Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trapped between a rock and a hard place at work

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2010, 02:07 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trapped between a rock and a hard place at work

Sorry to bring up the w**k word on here, but I'm after some sensible advice.

Basically I feel trapped in the current job and I really don't want to be here any more (been here 4 years). In my appraisal last year, my team leader said that although there was an opening being made that would be a diagonal move from where I work now (from support to implementation of new systems), I wouldn't be considered for it as they couldn't afford to loose me from the support desk, even though I am the only 1 in the dept that can do the role.

I've come to the decision that this has to come to a head, as I'm constantly stressed and don't want to come to work. If its not dealt with this will seriously start effecting my health.

From here, I have 2 choices, resign my self to this crap or leave. If I book a meeting with the manager, I don't want it to come across as blackmail. ie; give me the new role or I leave. Anyone got ideas how to not appear like that? or on the situation in general.

And no, I am not in the position just to jack the job in sadly.
Old 15 November 2010, 02:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would just 'Suck it up' and deal with it. If you are as indispensable as your boss makes out, there should be no problem with telling him how you feel.
I had to do the same when my work were spreading me out all over the place. I would be 200 miles away from the office but they still expected me to run things as if I was sat at my desk. Told them it wasn't for me and that I wanted my old role back.....and I got it, with a pay rise!

Don't go making yourself ill mate, it's not worth it. Tell the boss how you feel, today!
Old 15 November 2010, 02:32 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Explain in easy english that you are having problems at the moment and that a move would be in the best interests of everyone and also get the point across that you dont want to leave the company.
Old 15 November 2010, 02:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You should try to go for the role and put in an official application for it, either to the new manager or via HR. It's not up to your existing manager of whether they can "afford" to loose you or not and certainly not his decision of whether you'll be considered it or not. Your manager/team leader should not be restricting your development and you don't need his permission to apply for new roles. My feeling is that the team leader doesn't want the hassle of getting a replacement if you were to go.
Old 15 November 2010, 03:19 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

But it is the decision of his manger surely - his job is to protect the business.
OK - yes, he doesn't need the managers decision to apply, but I bet you his manager will have a big say in whether he gets said role or not.
Old 15 November 2010, 03:25 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would just 'Suck it up' and deal with it. If you are as indispensable as your boss makes out, there should be no problem with telling him how you feel.
I had to do the same when my work were spreading me out all over the place. I would be 200 miles away from the office but they still expected me to run things as if I was sat at my desk. Told them it wasn't for me and that I wanted my old role back.....and I got it, with a pay rise!

Don't go making yourself ill mate, it's not worth it. Tell the boss how you feel, today!
I totally agree.
Old 15 November 2010, 03:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well it seems to take a long time in your company to sort out jobs if this was from last year's appraisal.

Go for it if you are sure you can do it. Write or explain that you are very happy in your current role but feel it would be unfair on yourself if you didn't set yourself new challenges. Also say that you think it would be of benefit to the company if you did move - bring new impetus to the company's strategy blah, blah

And if you do write please get someone to check out your letter first as a spellchecker won't tell you that loose should be lose for starters. I am saying this to help not for semantics.

Good luck. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 15 November 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 15 November 2010, 03:52 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Simon, why are you constantly stressed?
Old 15 November 2010, 03:59 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Cos I'm doing my role, I'm also doing the role they wont give me part time (covering holiday or work overload), I also do 2 weeks out of 4 on call, have no life because of this (10 mins response time). Generally so fecked off that I really don't want to be in the office.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:05 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with blackmail (of the right sort), it's business.
They are getting what they want out of the agreement between you and the company. It's only right that you get at least some of what you want. It doesn't sound like you're after money, so make the appointment and have a chat with the boss.
If they value your services so highly they will be happy to ensure you are doing a job you enjoy. Don't be overly agressive, just state your case and they will understand that if you are not happy you will leave.
However there is a limit to how far they will go to accommodate you so be prepared to leave if you don't get something better.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:08 PM
Lisawrx

I think if you feel this bad you need to say something. I wouldn't say you can't cope, but there is surely nothing wrong with admitting you are struggling juggling yourself about so much and that you are unhappy in your current role.

You don't need to go in with a give me what I want or I'll walk approach, but just explain you think you would benefit from a change and ultimately that would benefit the company. Surely it benefits the company if staff are happy, i.e. perform better etc.

