Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

career advice

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2010, 10:26 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default career advice

Well its that time, Redundancy is just around the corner, I've been wondering which route to go down but as we have no idea as to the redundancy offer we'll be getting this is difficult

My brother took a plumbing course, but to be honest there doesnt seem to be much work around, it looks like everyone has jumped on the plumbing bandwagon

My other brother started tiling but not much call for that either, he has now started driving a taxi, and tbh this didnt sound too bad, but he was paying nearly £900 a month to hire the car but is still making a wage too, so my thinking was if I purchased my own car then the £900 would be mine to keep (minus insurance etc) but after looking into it, if you want to register a car for hackney carriage then it must be less than a year old with disabled access, this would be outta my price range unless they amaze us all with a decent redundancy offer I could do private hire as the car can be up to four years old and doesnt need disabled access but then I'm relying on calls for my earnings and still paying a percentage to the company i register with

There is a government scheme for people facing redundancy for retraining atm, which is, if you are made redundant then they will fund you getting your HGV licence gonna look further into this A friends wife works in a job centre and has said drivers are always in demand

I know we have lorry drivers on here so was after any advice they had, pros cons etc.

well any info really

Cheers Darb
Old 16 June 2010, 09:07 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Driving instructor http://www.theaa.com/driving-school/...h-ds-train.jsp
Old 16 June 2010, 09:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What do they mean by disabled access. How far does that requirement have to go?

Les
Old 16 June 2010, 11:30 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
AVOID!
Old 16 June 2010, 11:42 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARB
Well its that time, Redundancy is just around the corner, I've been wondering which route to go down but as we have no idea as to the redundancy offer we'll be getting this is difficult

My brother took a plumbing course, but to be honest there doesnt seem to be much work around, it looks like everyone has jumped on the plumbing bandwagon

My other brother started tiling but not much call for that either, he has now started driving a taxi, and tbh this didnt sound too bad, but he was paying nearly £900 a month to hire the car but is still making a wage too, so my thinking was if I purchased my own car then the £900 would be mine to keep (minus insurance etc) but after looking into it, if you want to register a car for hackney carriage then it must be less than a year old with disabled access, this would be outta my price range unless they amaze us all with a decent redundancy offer I could do private hire as the car can be up to four years old and doesnt need disabled access but then I'm relying on calls for my earnings and still paying a percentage to the company i register with

There is a government scheme for people facing redundancy for retraining atm, which is, if you are made redundant then they will fund you getting your HGV licence gonna look further into this A friends wife works in a job centre and has said drivers are always in demand

I know we have lorry drivers on here so was after any advice they had, pros cons etc.

well any info really

Cheers Darb
what job are you in at the moment
Old 16 June 2010, 07:54 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

hi mate,

re trucking,

jobs are few and far between if you've got experience, fewer an further if you havn't. wages have taken a hit aswell. but as with alot of things it depends on your area, go knocking on doors to see if they'll take people with no exp, ask about going out with a driver for the day to see if its for you.

as they've just made it harder an more expensive (driver cpc) to get a license, use it and keep using it, then maybe that'll push wages up a little as very casual drivers wont renew and maybe less people will take it up, but that'll be 4 / 5 years off, with alot of maybe's!

stevie
Old 16 June 2010, 08:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
AVOID!

I agree.

I looked into this a few years ago. There are so many driving instructors around now that it would be difficult to earn a decent wage from it.

And as for guaranteed work via an established company, ie AA etc, just take a look at their membership rates.

To work for them and make anywhere near the same wage I was on, I'd have to have 8 hours worth of lessons a day (which doesn't include the time to get from one lesson to another) 7 days a week.

Minus their membership fee, fuel etc, it just didn't add up.

One of my mates wife went for this a couple years ago. Trained and passed, and started up on her own. She honestly wishes she hadn't bothered.
Old 16 June 2010, 08:13 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Have you got family? Go to uni/college if not. You should just have time if you apply now.
Old 17 June 2010, 01:38 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Seeing as you're Mansfield based, I recommend becoming a criminal lawyer.

