Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What should we do about the Monarchy?
Keep it - Kate in hot!
76.09%
We need a Republic - off with their heads!
20.65%
I don't care - when is X factor on next?
3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Scrap the Monarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2011, 06:27 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scrap the Monarchy?

I thought it may be time for a debate about the Monarchy?

The Royal wedding has brought a lot of these people out of the woodwork on the radio etc.

Personally I think the Crown represents a very important implied check upon the power of Parliament in conjunction with the Lords.

In a sense this promotes the interests of the people; Parliament only represents the people so long as it remains uncorrupted and its powers limited.

But we have seen under Labour a creeping increase in the powers of the Politicians and state. ANPR being a good example....it is mass surveillance with zero oversight. A more slower creep would be the banning of the individuals right to firearms over many decades.

So I worry that the check on Parliament (provided by the Crown) is not enough and thus perhaps we need a US style system with a written constitution.

What we need to avoid is a Republic system driven and run by awful Ken Livingstone leftist types who are only interested in their own power.
Old 24 April 2011, 06:36 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I thought it may be time for a debate about the Monarchy?

The Royal wedding has brought a lot of these people out of the woodwork on the radio etc.

Personally I think the Crown represents a very important implied check upon the power of Parliament in conjunction with the Lords.

In a sense this promotes the interests of the people; Parliament only represents the people so long as it remains uncorrupted and its powers limited.

But we have seen under Labour a creeping increase in the powers of the Politicians and state. ANPR being a good example....it is mass surveillance with zero oversight. A more slower creep would be the banning of the individuals right to firearms over many decades.

So I worry that the check on Parliament (provided by the Crown) is not enough and thus perhaps we need a US style system with a written constitution.

What we need to avoid is a Republic system driven and run by awful Ken Livingstone leftist types who are only interested in their own power.
As above!!

Plus would rather someone represent us over seas that has had the best we can offer, rather than TonyBlair, or ANY elected person.
Plus the whole system is worth it, look at the Russians, the French, the Americans etc etc who flock to see our day to day changing of the guard, the pop and ceremony etc etc.

I for one would rather keep them and limit the powers of Parliament. I mean how many assemblies, local governments, councils with CEO`s paid more than the PM, its all WRONG.

They need to realise they SERVE US, at least the Royalty know their place for the most part, we serve them but atleast they treat us a LOT better.
Old 24 April 2011, 06:43 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

and the alternative is we end up like France?

do you want someoen like Tony Bliar being head of state?

or we end up like America?

I'm happy to help pay my 67p a year towards having a Monarchy.
Old 24 April 2011, 07:00 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not keen on the monarchy, or the cost of them.

BUT, the foreign tourism they attract probably offsets the cost, so I guess they should stay.
Old 24 April 2011, 07:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Kate in hot?

Hot what?

Now Kate in a Swarfega bath I could understand

dl

(Don't mind Queenie and Anne but sod the rest of them)
Old 24 April 2011, 07:37 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im not sure what the numbers are but they do bring in a very significantly larger sum then they cost, despite using RAF helicopters to pick up their girlfriends.

But none of us get to choose who we are born to.

And i would not want to be one regardless of the lifestyle, the constant media attention surrounding your every word and movement must drive them crazy.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As far as i am concerned, Kate is not part of the argument ,although she seems like a pretty capable person.

As in any family, there are good ones and then the others!

I have the greatest respect for the Queen and the way she has conducted her reign over such a long time and the way she took over from her father at short notice of course and at such a young age. I shall certainly celebrate her silver jubilee next year.

I think the monarchy is very important to this country and I for one am quite happy to pay the 65p or so per annum that they say the monarchy costs us. I consider it to be a bargain with regard to the advantages they bestow on this country.

Les
Old 25 April 2011, 12:37 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have the greatest respect for the Queen and the way she has conducted her reign over such a long time and the way she took over from her father at short notice of course and at such a young age. I shall certainly celebrate her silver jubilee next year.
Pssst Les, silver jubilee was 1977 ... diamond jubilee next year

As to the poll. Keep the monarchy, the country would be even worse off wthout them. The Queen is the single biggest ambassdor for our country.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are right of course, thank goodness Mrs Leslie did not see my mistake-I'd never hear the end of it!

And I had not even had a sloe gin-yet!

Les
Old 25 April 2011, 12:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
You are right of course, thank goodness Mrs Leslie did not see my mistake-I'd never hear the end of it!

And I had not even had a sloe gin-yet!

Les

Midday and you're still sober
Old 25 April 2011, 01:46 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Im not sure what the numbers are but they do bring in a very significantly larger sum then they cost, despite using RAF helicopters to pick up their girlfriends.

But none of us get to choose who we are born to.

And i would not want to be one regardless of the lifestyle, the constant media attention surrounding your every word and movement must drive them crazy.
Parliament cost money too and I don't see the Queen making up expenses.

Also whatever we replace the Monarchy with would cost too...a President is not free or another assembly.

So for me the cost is 100% irrelevant.
Old 25 April 2011, 03:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Well I voted pro monarchy.

