Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job problems..AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2011, 01:17 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job problems..AGAIN

OK. So, some of you may remember my issue with my part time (well, 20-30 hour a week "senior barman" job) which i have previously posted about. I had issues where i felt singled out and that the owners of the pub had twisted and made something up in order to get me in to trouble.

Well the latest is this. I have received a Facebook message from my boss (landlady) saying that she would like me to come in on sunday at 11am for a formal (formal meeting arranged by formal facebook ) meeting to discuss two major issues. i was told i am aloud to bring a witness but it cannot be a girl who left roughly 3 months ago, a girl who is working her notice period, or the other head bar girl.

I was always under the impression that i could bring whoever i chose as a witness to a formal meeting?

Also, i have been convinced for a while that the owners have placed microphones around the place so i had a few other questions (please don't think of me as paranoid, if you knew the owners you would know what i mean and why i thought this) If they accuse me of something but do not tell me who came forward and grassed me up (if there is anything i have apparently done) do they have to tell me who told them? I'd imagine if they heard something on a hidden mic then they wouldn't tell me this as I'm sure its illegal?!

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 March 2011, 01:22 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Go get another job.
Old 24 March 2011, 02:54 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Have you replied to the facebook message? If so I would see which union deals with these jobs, join it bloody quick, then deliberately have your representation delay the meeting (totally legal) by up to the 5 working days entitled. Take he or she with you after filling them in of every detail.

If you haven't replied the message, ignore until you receive something in writing, again a union representative will advise on the legalities about proper notification. I would play hardball given your previous off them and make life uncomfortable before you leave. Bollocks to friends if the family etc, get some good advice Cwiss
Old 24 March 2011, 03:00 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto above. Join a union
Old 24 March 2011, 08:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Looks like you are wasting your time working there.

Les
Old 24 March 2011, 08:51 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yeah just leave. Getting another bar job can't be that hard.

The the bitch to stick it!
Old 24 March 2011, 10:03 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You were contacted via Facebook. How unprofessional is that.
I would not turn up and spend today looking for another job. Good luck
Old 24 March 2011, 10:15 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

as above - get another job

but whilst you're here, I'll have 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps pls
Old 24 March 2011, 10:38 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

***** to a Union - take your money for not a lot to be honest. Speak to CAB and/or ACAS for some free advice but given it is a bar job and you are not full time, go get a new job and walk out. Reason for leaving? "End of contract" nuff said.

5t.
Old 24 March 2011, 11:33 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Flying headbutt to her love tunnel, situation sorted.
Old 24 March 2011, 02:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Also, i have been convinced for a while that the owners have placed microphones around the place so i had a few other questions (please don't think of me as paranoid, if you knew the owners you would know what i mean and why i thought this) If they accuse me of something but do not tell me who came forward and grassed me up (if there is anything i have apparently done) do they have to tell me who told them? I'd imagine if they heard something on a hidden mic then they wouldn't tell me this as I'm sure its illegal?!
Not being funny, but the above makes you out to have a guilty concience about something.

"Who came forward and grassed me up"?

So come on then, what have you done?
Old 24 March 2011, 02:36 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

They're playing at being important.... they're feckin pub landlords ffs, this smacks of them thinking they're Donald and What's her face Trump!

Tell them to jog on
Old 24 March 2011, 02:39 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide
***** to a Union - take your money for not a lot to be honest. Speak to CAB and/or ACAS for some free advice but given it is a bar job and you are not full time, go get a new job and walk out. Reason for leaving? "End of contract" nuff said.

5t.
Yeah most trade unions wont necessarily assist with a case that has technically already started, a bit like trying to buy insurance for a car after you have crashed it. They may very well take your money and then say that dealing with the case is at discretion of the negotiations officer and he will weigh up the cost of taking on the case for the Union (legal expenses etc.) versus what they would be able to get out of it for their memebers at the company in question....

Speak with ACAS and then get another job basically
Old 24 March 2011, 03:06 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

with 2.5 millon looking for a job good luck with just getting another

union will probably be funny about representing you if your not a member already.

CAB can advise you your rights

what i learnt having been through the process is write down everything they say at meeting dont trust their "independent" note taker keep every letter check your contract for procedures and try and find a mate who you can take as a witness other staff members will be under pressure to back the boss or their next out the door.

If you also go to tribunal it isnt as difficult as you would expect and if you have legal protection on your house insurance that might pay for legal fees, i found that out to late, the more notes you write down and evidence like the face book message the more it proves they are not acting with in the employment law

HTH
Old 24 March 2011, 03:22 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps your boss is trying to tell you something, that you spend far too much time on facebook and the only way to communicate with you is via facebook!

I'm lucky as I've to yet to see a post from my boss on SNet telling they want to speak to me!
Old 24 March 2011, 05:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
You were contacted via Facebook. How unprofessional is that.
I would not turn up and spend today looking for another job. Good luck
+1

disciplinary meetings should be called by formal notification - a letter! You work for an unprofessional idiot!

