Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Petrol theives !

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2010, 01:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Petrol theives !

Now I dont know if this is something that happens a lot normally but last night my brothers wife's car had a little hole drilled into it's fuel tank and the fuel drained out and stolen, it's only an Astra and I dont think it had more than a few gallons it but now he has a bill for £300 or so to replace the tank. I can only think that the stratospheric price of fuel is causing scum to look at new and inventive methods to get it.

Its made me really angry this, you get screwed by the government when you buy the stuff and then some scumbag pikey ruins your tank for a measly few litres, never mind the fact his wife is a nurse at a childrens hospital and missed her shift because of this (lives Manchester, works Liverpool).

So, cant do much but warn you that this is a possibility, try and park to make it difficult, have security lights trained around your motor or put it in the garage if you have one.

Possibly an opportunity for someone to produce some product to make this more difficult.
Old 02 April 2010, 01:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, likely to see more and more of this sort of crime.

FWIW you can but a product that will seal the hole - google petro patch or similar - like a squidgy metalilic substance (little like bluetac to look at you mix the two parts together to activate it) designed for just this sort of thing. I have successfully used it before
Old 02 April 2010, 01:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Now I dont know if this is something that happens a lot normally but last night my brothers wife's car had a little hole drilled into it's fuel tank and the fuel drained out and stolen, it's only an Astra and I dont think it had more than a few gallons it but now he has a bill for £300 or so to replace the tank. I can only think that the stratospheric price of fuel is causing scum to look at new and inventive methods to get it.

Its made me really angry this, you get screwed by the government when you buy the stuff and then some scumbag pikey ruins your tank for a measly few litres, never mind the fact his wife is a nurse at a childrens hospital and missed her shift because of this (lives Manchester, works Liverpool).

So, cant do much but warn you that this is a possibility, try and park to make it difficult, have security lights trained around your motor or put it in the garage if you have one.

Possibly an opportunity for someone to produce some product to make this more difficult.
This sort of thing was widespread during previous shortages or when prices were very high.

They had another device too. It was a horizontal tube with a vertical drilled spike. They would jack the spike into the bottom of the tank and drain the petrol into a can through the tube.

Another expensive repair bill!

Les
Old 02 April 2010, 01:57 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Nightmare
The pikeys where always doing it to the truck drivers locally who I used to know. One truck driver I knew had a chisel stabbed through a 400litre tank on his truck and lost about 150 litres to the thieves plus he had to fork out for a new tank. Thieving sh*ts should be shot IMO. Hope she gets it sorted soon & that it doesn't happen again.
Old 02 April 2010, 01:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

http://www.car-spot.co.uk/item/50788...le+Petro+Patch
Old 02 April 2010, 01:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul, will ring him !
Old 02 April 2010, 01:59 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Don't know where you are based,but in the Birmingham area,the local news was reporting a spate of petrol thefts where the tanks were drilled.
Apparently,most modern cars have anti-syphoning technology hence the drilling of the tanks-barstewards
Old 02 April 2010, 02:13 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

MAD MAX! It has started!
Old 02 April 2010, 02:25 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

There's a couple of very small villages around me and there's been a spate of fuel thefts there.
Tanks drilled and all the cars affected were on driveways.

It's beyond Thunderdome...
Old 02 April 2010, 06:15 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

one can only hope a drill spark ignites the scum bags, i'd live with the car claim knowing he wont be doing it again
Old 02 April 2010, 06:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My xsara was done like this few years ago , left in a car park over night , wont be doing tha again, went in thro the filler breaking it and then witha screwdriver thro the plastic tank at the bottom.

Dont know if theyd got thro a metal one , anyaway 600 quid later
Old 02 April 2010, 06:34 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

wat the hell do they do with the stolen petrol? personal use? surely nobody would buy it! makes my blood boil!
Old 02 April 2010, 06:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

In the good old days, you just needed to cut the plastic fuel lines on an Astra and pop a can under.... they did my next door neighbours car. Should put it in the garage.

dunx