Kate is babeishious, Princess Anne Supports Scottish rugby and, more seriously, Liz is a great ambassador for GB. She will be sorely missed when she finally departs this world ( not too soon I hope), not least because we will then have King Charles Spaniel III!
Old 25 April 2011, 04:02 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Do they even have any real power anymore?

They seam to do **** all regards the actual running of the country?
Just what kind of power do they have, if you spat on one would you be killed?

I am pro Royal, but only because they are a successful business for the uk, and we dont have many left
Old 25 April 2011, 04:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

At 67p a head its a bargain. And a lot of that 67p goes on tax etc anyway.

Long may she reign

Chip
Old 25 April 2011, 05:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Awe c'mon Scoobynetters, "X Factor" only has one vote!
Old 25 April 2011, 05:40 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

The nine republicans are shy.
Old 26 April 2011, 11:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foxarm
Midday and you're still sober
Amazing isn't it!

Les
Old 26 April 2011, 11:53 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I personally like our history and where we've come from.

If you compare some countries with an elected head of state, there is occasionally such venom (in the US for Obama for instance) from those who did not elect him, that I wonder why they support their own state system in the first place? Are they effectively saying we are badly run and don't believe we have a head of state suitable to run our own country? Yes it appears they are saying that!

Overall most countries appear to complain one shape or form about their elective methods and nothing appears to work for everyone.

At least with a non elected Monarch I can sit back and be comfortable that I had no hand (nor did anyone else) in putting them there. As long as they do a decent job of representing the country, and I think they do, then we can leave the politics to others and we can all hate them instead.

So what should we do about it? Nothing, but perhaps offer the French, US and Russia a spare member of the Royal Family if they think their prez's are crap. They'd have to pay us of course having such a great form of government.
Old 26 April 2011, 12:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

IPersonally I think the Crown represents a very important implied check upon the power of Parliament in conjunction with the Lords.
i think the use of the "Royal Perogative" gives the executive far reaching powers without the recourse to parliamnent.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a good thing that the Queen has the power to prorogue Parliament and to refuse laws if she wishes as well as dismiss the Prime Minister.
Les
Old 28 April 2011, 12:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i think the use of the "Royal Perogative" gives the executive far reaching powers without the recourse to parliamnent.
Well it wouldn't be a check upon Parliaments powers in they didn't have any power.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

that may or may not be so -- but at least it should go before the elected representatives
Old 28 April 2011, 01:09 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm getting bloody excited about the big day now! It's going to be great! So excited that I'm ending my 10 day holiday early to go back to work tomorrow.
Old 28 April 2011, 02:37 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Take what you like from these figures from a TV program:
£30 Million from tourism in 1 day of the royal wedding just in London.
These people are probably here for the week!
Why will billions around the world be watching it?
They want what we've got,that's why.
Old 28 April 2011, 04:40 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Do they even have any real power anymore?

They seam to do **** all regards the actual running of the country?
Just what kind of power do they have, if you spat on one would you be killed?

I am pro Royal, but only because they are a successful business for the uk, and we dont have many left

are you seriously saying you don't know the answers to your question about what power the Queen has?

You need to go back a few hundred years........ do the Round Heads and Cavaliers mean anything or ring a bell to you??
Old 28 April 2011, 05:02 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the 'Queen of England' together with the Rothschilds owned the whole world and that we are all just slaves and powerless to do anything about it?

If so, I would be willing to offer myself as Kate's sex slave to save the rest of you.
Old 28 April 2011, 05:11 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Parliament cost money too and I don't see the Queen making up expenses.

Also whatever we replace the Monarchy with would cost too...a President is not free or another assembly.

So for me the cost is 100% irrelevant.
At 67p each per annum the cost should be irrelevant to everyone living in the UK.

You forget how much tourism the Monarchy and the history of the Monarchy in this country generates and the millions it generates for the economy. Not to mention the internaional business they can generate.

As Les said the Queen has to be applauded for the way she as conducted her reign.

I'm all for the Royal Family at least this wedding is generating a buzz in these down trodden times, our street is having a BBQ and Booze on the green all the kids did something at school today, reminds me of when I was a kid and the Silver Jubilee and Chaz and Di's wedding 4 years later, nice to see some community spirit in this country, a rare thing nowadays.
Old 28 April 2011, 05:18 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
At 67p each per annum the cost should be irrelevant to everyone living in the UK.

You forget how much tourism the Monarchy and the history of the Monarchy in this country generates and the millions it generates for the economy. Not to mention the internaional business they can generate.

As Les said the Queen has to be applauded for the way she as conducted her reign.

I'm all for the Royal Family at least this wedding is generating a buzz in these down trodden times, our street is having a BBQ and Booze on the green all the kids did something at school today, reminds me of when I was a kid and the Silver Jubilee and Chaz and Di's wedding 4 years later, nice to see some community spirit in this country, a rare thing nowadays.

You might not be invited after your *ahem* 'incident' the other day!
Old 30 April 2011, 12:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You certainly can't say that the monarchy is not respected after yesterday!

Les
Old 30 April 2011, 03:05 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastic day

Felt proud to be British, and so nice to see so many others feeling the same way.

And I don"t say that too often