Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do things " Get lost in the Post "?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2010, 08:23 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do things " Get lost in the Post "?

As the heading really. My son posted a birthday card to his sister some 3 weeks ago, just an ordinary sized card, clear and correct address, correct postage. She is still waiting for it to arrive ! How/where in the RM system can a card be 'lost' ?
No , he didn't get roof of posting (why should he!) just popped it in the postbox on the way to work expecting it to be delivered in a day or so.
Not after compensation or anything like that but I am curious as to where it could be.

Cheers

JBL
Old 07 April 2010, 08:30 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

The post office staff assume cards have money so steal them.
Old 07 April 2010, 09:39 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

That's dreadful, are you really serious ?

JBL
Old 07 April 2010, 09:42 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife is a postal decoy and the company who sends her the stuff have lost too much mail for it to be an accident
Old 07 April 2010, 09:44 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

It does happen, if you look at the figures of post that goes missing every day, it cant all be eaten by the letter monster. There are posties or whatever their names are with the worlds most diverse CD collections!
Old 08 April 2010, 09:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That is very bad! They are in a position of trust!

Les
Old 08 April 2010, 09:23 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
That is very bad! They are in a position of trust!

Les
http://www.northumberlandgazette.co....ail.4343419.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/6995715.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...EVERY-DAY.html

The last one is from the Mail, so should be taken with a pinch of salt, but you get the idea.....
Old 08 April 2010, 09:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Just had another weeks worth of daily return paperwork for the car wash lost, including 5 vouchers that had been brought in, the nice lady at head office has rung me up twice so far this year asking me to resend the details in as they are having a hell of a time with peoples paperwork not turning up.

Around 2 years back i changed post box assuming that it would be kids messing with an external post box, the new one is inside an Asda store, it has made no difference.

They are posted every single week, and have been posted for the past 6 years, you would be surprised how many never turn up.

Its not so bad if its just daily return paperwork as i keep copies anyway, but the used vouchers are irreplaceable, worthless to anybody except me/head office.

Royal Fail = just as crap as usual
Old 08 April 2010, 09:55 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Well this is something that annoys me, I have had a rather large item go missing just two weeks ago.

I am not sure if anyone here knows those cases that kids have called Trunki's? (they were on dragons den a while back).

Well my mum kindly bought one off ebay for my son, some special limited edition one that is no longer made. However on it's travels from a-b it vanished! It's a ruddy great big thing in a box, and I fail to believe that it 'just' got lost.

Anyhow, paypal have refunded my mum, yet the mardy cow who posted it is down by £40 as she has no proof of postage, and no proof that she ever bought it. So, paypal have refused point blank that she ever owned it! lol.

Now, my problem is that I loved this stupid little case, and being limited edition in 2007 I can't get another one! He now has a bumble bee one though, thanks to grandma.

This was 2 weeks ago now, but I feel like ringin up the sorting office and playing holy hell!
Old 08 April 2010, 09:55 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Well this is something that annoys me, I have had a rather large item go missing just two weeks ago.

I am not sure if anyone here knows those cases that kids have called Trunki's? (they were on dragons den a while back).

Well my mum kindly bought one off ebay for my son, some special limited edition one that is no longer made. However on it's travels from a-b it vanished! It's a ruddy great big thing in a box, and I fail to believe that it 'just' got lost.

Anyhow, paypal have refunded my mum, yet the mardy cow who posted it is down by £40 as she has no proof of postage, and no proof that she ever bought it. So, paypal have refused point blank that she ever owned it! lol.

Now, my problem is that I loved this stupid little case, and being limited edition in 2007 I can't get another one! He now has a bumble bee one though, thanks to grandma.

This was 2 weeks ago now, but I feel like ringin up the sorting office and playing holy hell!
Old 08 April 2010, 10:07 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

OK Lads lets try and sort this out, Yes I am a postie and no I am no thief, lets get that out of the way, Their maybe a number of reasons why you card has not arrived, 1, as you say the correct postage was put on, but did the Item have a stick on, ie, a badge of anysort on the front because if it did it would be hand sorted and MAY have a surcharge on it because it has had to be manully handled, 2, A lot of Items get stuck in the bottom of the bags and are not found for weeks or maybe months we are told to turn our bags inside out to make sure no items have got stuck in the bottom of the bag. 3, Items sometimes fall off the sorting machine line and if the guy can be arsed to bend down and pick it up he will, sometimes they can lay their for days before someon picks it up.

I myself have sent a cheque to my neice down in Kent for her birthday and like you it has not arrived, Yes sadly we do have light fingered people in the buissness but trust me If I had any doubt about any of my collegues I would be on to the Invesigation branch immediately.
Cheers
Colin
Old 08 April 2010, 10:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is still disturbing that there are people who are prepared to steal the post!

