Accident Black Spot (Weather) - C4, Tuesday 19-Dec-2000

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2000, 09:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Yet again, another spot-on program!

The subject was the A616 - which was the final leg of NM4 towards the Flouch Hotel for those who attended in September!

Highlights included (CVP=Cynical Viewpoint):

Lots of problems with ice (many accidents), but frozen road is hard to detect. Solution - intelligent cats eyes, that flash blue below 3degreesC to warn drivers (CVP: sadly non-revenue generating, so lets install Gatsos!).

BIG HGV can brake from 50mpg to zero in 50 metres on standard tarmac (not bad for an umpteen tunner). Sticky tarmac almost half that (CVP: snr-g, sliG!!!

Hard to read the road at night (lots of accidents), due to crap reflection from standard white lines - solution - profile/ridged lines are much better (CV: but that costs more!).

The worst bit was Mr Highways Agency who, in response to the high accident rates statistics (as in rear-end shunts) immediately blames SPEED as the primary cause. Not driver observation, failure to keep a safe distance, lack of sticky tarmac etc.

Sadly tonight was the last in the series - i look forward to the next one!

mb
Old 19 December 2000, 10:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another top program in the series.

Let down by highways man and woman taxi driver blaming wet road for running up someone's a*se.

Should have shown the difference of a modern car with ABS and a 38 tonne artic slowing from 50mph. Why not put Gatso's in villages like the one on the A616 instead of long open dual carriage ways? Not to do with revenue is it.

Lee
Old 20 December 2000, 08:41 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

I didn't see the program, but have used that road a fair bit to get to the M1. You should've seen it ten years ago, it is an interstate highway now by comparison.

If the program is about accident blackspots, couldn't they have just followed a taxi driver around anyway?
Old 20 December 2000, 08:44 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bloody great journey to the office this morning, a 15 mile tail back all because some crap lorry spilt his load in the 1st lane Took me 2.5hrs to get to work!
Old 20 December 2000, 08:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yes, the quote <B>"It was the weather that caused the accident"</B> was a bit poo.

Still, a happy ending for the village. Surprised it took 'em that long to put a speed limit in place!

I loved the idea of the ice warning catseyes, as they were brilliant!
Old 20 December 2000, 10:45 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Yep the usual driving too fast crap.

Driving too close and not paying attention more like it. With the added extra of a poorly maintained road.

Like the way the lorry drivers will speed because they dont want to slow down.

Those "rippled" white lines are better. I must agree, so PUT THEM ON ALL ROADS NOW!

I like the idea of "cold" catseyes, but can you imagine a long stretch of them blinking away, surely thats going to make it more difficult to concentrate on the road!

Would some sort of heat sensitive paint be better? So its white normally, but below a certain temp range, reflects with a bluey tint?

They need more speed cameras thats what they need! I mean if youve got a dodgy road you want people to panic brake to avoid getting done dont you !?

robski