Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sickening inhumanity

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2010, 02:02 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sickening inhumanity

In court today is the trial of the murder of Micheal Gilbert.

A man with the mental age of a young child who was not capable of looking after himself was held as a slave by a family. He suffered regular beatings and was burnt, punch and shot with an airgun for 'entertainment'. They filmed these attacks on their phones.

Eventually it went too far and he died so they chopped him up and dumped him in a lake.

The ability of men to inflict suffering is sometimes beyond comprehension. Fortunately it is very rare - but that it happens at all is still numbing to encounter.

Gilbert Trial
Old 23 February 2010, 02:06 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Hang them
Old 23 February 2010, 02:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That is a truly dreadful story. I hope that they are all charged with murder in court and that they get full life sentences without any kind of early release.

They really deserve to be strung up.

Les
Old 23 February 2010, 02:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

It ain't nice to think people in todays day & age want to inflict such cruelty on another human.

Another case for letting the punishment match the crime.
Old 23 February 2010, 02:54 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
It ain't nice to think people in todays day & age want to inflict such cruelty on another human.

Another case for letting the punishment match the crime.
I wouldn't even waste the publics money on this one. Leathal injection for all them, job done. Haven't got time for people as sick as that. How the hell would you go about rehabilitation? I'm sure they will probably be let off due to mental illness or something.
Old 23 February 2010, 03:10 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I wouldn't even waste the publics money on this one. Leathal injection for all them, job done. Haven't got time for people as sick as that. How the hell would you go about rehabilitation? I'm sure they will probably be let off due to mental illness or something.
Agreed! This is a deeply sickening story
Old 23 February 2010, 03:22 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I'm sure they will probably be let off due to mental illness or something.
To me this is a conundrum - whilst they must serve the maximum custodial sentence - surely to behave like this they MUST have some form of mental illness.

Last edited by Trout; 23 February 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 23 February 2010, 03:45 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trout
To me this is a conundrum - whilst they must serve the maximum custodial sentence - surely to behave like this they MUST have some form of mental illness.
Same to me - some criminal behaviour is so incomprehensible, that I just can't rationalise it on any level whatsoever.
Old 23 February 2010, 04:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Maybe I have lower expectations than you David.

Human beings have throughout time exhibited deplorable behaviour to their fellow humankind and to other species.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that "man" is capable of such attrocities. Animals are subject to such sickening attacks on an all too common basis.

"Man's inhumanity" is, often, somewhat of a paradox.
Old 23 February 2010, 04:21 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Same to me - some criminal behaviour is so incomprehensible, that I just can't rationalise it on any level whatsoever.
Just because we don't understand it, doesn't mean we should just file it under 'mental illness'. Believe it or not, there are some very, very evil people out there. None of whom can be rehabilitated, that's just the way it is. But does the government see this? My **** they do.

We can't keep fart arsing around spouting b*llocks about 'human right's'. Their rights became null and void when they chose their path.
Old 23 February 2010, 04:22 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

No mention of mental illness on the part of those accused, usually the 'get out of jail card' played by the brief in these situations.

I find it hard that anyone can commit or allow such acts to be committed and not be 'sick in the head' perhaps they are just violent sadists who enjoy inflicting pain and untimately death on other people.

Like this little princess: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8530035.stm

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 February 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 23 February 2010, 04:35 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I am not referring to the legal definition I am talking about the fact that they are, as you say, 'sick in the head'.
Old 23 February 2010, 04:39 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

How can they do that to their own brother/son
Old 23 February 2010, 05:06 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It's truly sickening. It makes me feel cold to know that I am bringing my children up in a world that has such evil people in it.

As much as people would love to fit them under the whole 'insane' label, I cannot see that from a statistical point of view, that all of these people were mentally ill.
The same can be said for them all being evil. It doesn't seem like it could be possible.

I can't see how this amount of people can be responsible for something like this and be as simple as they are insane or evil.

However they must on some level a combination of both.

They were probably all part of it on one level, but led by one person in particular.

It's disgusting how they have done it, and then thought they could get away with it.

These are the type of people who need to be used to make an example to others!
Old 23 February 2010, 06:05 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Hang them
As above
Old 23 February 2010, 09:00 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

WTF! 14yrs for murder ... out in 7 or is "the minimum" really the least she / they serve?

TX.

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Last edited by Terminator X; 23 February 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 23 February 2010, 09:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

"The remains of Mr Gilbert were then driven to a lake 14 miles (22.5 km) away and weighted down with heavy stones". Doesn't sound like the act of insane people to me ...

TX.
Old 24 February 2010, 02:28 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There is more coverage in The Times today.

It seems that Gilbert was kept in captivity for at least ten years. He managed to escape three times but somehow was always recaptured.

His 'torture' included having snooker ***** thrown at him, being forced to lie on the floor whilst people jumped onto his stomach with both feet. They had planned to charge people £5 to slap him or £25 to head butt. He was also punched, stabbed and shot.

It is unimaginable that this horror when on for so long. When he died his stomach was distended from his injuries and he had three stab wounds and multiple airgun pellets in his body.

Apart from being chopped up - his body had so many injuries they could not discern which specific injury killed him.

Old 24 February 2010, 05:32 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Just because we don't understand it, doesn't mean we should just file it under 'mental illness'. Believe it or not, there are some very, very evil people out there. None of whom can be rehabilitated, that's just the way it is. But does the government see this? My **** they do.

We can't keep fart arsing around spouting b*llocks about 'human right's'. Their rights became null and void when they chose their path.
Why have you quoted me in making your post?
I don't see any connection between what I have said and your "response".
Other than that - go for it!
Old 25 February 2010, 04:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Absolutely right!

Les