Les
Old 08 April 2010, 10:27 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Stealing is the most common reason according to the watchdog programmes i watched sometime ago. This mainly happens in the sorting dept where guys with some 'ugly' sized letters have to manaully sort them, therefore ends up 'un-automated' so postal tracking can be lost. Cards are often robbed for brass as mentioned previously. However according to watchdog letters go through a sorter which can if not working correct slit the envelope and its contents cleanly in half. I can vouch for that, Ive had letters that are slit and re-bagged with Royalmail proof of re-bagging stamp approval.

On a seperate note, I recall when i was a nipper I was told i was sent a card with £5.00 in it for my birthday (25 years ago or so). I never received it.... after my uncle phoning royal mail and grilling my cousin about the address etc, it turned out he never sent the card and spent the cash on himself........ hence not lost....
Old 08 April 2010, 12:37 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

I did a software development job for Parcel Force a few years ago and used to regularly have dinner with their visiting bosses. I heard some amazing stories about what happened at their hubs with parcels or content going "missing". They took the problem very seriously, but thefts do happen and when it is known that a company is having a promotion and sending out something of value they need to be extremely vigilant. Can't say much more but it was a problem they were aware of and were doing their best to fix, but at busy times when there was a lot of temporary staff their problems escalated. As usual it was a small minority who brought everyone under suspicion.

Last edited by Pjamie; 08 April 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08 April 2010, 12:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a letter etc go missing and partly i think its because i've had the same postman for the past 5years! He's a great guy, very friendly!
Old 08 April 2010, 01:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
OK Lads lets try and sort this out, Yes I am a postie and no I am no thief, lets get that out of the way, Their maybe a number of reasons why you card has not arrived, 1, as you say the correct postage was put on, but did the Item have a stick on, ie, a badge of anysort on the front because if it did it would be hand sorted and MAY have a surcharge on it because it has had to be manully handled, 2, A lot of Items get stuck in the bottom of the bags and are not found for weeks or maybe months we are told to turn our bags inside out to make sure no items have got stuck in the bottom of the bag. 3, Items sometimes fall off the sorting machine line and if the guy can be arsed to bend down and pick it up he will, sometimes they can lay their for days before someon picks it up.

I myself have sent a cheque to my neice down in Kent for her birthday and like you it has not arrived, Yes sadly we do have light fingered people in the buissness but trust me If I had any doubt about any of my collegues I would be on to the Invesigation branch immediately.
Cheers
Colin
Colin, just because youre honest and decent doesnt mean that all other postmen are; does it? Cards, CDs & DVDs and anything else that looks tatsy is far less likely to arrive: empirical evidence supports this. On the other hand - council tax bills never go missing. Im aware of many 'lost' desirable items but Ive never ever missed a council tax bill / phone bill /electricity bill / gas bill.

Even the state realised that many sub-Saharan Africans had joined the postal service just to steal passports - hence the change in delivery method now. In London a few years ago there were more being 'lost' then arriving with their rightful owners.
Old 08 April 2010, 01:05 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Well they employ dope smokers and lazy students in the main. no wonder stuff doesn't arrive.
Old 08 April 2010, 01:10 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Never had a letter etc go missing and partly i think its because i've had the same postman for the past 5years! He's a great guy, very friendly!
This issue of post going missing will almost certainly be prior to your postie getting anywhere near it. The main sorting offices will be where the issues start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8nxaX_9t1U
Old 08 April 2010, 02:57 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I love it when the SN posties join these threads and try and defend themselves, the fact is that the vast majority of people on SN think RM is utter ****e.

Still not received a PS2 game i ordered a long time ago from Play.com
Old 08 April 2010, 03:10 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Have you seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KspWg...eature=related
Old 08 April 2010, 05:05 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Iknew a lad that was a postie, he ended up doing time for thieving credit cards, cash and other valubles.

On the other hand the dad-in-law was a postie all of his life and a more honest man you will not meet, god bless him.

There are good and bad in all occupations.
Old 08 April 2010, 05:07 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Iknew a lad that was a postie, he ended up doing time for thieving credit cards, cash and other valubles.

On the other hand the dad-in-law was a postie all of his life and a more honest man you will not meet, god bless him.

There are good and bad in all occupations.
Indeed there are...........
Old 08 April 2010, 08:58 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Pjamie
As usual it was a small minority who brought everyone under suspicion.
Don't start having a pop at the minorities PJ you RACIST
Old 08 April 2010, 09:31 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I love it when the SN posties join these threads and try and defend themselves, the fact is that the vast majority of people on SN think RM is utter ****e.

Still not received a PS2 game i ordered a long time ago from Play.com

Sticky Micky,
So you not receiving your PS2 game makes you think that all posties are on the thief? And yes I came on here to defend myself and to offer an explanation onto how some mail goes missing, if you think Royal mail are utter ****e, Go and get yourself a courier and see how much that will cost you over a 12 month period compared to Royal Mail, If you think your postie is on the thief, go and speak to the office manager or ring 08457 740 740.
Cheers
Colin
Old 08 April 2010, 09:41 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for the comments and insights into the postal service. I suppose that we would all like certain occupations to be totally honest and trustworthy but that would not be real life I expect. Colin, thank you for the insider view, very good of you to stick your neck out.

Cheers

JBL