Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Indoor Cycle Trainers

Old 20 November 2000, 12:01 AM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any experiences?

I am considering buying an Indoor Trainer to supplement the lack of riding Hrs. available during the winter. I have seen the "Minoura" Rim Drive trainer in action which looked impresive and of course saves you having to replace your knobbly for a road tyre.

Any other MTB's about? I ride a Marin RiftZone FRS by the way with a few trick bits. Mainly enjoy rapid single track when the Sun is shining!

Not been out in 3 weeks and i'm feeling a bit like this fella.

Any help on stockists/prices etc. much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Old 20 November 2000, 07:59 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Akira,

Fellow Mountain Biker here

KHS Montana Pro - SID XC's, XTR Groupset, Hope bits n' bobs . I too enjoy the odd bit of singletrack, haven't been out much recently mind you - too much work on

As for your question, I dont personally use a "turbo trainer" but my dad uses a Tacx Excel which is pretty impressive - gives you a visual readout of Watts being produced, speed, rpm etc. It can also simulate hills (not that you'd be wanting that ), and you can programme in your own routes. All in all, pretty comprehensive, but similarly fairly pricey , there are more basic ones around but I'm not too farmiliar with them

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Kelvin

PS - where abouts are you from????? - if you're local we could maybe arrange a local ride sometime?????

[This message has been edited by kelvin (edited 20 November 2000).]
Old 20 November 2000, 11:13 PM
ChrisB

Can't help you on trainer mate, but (and that's a big but ) if....

a) I carry on dragging my *** down the gym over Christmas (any bets on that?), and
b) I buy a new stead

Then I might well be up for a ride or two next year.

Cheers,

Chris.

PS. Did you get my e-mail I sent last week?
Old 21 November 2000, 01:07 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

The Taxc Excel is quite expensive. I have used it and was not that impressed with the action. I have used the Cateye Cyclosimulator for years. This is an expensive piece of kit (£300) but the action is superb (very smooth) and it also has digital readouts to stop you being bored. If you just want a quiet smooth turbo trainer then go for the cycleops fluid. It is supposed to have a great action and is also very quiet. Go here for more info.
Old 21 November 2000, 01:11 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Found this in deja.com

Excellent article on just this subject in BICYCLING Magazine, Dec. 1999, pages 60-61.
They rate 10 trainers. I think you may be able to get the article at
Old 21 November 2000, 01:31 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Speaking as a ex-roadie - I used good ol' fashioned rollers - you need to concentrate so hard just to stay on them that the time passes really quickly.

Turbo training is terminally dull. My advice is - don't do it. Unless its blowing a hurricane or the snow prevents you opening the garage door.

Seriously, when I was competing, our (road) winter training consisted of a couple of hours on a Saturday, 4-5 hours steady on a Sunday and perhaps a session at Reading track in the week. Fit in a circuit training session too and that's the week sorted.

Not ridden much this year, but if anyone's local there's some seriously good riding (on and off road) in this neck of the woods.

Andrew
Old 21 November 2000, 04:35 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the help guys. I'm checking a few out this weekend which I hope will fit the bill.

ChrisB - Yeah I got your mail mate. Laughed read it again and Laughed a bit more. I have e-mailed Becky. We could have shared!

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 November 2000, 10:05 PM
ChrisB

Cool

Hmm, based on what Mr. Walker was telling me, sharing sounds fine mate!

I'll be generous - how about 70/30 in my favour?

<B>The Real</B> ChrisB. (lol)