on with no sim in it and it was on constantly for about 16days but when you add a sim card that dropped down to 5 days and you could more than half that when you used it.
Old 04 July 2011, 03:41 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

'Up to'. As soon as you use the battery, of course it is going to drop.

When you consider how much these smart phones can do, it is hardly surprising that battery life is going to suffer. Laptops only last around 2-3 hours, netbooks 6-8hrs.
So to get a full day and a half from what is effectively a pocket computer, seems pretty good to me.
Old 04 July 2011, 03:54 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
'Up to'. As soon as you use the battery, of course it is going to drop.

When you consider how much these smart phones can do, it is hardly surprising that battery life is going to suffer. Laptops only last around 2-3 hours, netbooks 6-8hrs.
So to get a full day and a half from what is effectively a pocket computer, seems pretty good to me.
The oldies here though remember the good old days when their nokia 402 ran for 30 years on a single charge, and the worst thing teenagers did in those days was scrump apples from old farmer jacks orchard
Old 04 July 2011, 03:59 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And everything was black and white....yeah I know.

My first phone was a Nokia 3210. That would last a good week, even with lots of 'snake' time.
So wouldn't want to go back though.

Last edited by Gear Head; 04 July 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04 July 2011, 04:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

When you are travelling a full day to get home and have no access to power, it is not O.K.!
That's why I try to help when I can, rather than deny the problem exists!
You have a less mobile lifestyle, I am more of a vagrant around Europe and as far as Eastern Turkey / Georgia. In some places there are few facilities, pretty basic, not like you are used to!
Totally get where you are coming from. To be honest I gave up on smartphones for travelling a while back. I just take my old Nokia 6300 and a spare battery - 14 days use out of those two.
Old 05 July 2011, 06:13 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys everyone! sounds like the battery life is still naff! i might hold off.
i cant be arsed with charging all the time.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:37 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Buy extra batteries When I was on holiday last yeay I had to charge my samsung galaxy s three times to last the whole day as I was constantly on the web and playing games and txting
You must be fun to be with on holiday

Chip
Old 05 July 2011, 07:42 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
+1

How they get away with quoting 'upto' 400hrs stand-by on the specifications is infuriating.

Thus I've sent back an iP3GS, Desire, Galaxy and given up, making do with a scraggy old Samsung Tocco...well at least the battery lasts more than 3 days (mind you, thats supposed to last 'upto' 400hrs too! )

Why doesn't trading standards do anything about it?

The reason they get away with it is because they test the phone in airplane mode, turn the screen brightness off and then leave the phone in a hibernated state, thus making the phone a brick that slowly runs down battery. Its the same as most things nowadays, find the highest figures you can get and add the two words, "up too".
Old 05 July 2011, 09:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
You must be fun to be with on holiday

Chip
Go on holiday with the wife and kids and see what you do