Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Golf - where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2010, 10:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Golf - where to start?

I know Golf is a sport but can we leave this in here for a bit because Sports is dead.

Anyway, my 8 year old daughter really enjoyed having golf lessons over the summer hols and I was given a couple of clubs ages ago and we've been hoofing the ***** about on the local playing fields.

The lad that gave the lessons will give me and my daugther lessons but I'm not sure where to start with regards to geting some clubs for me. Daughter has been given a set that fit her quite well. I'm also left handed but having only right handed clubs I've just used RH clubs. Not sure if it will make any difference.

Quite fancy gold because its going to get me some excersise without being too hard on the old cardio
Old 11 September 2010, 10:37 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local golf club pro shop is your first port of call. Tell them what you want to achieve, your budget, and follow their advice.
Old 11 September 2010, 11:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to enjoy hiring some clubs in America and going out with my crew for a round. Wasn't much good but it was a good laugh, we all had a good time. Pretty expensive sport to take up over here by the look of it.

Les
Old 11 September 2010, 11:09 AM
shamone
Scooby Regular

go to a big chain like american golf (or anywhere that has a driving bay) and they'll let you try both left and right handed sticks to see which suit you best, and go from there. local pro shop will probably give you better advice, but might not have as good a range of clubs or be able to compete with prices, but may have a second hand set available that will suit a beginner

starter sets nowadays are pretty damn good - my mate got a full set of fazer with bag for about £150 and they're as good as my 5 yr old lynx that would have been about £500 back then. i got mine 2nd hand for £100 off ebay (irons only) and invested in a decent putter and woods separately

as for lessons, it's money well spent to set you on your way - just a couple at first at your local range to get you on the right track. once you've played a while and are striking it well it's worth going back to sort out draw / fade from your stance and setup, and iron out any problems. youtube has a lot of tutorials, but NEVER as good as an experienced pro

Be prepared to be patient - it's not something that just works straight away and can be highly frustrating, especially when you start trying new things
Old 11 September 2010, 12:05 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Golf - where to start?

The first tee
Old 11 September 2010, 12:09 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a set of callaway 2nd hand Irons (x14 or x16 would be very affordable these days), a 3 or 5 wood, sandwedge and putter for starters. The rest will fall in place as your interest/knowledge in the game grows.
Callaway are the easiest clubs to hit as they play like oversized toys. Dont let that put you off, I played of a handicap of 6 with them before moving onto better players irons. I have Titleist AP2 irons now and love them.

Im a mod over on Golf-monthly's forum, register and introduce yourself matey, plenty of good guys and a couple of pros offering advice too, as well as rediculous amounts of usage of the word ****...go figure! haha

Last edited by brendy76; 11 September 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11 September 2010, 12:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You can get junior set for the kids and adult ones for around £100 ish inc trolley if you shop around TBH I wouldn't spend much more than that. To play pop to your local municipal as they are cheaper but not as strict (or as well maintained tbh) so if oyu hack away a bit you will be ok.

It may be worth having a block of lessons to at least give you some info on what to do and stand etc most clubs will have a pro who can teach you.

Enjoy.
Old 11 September 2010, 12:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

double post...if only I could think of something else to type.
Old 11 September 2010, 12:25 PM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

As above from Brendy76... I picked up a set of callaway X-14's for £130 a full set from American golf in amazing condition!. i'm only an armature handy cap but the clubs are soo forgiving and such an easy hit from any situation.

Get to a shop try a few out and the clubs will choose you lol. then go have some lessons and enjoy the major pain that is perfecting your swing... that or finding your little girl can out drive you haha