The fact is you can't even potentially change your situation if you don't say anything. The worst that can happen (I'd think) is nothing changes, but you won't get if you don't ask.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:10 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

If you are suffering from stress, you won't be performing properly anyway.

Talk to your boss and tell him it's too much work and, if this situation continues, you'll simply have to leave to recover your health and sanity. If it comes across a little like blackmail then fine.

don't let it get to the point where you're so desperate you do something silly.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:16 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

This is the problem, when you become irreplacable in your role you can't get promoted because it would screw them over.

I would agree with the others though. Have a chat with the manager and maybe someone above him and lay it on the line. Its like sales, don't say anything they can't disagree with "i'm doing a great job aren't i?" "i've gone above and beyond" etc etc and then ask where that leaves you. You realise you are a major asset to the company etc etc but you do need to feel like your career will progress. You were as good as told at your last appraisal that you were so good that wouldn't happen which is flattering but not really good for you... what can they do to help/reassure you?

You don't have to put them over a barrel, just have an open chat.

5t.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:17 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
If you are suffering from stress, you won't be performing properly anyway.

Talk to your boss and tell him it's too much work and, if this situation continues, you'll simply have to leave to recover your health and sanity. If it comes across a little like blackmail then fine.

don't let it get to the point where you're so desperate you do something silly.
Silly won't happen. Still got the car to pay for and my creditors won't let me sell it! Other wize I would be sorely tempted to sell it then jack work in.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:19 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Simon C
Cos I'm doing my role, I'm also doing the role they wont give me part time (covering holiday or work overload), I also do 2 weeks out of 4 on call, have no life because of this (10 mins response time). Generally so fecked off that I really don't want to be in the office.
You didn't say you were covering the new job as well as doing your current one.

They're taking the **** (how it appears from here) - look for a new job time if I were you.

But take the advice of mentioning how you feel to your boss first - but by the sounds of it you'll get nowhere .
Old 15 November 2010, 04:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
But it is the decision of his manger surely - his job is to protect the business.
OK - yes, he doesn't need the managers decision to apply, but I bet you his manager will have a big say in whether he gets said role or not.
You can't discourage someone from trying to better themselves. Sure his existing manager will act as a reference to the new manager and there is nothing to say that he/she won't give negative feedback, but then that could be seen as a reflection of his managerial/team leadership skill. The ultimate decision lies with the new manager of whether to take him on or not. The only meaningful interaction between the existing manager and the new manager should be the official start date of the new role and the hand over period for the replacement.

Good luck Simon, hope it works out for you.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

JonC, its the same over all manager. I'll just loose my current team leader.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

1. You love the company you work for.
2. You like their management style.
3. You feel you are in need of a new challenge...........
Old 15 November 2010, 05:05 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
JonC, its the same over all manager. I'll just loose my current team leader.
That may not necessarily be an issue, though there is a chance that could be a "blur" between what you currently do and what the new role entails. But it also means that could be even easier to and quicker to move to your new role. You just need to concentrate on selling yourself and what you can bring to this new role. As he is the same manager, he/she should be fully aware of what you do and how hard you work. At the end of the day, it may sound cliched, but work life balance is very important, go for it, what have you got to loose other than showing the manager that you are keen and willing to better yourself and showing initiative and ambition.
Old 15 November 2010, 05:22 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Simon... Simon Clarks.... is that you?
Old 15 November 2010, 08:11 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

No DCI, thats not me.
Old 16 November 2010, 10:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
You can't discourage someone from trying to better themselves. Sure his existing manager will act as a reference to the new manager and there is nothing to say that he/she won't give negative feedback, but then that could be seen as a reflection of his managerial/team leadership skill. The ultimate decision lies with the new manager of whether to take him on or not. The only meaningful interaction between the existing manager and the new manager should be the official start date of the new role and the hand over period for the replacement.

Good luck Simon, hope it works out for you.
Whilst I tend to agree, thats not how it works in the real world though.
Old 16 November 2010, 11:04 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by urban
Whilst I tend to agree, thats not how it works in the real world though.
Indeed - poor management is the main reason good people go elsewhere.

Which is what Simon will need to do !
Old 16 November 2010, 11:22 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

What ever you do you will have to find another job to have as a back up plan.