Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Accident help

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2011, 12:58 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Accident help

Parents car was involved in a non fault smack, basically some old guy touched her car, panicked and mashed the throttle instead of the brake.

Anyway we now have a courtesy car through thrifty, it's a lovely renault grand scenic electric everything and brand new.

Now some jealous idiot has gone and put a scratch down the drivers door, now my insurance has protected ncb etc but can i assume the rental car will be covered with their own insurance?

Im going to do my best to blend the scratch out in the meantime, used to doing that anyway so i 'might' get away with it.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd be tempeted to get a crime number from thw police (vandalism).

Would keep the insurance/hire company happy.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:12 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually the courtesy car is covered under your own insurance. If you signed a document when you collected it, it should say.

People who scratch cars like this should have their fingers cut off. Some one did it to my scooby some years back. Both sides..
Old 14 January 2011, 01:16 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Anyway we now have a courtesy car through thrifty, it's a lovely renault grand scenic electric everything and brand new.
Not a dig at the OP but that's why insurance premiums are soaring.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Yup courtesy cars are usually covered by your own insurance.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if this is the same bunch of idiots going around Cornwall or just some jealous neighbour.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:23 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Could be a neighbour, or just some idiot in tesco/morrisons.

Anyway been told that usually through thrifty they'll have cover, it'll cost me the excess of what my current insurance is.

As for the car, well didn't have a choice nice as it is to drive lol, though that electric handbrake took a bit of getting used to.
Old 14 January 2011, 01:47 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Right just phoned thrifty, it's being rented though an intermediary so it won't affect me at all, they'll just claim through the 3rd parties insurance.

Phew!!
Old 14 January 2011, 05:15 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hux.......are you sure? We have just had a Thrifty rental car (dog dirt brown but new) following a no-fault accident and it was quite clear in the blurb that we got that we would be liable for any excess on damage to the rental car.

Why would the insurers of the car that drove into your parents car cough up for the damage to the rental car??

Just curious

Shaun

(Axa Europe insurance from Gary Moulson)
Old 14 January 2011, 05:18 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Right just phoned thrifty, it's being rented though an intermediary so it won't affect me at all, they'll just claim through the 3rd parties insurance.

Phew!!
it was probably KOT, I blame him for everything
Old 14 January 2011, 05:20 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd be tempeted to get a crime number from thw police (vandalism).

Would keep the insurance/hire company happy.
Criminal Damage not vandalism.
Old 14 January 2011, 05:25 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Hux.......are you sure? We have just had a Thrifty rental car (dog dirt brown but new) following a no-fault accident and it was quite clear in the blurb that we got that we would be liable for any excess on damage to the rental car.

Why would the insurers of the car that drove into your parents car cough up for the damage to the rental car??

Just curious

Shaun

(Axa Europe insurance from Gary Moulson)
You are right that it says it in the blurb, hence why i phoned up the local office. Asked who i was brought up the details and said don't worry about it, it'll be claimed back because technically if they didn't cause the accident i wouldn't be driving the renault in the first place.

The car came from thrifty and the docs are in my name, but it's the intermediary working on behalf of the 3rd party that are coughing up the rental, something along those lines.

Well it's something like this.

3rd party>solicitor>intermediary>thrifty>me

Complicated i know, but that's the way they're doing it, it seems.

Also there is another car involved, basically a rear end shunt that hit my mum who hit the car in front, bit hard to deny that one especially when they were all sitting at a junction. Not to mention there's a witness as well.

Basically the guys screwed.

I will say this, people are jumping in from everywhere all wanting their slice of the pie, the insurers are going to get stung royally poor buggers.

Originally Posted by SwissTony
it was probably KOT, I blame him for everything
Nah i reckon it was central parking ltd

Though kot is dodgy at times.....

Last edited by hux309; 14 January 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 14 January 2011, 06:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hux

Are the solicitors these guys...........

http://www.winnsolicitors.com/

Shaun
Old 14 January 2011, 06:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Usually rental cars are covered by your own insurance and you can pay something like £5/day to cover you if you have an accident (and don't want it recorded on your insurance details).

