Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mini dealership - tough job as manager?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2011, 01:48 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Mini dealership - tough job as manager?

During a meeting with a client today, it was mentioned that the local Mini dealership needed a manager. Its not been well run for a while and needs turning round (hopefully that doesn't mean its dying on its butt)

They would look at anyone who was good with people and didn't necessarily have to have a car sales background.

I'm not exactly unhappy where I am now (IFA practice) but unless its fund management, it doesn't really excite me. The regulation and constant examination is pain. It's also part family owned and I'm expected to take over "our part" in due course but even now things are moving in ways I'm not happy with.

I do some client facing and although we are part fee, part commission we don't inforce targets. I did ask what were the sales targets like for Mini and "achieveable" was the reply but there would be alot of back work running the place.

Mentioned the idea to a work colleague and his reply was basically "You'll have a nervous breakdown inside a year!"
Old 23 February 2011, 02:37 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Surely your more likely to have a breakdown when if ****e hits the fan its your own business up the swanny?
If it tickles your fancy go for it, lifes too short for what ifs.
Old 23 February 2011, 04:14 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I left engineering I worked briefly for a Porsche dealership in a support role. The egos of the sales staff were off the scale and I'm not sure what rubbish they told their customers as most knew little about their product outside of the brochure.

The manager had to be completely ruthless to keep things under control. Not saying Mini would be the same, but thats not my idea of job satisfaction.
Old 23 February 2011, 04:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not only Sales, but Workshop, Parts, Admin, Finance, Delivery etc

Guess it depends if you have what it takes to be a good manager?
Old 23 February 2011, 04:37 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not my cup of tea but if you think it's what you want and you reckon you can make a good stab of it then best of luck to you mate
Old 23 February 2011, 04:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Would imagine thats a pretty good number, a high image product that sells itself to an aspirational and largely affluent clientele, would imagine Mini's dont get heavily discounted and they end up optioned up.
Old 23 February 2011, 04:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Need to be good at fobbing people off on warranty claims.

There is only so many times a customer can accept that a gearbox failure is due to the types of shoes they wear. (True btw...Mini Ones used to eat gearboxes).
Old 23 February 2011, 05:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes and you need to be able to sell someone a Union Jack for the roof of their "British" car for £200 or whatever with a straight face.
Old 23 February 2011, 05:32 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Think Of all the fit women coming in to buy one
Old 23 February 2011, 06:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [-(o)-]

The manager had to be completely ruthless to keep things under control. Not saying Mini would be the same, but thats not my idea of job satisfaction.
Funnily enough, the wife said I think you need to be very ruthless. I asked if she thought I was ruthless and she laughed at me

I'm also questioning why they have to look outside their own staff for the job - you would think one of the salesforce would step up?
Old 23 February 2011, 06:14 PM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

How are Mini sales doing generally these days? I just wonder if the novelty is wearing off as it did with the "new" Beetle.
Old 23 February 2011, 06:21 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Unless your an experienced dealership manager with proven track record i think it highly unlikely you would get the role, sorry and of course i dont mean to offend.

What i'm thinking is with the amount of dealerships going under (some of which with good sales figures, just had the plugs pulled by the manufacturers) there will be a wealth of people applying for every opportunty. Of course i maybe wrong, and if in oubt apply....you have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

While your there ask if you can buddy up with a salesman for an hour, after the interview to see "what its all about". You get a look at the environment, and the interviewer remembers you for asking something outside the box.

I interview people a LOT, and anyone who ever asked me for a "look at the role/ environment" always sticks out in my mind when i'm reviewing the interviewee's on the day......
Old 23 February 2011, 07:33 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Edd, can you lie through your teeth and not give a monkey's about a fellow human?

If you can then go for it because thats what you will need to do to make it work. If you feel you can give it a good crack and you can always go back to the family business if it does not work out then what have you to lose apart from a few months/years of your time?
Old 23 February 2011, 07:45 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would probably recommend stay clear
Not too bad being a sales manager but to get involved in the warranty claims and workshop issues is a whole new ballgame

The salesmen won't have much respect for you ,not being in the motor trade and you might have trouble telling them their job if you are an outsider to the industry
Best stick to your own field to be honest

Furniture industry manager for 26 years but can't wait only 4 years to retire
Old 24 February 2011, 10:16 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby

I interview people a LOT, and anyone who ever asked me for a "look at the role/ environment" always sticks out in my mind when i'm reviewing the interviewee's on the day......
Is that a good thing or bad? I can't tell.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Edd, can you lie through your teeth and not give a monkey's about a fellow human?

If you can then go for it because thats what you will need to do to make it work. If you feel you can give it a good crack and you can always go back to the family business if it does not work out then what have you to lose apart from a few months/years of your time?
No, I'm a terrible liar. It's why I bang on about not all IFAs being lying slimey bastids. I'm not prepared to lie to people.
Old 24 February 2011, 06:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72

Rather negative attitude. My sister is on her second mini and she is very pleased with the service from BMW. The sales guy sent her regular texts on what stage her car was at, when to expect delivery, rang her once she had the car to see if there were any problems etc. It doesn't all have to be negative.
The only thing i'd want to know is how many managers were there before you and how long did they last. I dont like companies that have high staff turnovers.
Old 24 February 2011, 07:09 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Rather negative attitude. My sister is on her second mini and she is very pleased with the service from BMW. The sales guy sent her regular texts on what stage her car was at, when to expect delivery, rang her once she had the car to see if there were any problems etc. It doesn't all have to be negative.
The only thing i'd want to know is how many managers were there before you and how long did they last. I dont like companies that have high staff turnovers.
Hate to point out the.obvious but the.sales man wanted to bang your sister I think
Old 24 February 2011, 07:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Hate to point out the.obvious but the.sales man wanted to bang your sister I think
Old 24 February 2011, 07:17 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Old 24 February 2011, 07:22 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

As a manager you need to be good at many things, but you wont have time to be admiring all the ladies wanting to buy mini's as you'll be in your office dealing with other things lol.
Old 24 February 2011, 08:00 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Also they say achievable sales targets, so ask for previous sales figures and see how they line up with thier new targets
Old 24 February 2011, 09:56 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

What's the basic salary? We are in a recession after all. Can you survive on a basic salary?
What a other pros are there?
Do you want to be a car sales person?
Old 24 February 2011, 10:11 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

do you like minis (or driving them) :-)
Old 24 February 2011, 10:17 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
As a manager you need to be good at many things, but you wont have time to be admiring all the ladies wanting to buy mini's as you'll be in your office dealing with other things lol.
Office's have totty too ..........
Old 25 February 2011, 09:00 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Edd, from what I know of you and I know it's only through SN, you don't come across as ruthless enough. I detest car salesmen and the managers are usually worse.
Pressure, pressure. It puts me off buying the car in the end and I usually mooch off somewhere else