If you do attend then take notes or even record the interview, you will be given a set amount of time to respond and suggest you do so in writing - that is if you can be bothered and if i was you i would put my effort into finding another job.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 March 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 24 March 2011, 05:26 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Take an employment law solicitor with you and enjoy watching them being taken apart.

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 24 March 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 24 March 2011, 07:42 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Flying headbutt to her love tunnel, situation sorted.
Why hasn't this thread been locked? This is the only answer you needed

Aaron

Ps: As others have said just leave, this really isn't worth the hassle or your time.
Old 24 March 2011, 07:57 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't waste time with this meeting other than to hand in your notice.Go get another bar job,do you really want carry on working where you think the owner is planting mics etc.

How difficult is it to get another bar job ...
Old 24 March 2011, 09:12 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I would go to the meeting, but i would...
  • Bring "the other head bar girl" (or similar) as a witness, as they can't dictate who you choose.
  • Openly (and with their permission of course, otherwise leave) record the meeting on a Dictaphone or similar (as well as taking notes).
  • Hand over a formal (hard copy) letter of complaint regarding their use of "Facebook" as a method of communication.
  • Not mention "hidden mikes", as if they have been installed to snoop on staff without letting you know then they are on a very sticky wicket - save this for later action
  • Read a copy of your job contract, just to check anything relevant (you do have one, don't you?)
  • Go to your CAB and get a bunch of employment law leaflets that you can stick "obviously" in the folder of bumf that you take to the meeting

Oh, and get another job lined up, so you can leave regardless of the outcome

mb (p.s. IANAL)
Old 24 March 2011, 09:33 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

TBH, if they've got a problem with you whether its justified or not you are going to struggle to continue to work there.

Can you not take someone completely unrelated to the job? Go to see what they say but have a typed resignation letter in your pocket.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Go get another job.

I tried telling him that months ago but it appears he did not take the advice

As i said previous, He can fight tooth and nail all he wants to keep this one, but what is the point?

They dont want him, even if he somehow keeps it (they will always be looking for an excuse) it is going to make the job be a nightmare to work.

So here we are a few months down the line, and they are still blatantly looking at ways to get rid of him.

Sack them off and find something else.
Old 24 March 2011, 10:40 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I tried telling him that months ago but it appears he did not take the advice

As i said previous, He can fight tooth and nail all he wants to keep this one, but what is the point?

They dont want him, even if he somehow keeps it (they will always be looking for an excuse) it is going to make the job be a nightmare to work.

So here we are a few months down the line, and they are still blatantly looking at ways to get rid of him.

Sack them off and find something else.
Right so like we say,go get another job m8.Don't get it wrong but is not like you're a fighter pilot or something.To me it wouldn't be even worth bothering with.but you know what you are worth,if you are worth more than this,then grow some ***** and hand in your notice.
Old 27 March 2011, 02:27 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Not being funny, but the above makes you out to have a guilty concience about something.

"Who came forward and grassed me up"?

So come on then, what have you done?
Thanks everyone for all of your replies, i really appreciate them. For the few people who told me to leave before hand, the situation fizzled out, i started uni and the jobs flexibility fitted and i have not had time to look for a new job. although this has given me a kick up the backside to look for a new one (besides, i have got some new DJ equipment which is long overdue and i'm recording and sending out a demo mix this week left right and centre so getting spots as a DJ is my main priority)

However the above quoted comment got my attention and i wanted to point out that i meant, what would they have to do should i ask who told them that i had done wrong? not that i have done something wrong, but if they heard something recorded and then twisted it so that they say they were told something rather than blowing their cover. If that makes sense? My point was could they get away with saying "we aren't telling you who told us"

Anyway my meeting is tomorrow at 11, and my witness will be my dad. He actually knows them and i think the shock of seeing him will tear there whole game apart.

Major LOLZ.
Old 27 March 2011, 07:52 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, i really appreciate them. For the few people who told me to leave before hand, the situation fizzled out, i started uni and the jobs flexibility fitted and i have not had time to look for a new job. although this has given me a kick up the backside to look for a new one (besides, i have got some new DJ equipment which is long overdue and i'm recording and sending out a demo mix this week left right and centre so getting spots as a DJ is my main priority)

However the above quoted comment got my attention and i wanted to point out that i meant, what would they have to do should i ask who told them that i had done wrong? not that i have done something wrong, but if they heard something recorded and then twisted it so that they say they were told something rather than blowing their cover. If that makes sense? My point was could they get away with saying "we aren't telling you who told us"

Anyway my meeting is tomorrow at 11, and my witness will be my dad. He actually knows them and i think the shock of seeing him will tear there whole game apart.

Major LOLZ.
Good luck, keep you cool and your dignity!
Old 27 March 2011, 08:45 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Major LOLZ.

Dont you believe it!

If they have sufficient grounds to let you go, they will.

Sorry mate, but taking your dad will, possibly get you a respite, but the situation wont end....it will get worse,

Take a solicitor, or better still walk away... all your doing is kidding yourself... for what?

Mart