Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Football trainers with shin splints

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2010, 12:47 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Football trainers with shin splints

I play football indoor on a wooden floor a couple of nights a week. I used to wear running trainers and didn't have a problem except I found them a bit clumpy when kicking the ball. I decided to buy a pair of Adidas Sambas and I play miles better. The only problem is i am getting shin splints and I think it's because the Sambas don't have much bounce. Can anyone recommend a decent trainer for playing indoor footy with that's not gonna knack my shins?
Old 25 February 2010, 01:40 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I haven't been able to run for a couple years now after suffering from Shin Splints.

I've had bad legs for years though. Bones ache, muscles get tight, Hamstrings get tight as hell, and knee joints ache too.

No matter how much stretching I do, some days I'm on pain killers just to be able to sit still.
Old 25 February 2010, 02:34 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

My wife was 'training' for the Race for Life, I thought I'd show support and do the traingin with her. I had to stop cause half way through it I was getting so much pain in my shins that the next day I could hardly walk (oddly enough, going down stairs was the worst!).
Went to see a physio and he said he'd never seen such tight hamstrings "thanks" I said thinking he was paying me a compliment
She finished the training by herself and now the closest I get to exercise is Wii Fit.
Back to the OP, the physio said whilst using the right trainers would help it wouldn't cure the problems I was having. He gave me a set of stretches to do before and after training but they didn't really help so I gave up.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 25 February 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 26 February 2010, 10:42 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I would suggest going to a proper sports footwear shop and getting advice, they can look at your running style etc to see whats best designed for you. I play indoor football too but on astroturf so i wear the indoor studded boots, with the very small rubber studs, these would be no good for you on a wooden floor though
Old 26 February 2010, 03:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Had them badly a month or so back. Pretty much gone now.

A combination of stopping running on the road, buying the proper footgear and doing better warm up and warm downs. Toe curl excercise is a goody.

Muscles have built up now and I can run on the road again without too much pain. Hang in there
Old 27 February 2010, 11:33 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I use my Astro Turf trainers for playing indoors. I feel they give decent support and like I say I use them for both Astro and indoor use.

Currently on Nike 90s.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:17 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i dont play any more but i found that running trainers hd the bounce, but the toe was soft so you couldnt leather it, and football trainers and now bounce in them, and i was concerned about my knees,

in the end i got sorbothane insoles in my footie trainers, and got the best of both worlds, NEW SORBOTHANE SORBO PRO INSOLE - SIZE 10 on eBay (end time 25-Mar-10 07:52:27 GMT)
Old 27 February 2010, 05:58 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Those insoles are great, I got them issued to me from the physio which is always nice.
Old 27 February 2010, 07:50 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I have been playing indoors for 3 years now and have tried a number of different shoes but these have been my favorite so far;
PUMA Online Shop - v1.08 Sala - Free Shipping
Very very light but you would need to put some sort of impact protection in if your getting shine splints
Old 27 February 2010, 08:06 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say that I got them for £37.50 from a Ebay shop! And they do blue if the red is a bit loud.
Old 28 February 2010, 10:29 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tbh last time I looked the options for indoor wooden floors i.e flat soled were pretty limited once you take Sambas out of the equation. Sambas for me are a bit lightweight and dont offer much protection to your feet.

I went for these:

adidas Adi5 X Mens - adidas - Brands - SportsDirect.com

A bit stiff for a few weeks but nicely worn in now. And they come in half sizes.

Edited to say these are of course astro turf trainers but I dont find any problems playing on wooden floors in terms of grip. I cant comment on shin splints either as never had them. Feckup up ankle ligaments / achilles and then we are talking. The joys of getting older.

Simon

Last edited by P1Fanatic; 28 February 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 28 February 2010, 11:52 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

As said above, see a physio it could be a case of having a leg longer than the other, it may sound funny, but it can be a cause. My shin splints were caused because I pronate which the physio said was very common but didn't effect everyone.
Old 28 February 2010, 03:27 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

These are the ones I'm wearing currently;

JD Sports - Nike T90 Shoot III TF

Very comfortable.