Personally I would buy the coloured polish with wax stick and try to get the scratch out. This is what we did and they didn't notice.
Old 14 January 2011, 08:24 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Why would someone be jealous of a crap Renault Scenic.?? I know Cornwalls a poor county but bloddy hell????
Old 14 January 2011, 09:05 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Hux

Are the solicitors these guys...........

http://www.winnsolicitors.com/

Shaun
Yup

Originally Posted by mattvortex
Why would someone be jealous of a crap Renault Scenic.?? I know Cornwalls a poor county but bloddy hell????
I know!!

But for one it's big and top of the range, electric everything secondly cornwall is the poorest county in the uk, we get horribly shafted with wages, and the employers don't half know it

Last edited by hux309; 14 January 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 15 January 2011, 01:16 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You are right that it says it in the blurb, hence why i phoned up the local office. Asked who i was brought up the details and said don't worry about it, it'll be claimed back because technically if they didn't cause the accident i wouldn't be driving the renault in the first place.
So if they gave you a Rolls Royce courtesy car the person who caused the original accident would have to pay if an uninsured driver wrote it off while it was in your care That doesn't sound at all right.

EFA
I will say this, people are jumping in from everywhere all wanting their slice of the pie, everyone who pays for car insurance are going to get stung royally poor buggers.
Old 15 January 2011, 01:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

He's using an intermedary i.e an "accident manager"

For example: http://accidentmanagement.co.uk/?gcl...Fcse4QodxWTVGg

These guys take the 3rd party's insurer to the cleaners; literally. As they seek to recover absolutely any loss you have incurred from teh accident, be it time/inconvienience or money.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 15 January 2011, 01:29 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Yes, we know that. Are you thinking that the original insurers won't pass that cost on in increased premiums? They can't just write it off. That's why the accident managers dish out new top spec courtesy cars, they make £100's per day more than if they gave a perfectly adequate (in most cases) 3 year old Nissan Micra. Everyone's car insurance premium goes up as a result.
Old 15 January 2011, 01:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedking
Yes, we know that. Are you thinking that the original insurers won't pass that cost on in increased premiums? They can't just write it off. That's why the accident managers dish out new top spec courtesy cars, they make £100's per day more than if they gave a perfectly adequate (in most cases) 3 year old Nissan Micra. Everyone's car insurance premium goes up as a result.
Of course its causes global increase in insurance premium. But this isn't about the morals of it; The whole insurance industry is immoral. end of.

Its also one of the biggest reason why minor damaged cars get written off (its quicker to resolve as the settlement can be made sooner so less costs are incurred via car rentals and intermediaries etc.). Whatever the iffy morals, That is the "game" they play these day.

Morals aside, if you are left out of pocket over something that was someone else's fault, you'd do the same. I've had it happen to me; Had a bump, then had a solicitor's letter through my letterbox the very next day (and I didn't even give the 3rd part my home address as the car was registered to a business). Yes it made me sick with fury, especially its absurd claims and demands, quoting legal threats on what will happen if I don't sign and return the reply form (which was worded to admit carte blanche liability to all and sundry). I left it blank and I just passed it on to my insurer. After all, thats what I pay them to deal with and argue over. I never heard a dickie bird from either 3rd party or solicitors since.

Because of that, I wouldn't blink at doing the same if the tables were turned.

You need to rant at the government and industry regulators for creating such a system that encourages these activities. These are the ones you need to blame. However bear in mind the UK's most profitable sector is finance, insurance is part of that. Unfortunately extorting money from each other is how they make such profitable industry, so its unwilling to change or set better regulation in place. You and I won't change that as thw gravy train is already moving too fast to stop it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 15 January 2011, 05:12 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Also we didn't choose to go down this route, it was thrust upon us. My mother wanted a small car to drive and they did the total opposite for very obvious reasons.

They are also retired so won't be asking for any loss of time or wages, like most folk all they want is the car fixed and the whole thing to be dealt with asap, not to be dragged out as they have more important things to worry about.

Anyway the engineers report has agreed to all damage bar the indented boot, which was caused by the car riding up the back bumper in the first place, so now that has to be sorted because my mother will fight tooth and nail until the car is sorted back to the way it was before the incident.

As anyone else would ask.