Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats the doc going on about?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2010, 08:38 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the doc going on about?

I went to the docs tonight to get the results of a heart test (where I got hooked up to a machine in the surgery by the nurse) that he decided to do cos I was getting palpitations a lot. He told me tonight I got something wrong with the electrical signals or something and that he wants to do a blood test.

He told me the scientific name was it something brady something block but I wasn't really taking it all in but he was going on about how it wasn't anything to worry about and said that good percentage of people can have this without knowing they have.

I don't wanna look anything on the Internet cos I am bound to get the wrong end of the stick and then start proper bricking it. Anyone on here been told something like this? or give me the lowdown on what this means?

Late 30s, don't smoke but could do with losing a few pounds and less enjoyment of a beverage or two.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Fabioso
Late 30s, don't smoke but could do with losing a few pounds and less enjoyment of a beverage or two.
I would be looking at that last bit, probably a change in lifestyle, healthier eating etc, but you need the doctor to explain it in laymans terms, thats the best explanation without people speculating and giving you a heart attack

Tony
Old 26 August 2010, 09:19 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the docs tonight to get the results of a heart test (where I got hooked up to a machine in the surgery by the nurse) that he decided to do cos I was getting palpitations a lot. He told me tonight I got something wrong with the electrical signals or something and that he wants to do a blood test.

He told me the scientific name was it something brady something block but I wasn't really taking it all in but he was going on about how it wasn't anything to worry about and said that good percentage of people can have this without knowing they have.

I don't wanna look anything on the Internet cos I am bound to get the wrong end of the stick and then start proper bricking it. Anyone on here been told something like this? or give me the lowdown on what this means?

Dude you are going to have to be a bit more specific about what's going on, including what blood test you think you're having to get decent advice. Otherwise you'll just get all and sundry talking nonsense.

I'm not being funny mate but you should pay a bit more attention to what your doctor says, it's your life after all
Old 26 August 2010, 09:21 PM
sti kev
Scooby Newbie

Hi Fabioso
I too have a dodgey ticker Im going to the heart hospital in London tomorrow funny enough which is a long way from west wales. Regarding information on the heart we were advised to just use the British heart foundation site. Good luck
Old 26 August 2010, 10:58 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best not to panic and look at the internet...

the reason why he is doing a blood test is that some hormone problems (like extra thyroxine) can cause palpitations. Bradycardia just means a slow heart rate and the block word relates to an electrical pathway in the heart which might be blocked which is very common.

If the doc was worried you would be in a cardiac ward as I type !!

Shaun
Old 26 August 2010, 11:37 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I have been recently diagnosed with hypertension, which apparently for my age & lifestyle is 'worrying' - 31 and don't smoke or drink or do non- prescribed drugs!!

I have had a high blood pressure reading for a while, but never really thought much about it. My GP commented on it, and referred me. After a whole host of different tests, inc bloods, ECG, EKG 24 hr blood pressure, MRI's and ultrasounds. My 24hr blood pressure readings came back that both my day & night results were high, but the night ones were.. bad! I am now on statins and blood pressure meds as according to my cardiologist i have ' a very real problem' but being on the meds and being caught 'early' is good.

What i am trying to say is don't worry too much until you know what is going on. At least they have got you being tested etc, so can sort you out

Last edited by little-ginge; 26 August 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 26 August 2010, 11:42 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the replies!! I tried to understand exactly what he was saying but my mind was "doing a circuit on its own" so to speak

Its good to get the input from you guys, I feel a lot better having read these posts, thanks
Old 27 August 2010, 08:09 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the replies!! I tried to understand exactly what he was saying but my mind was "doing a circuit on its own" so to speak

Its good to get the input from you guys, I feel a lot better having read these posts, thanks
I do know what you mean, my better half comes to the docs or cardiologist with me as i never remember, it is stupid i know and i ought to but i do not.

Ask the doc to write it down next time. I am being tested for something similar/same shortly as my heart problem seems to have developed a new symptom or usually the surgery will have leaflets on heart and other problems and they help explain stuff. Have you been referred to a cardiologist???

Good luck
Old 27 August 2010, 09:24 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Fabioso........give the doc a ring and ask for a telephone appointment for him to explain. Although Midlife has put it fairly succinctly.
Old 27 August 2010, 02:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As Midlife says, you need not worry unduly. I am no expert but I have heard that many people do get the odd palpitation for one reason or another and it is not necessarily an indication of any kind of significant failure. The test you had would have shown anything serious at the time and that is why he is not that concerned about it.

Les