You'll be inundated with work!
Old 19 June 2010, 10:01 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

This seems to be like plumbing mate, everyone jumping on it

Originally Posted by Leslie
What do they mean by disabled access. How far does that requirement have to go?

Les
I'm not quite sure TBH I'm going to make an appointment and get the info I need

what job are you in at the moment
I currently work for Toyota at Derby, so if anyone has an Avensis with a leaky roof thats my fault

Originally Posted by stevie boy
hi mate,

re trucking,

jobs are few and far between if you've got experience, fewer an further if you havn't. wages have taken a hit aswell. but as with alot of things it depends on your area, go knocking on doors to see if they'll take people with no exp, ask about going out with a driver for the day to see if its for you.

as they've just made it harder an more expensive (driver cpc) to get a license, use it and keep using it, then maybe that'll push wages up a little as very casual drivers wont renew and maybe less people will take it up, but that'll be 4 / 5 years off, with alot of maybe's!

stevie
cheers mate some good info/advice there

Originally Posted by tathan
Have you got family? Go to uni/college if not. You should just have time if you apply now.

Family, mortgage, etc so not really an option

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Seeing as you're Mansfield based, I recommend becoming a criminal lawyer.

You'll be inundated with work!

That would make a nice change from paying one
Old 19 June 2010, 10:13 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

If the government are putting recently redundant people through the HGV testing, it would be foolish to overlook it. Another string to your bow and all that.
Old 19 June 2010, 10:19 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

In the same boat, Legal aid is getting cut so my work is going to be less. I am thinking about getting into property management.
I feel your pain!!
Old 19 June 2010, 10:29 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
If the government are putting recently redundant people through the HGV testing, it would be foolish to overlook it. Another string to your bow and all that.
Apparently it's not as good as it sounds, they won't even look at it until the day you're made redundant and the process can take three months ( they offer the business out to local companies and the best price gets the work ) and if you get work to help with the bills while you're waiting then they can cancel your application so waiting three months and paying the mortgage, bills during this time would be more expensive than just paying for it myself
Old 19 June 2010, 10:50 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I currently work for Toyota at Derby, so if anyone has an Avensis with a leaky roof thats my fault
Crickey, is it that bad? My BiL has worked in the paint spraying dept since the place opened and he's never mentioned it being that bad. I know he's had some hours cut and some unpaid holidays, he even took a part time job.
Old 19 June 2010, 10:54 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
Crickey, is it that bad? My BiL has worked in the paint spraying dept since the place opened and he's never mentioned it being that bad. I know he's had some hours cut and some unpaid holidays, he even took a part time job.
At the last count they needed 750 job losses, but things have changed and it could be more, we should know more in a few weeks
Old 19 June 2010, 11:03 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you are seriously thinking about driving then I would get your CPC and your cat C and keep it "in the bank". When the CPC kicks in there is going to be a large shortage of drivers and I can see it being an in demand job. A lot of drivers are very anti-legislation and for that fact a lot of them will just refuse to do it and pack it in. I know a few. Thus, you can be there ready to jump into the job if needed. Rates for C1 are about £6-7hr at the moment, C is about £8-£10hr and C+E is about £10-12hr.

I can see those rates going up by a couple of pounds an hour.

I reckon pro C+E drivers will be £30k+ basic come another few years.
Old 19 June 2010, 11:25 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

At the last count they needed 750 job losses, but things have changed and it could be more, we should know more in a few weeks
My niece (his daughter) is coming on hols to Spain with us next week, no wonder he was a bit concerned about the cost.
Have they set a criteria? How long have you worked there and what's your role?
Sometime your best to get out with first wave of redundances whilst there's still a few other jobs about.
I really hope something works out for you I know he will be devastated as he's been through redundancy before being an ex miner.
Old 19 June 2010, 03:58 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Its a voluntary package so if he wants to stay he wont be forced out

I believe that what was a secure well paid job is not any longer, I'm earning approx 6k less a year than I was 4/5 years ago

I have also had a few health issues and they frown on this very much so I thought it wise to get out with a bit of cash rather than stay and get pushed later with nowt

he'll be fine if he wants to stay but I think it will be a long time before it gets anywhere near the place it used to be