Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Appetite change?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2011, 07:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Appetite change?

I've spent the most part of my life eating once a day, evenings. Yeah, I know it's all wrong.
But I feel bloated and slow if I eat mornings and put weight on hugely if I eat at dinner time, (midday), since I then want food in the evening too.

Just recently, though, I've found that I can only eat between half and two thirds of what I used to, but I'm hungry two hours later.

What's that all about?
Old 30 January 2011, 07:26 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

No point in forcing yourself to eat first thing in the morning if you're not hungry. I can't usually swallow a thing for at least an hour or two after I've been up, but I've been that way for years.

Since you're not naturally hungry anyway, it would be the perfect opportunity to get into an early morning exercise routine instead. Build up slowly until you can jog, gym, exercise bike or whatever for a full half hour first thing when you get up, and your appetite will very likely stabilize a bit over time.
Old 30 January 2011, 07:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gastric band ?
Old 30 January 2011, 07:52 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Without setting alarm bells off it might not be a bad idea to have some tests.
Appetite change can sometimes be an indicator.
Old 30 January 2011, 07:56 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like Aids to me!

Old 30 January 2011, 11:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well i can see why youd be hungry , why the appetite loss if nothing else has changed is a bit more difficult
Old 30 January 2011, 11:47 PM
Lisawrx

I would possibly pop to your GP to get a proper opinion/tests if needed. Just to be on the safe side.

However, did you actually change your diet/exercise long term or lose weight from back when you posted about not losing weight? I'm definitely no expert in the weight/diet field, but could it not be all metabolism related? If you've tried various diets or just changed the way you eat at times, it can effect your appetite.
Old 31 January 2011, 08:25 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Agreed it could be worth speaking to the doctor, can be an indicator of something up.
On the other hand maybe you are just being conscious of what and how much you are eating now.
Having no intake all day is not brilliant as you say.
But saying if you eat earlier you feel bloated would suggest you over eat a little when you do eat.
In your other thread you say that you are dieting, so this will also play a part. Spreading your intake and eating less through habit will affect the amount you are able to eat in one sitting anyway, it can reduce drastically.

In short, your changed regime from eating once to now eating 3 times a day, reduced calorie intake, and spreading the volume between 3 meals is bound to cause all of the above.
If you are feeling hungry, down a pint of water or fruit squash (sugar free). Thirst usually comes before hunger but the body gives off the same signals. Simple thinking, with hunger comes food, which contains fluids and you usually drink with it, so you associate thirst with hunger, mixed signals.
If you are still hungry after 5 mins of drinking, consider a small burst of calories,nothing much though.

Last edited by Snazy; 31 January 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:26 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've spent the most part of my life eating once a day, evenings. Yeah, I know it's all wrong.
But I feel bloated and slow if I eat mornings and put weight on hugely if I eat at dinner time, (midday), since I then want food in the evening too.

Just recently, though, I've found that I can only eat between half and two thirds of what I used to, but I'm hungry two hours later.

What's that all about?

Alcazar I'm confused. You're saying you can only eat half of what you used to but your other thread says you can't lose weight.

So are you saying you are eating half as much but gaining weight??
Old 31 January 2011, 03:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I would possibly pop to your GP to get a proper opinion/tests if needed. Just to be on the safe side.

However, did you actually change your diet/exercise long term or lose weight from back when you posted about not losing weight? I'm definitely no expert in the weight/diet field, but could it not be all metabolism related? If you've tried various diets or just changed the way you eat at times, it can effect your appetite.
Tried it for 6 weks or so, never lost anything after the first few days of water loss, but was hungry and unhappy, and so gave up. I'm now fatter than I've ever been, suffer from terrible heartburn, probably due to a hiatus hernia, snore terribly and am very unhappy with the whole thing.
Old 31 January 2011, 03:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Alcazar I'm confused. You're saying you can only eat half of what you used to but your other thread says you can't lose weight.

So are you saying you are eating half as much but gaining weight??
Not really: what happens is that I feel full and can't finish my meal, then, two hours later, I want to start snacking. NOT good, I know.

I'm going to give some time to the exercise in the morning and the pint of water advice and see where that takes me. I also need to cut down my alcohol intake, since most of my calories are alcohol related
Old 31 January 2011, 06:11 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

It could just be an age related thing.
Might be worth keeping a food diary so you can pin-point what foods are making you feel more hungry (eg I love fresh mango but within thirty minutes of eating it I feel ravenous so I have to avoid it).
Old 01 February 2011, 03:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Always possible to lose your appetite. It has happened to me too. I just don't worry about it. Dont seem to lose much weight either.

Les