ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sickening inhumanity (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/818001-sickening-inhumanity.html)

Trout 23 February 2010 02:02 PM

Sickening inhumanity

In court today is the trial of the murder of Micheal Gilbert.

A man with the mental age of a young child who was not capable of looking after himself was held as a slave by a family. He suffered regular beatings and was burnt, punch and shot with an airgun for 'entertainment'. They filmed these attacks on their phones.

Eventually it went too far and he died so they chopped him up and dumped him in a lake.

The ability of men to inflict suffering is sometimes beyond comprehension. Fortunately it is very rare - but that it happens at all is still numbing to encounter.

Gilbert Trial

Xx-IAN-xX 23 February 2010 02:06 PM

Hang them:thumb:

Leslie 23 February 2010 02:37 PM

That is a truly dreadful story. I hope that they are all charged with murder in court and that they get full life sentences without any kind of early release.

They really deserve to be strung up.

Les :(

stilover 23 February 2010 02:50 PM

It ain't nice to think people in todays day & age want to inflict such cruelty on another human.

Another case for letting the punishment match the crime.

Gear Head 23 February 2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 9244056)
It ain't nice to think people in todays day & age want to inflict such cruelty on another human.

Another case for letting the punishment match the crime.

I wouldn't even waste the publics money on this one. Leathal injection for all them, job done. Haven't got time for people as sick as that. How the hell would you go about rehabilitation? :wonder: I'm sure they will probably be let off due to mental illness or something. :rolleyes:

mamoon2 23 February 2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 9244061)
I wouldn't even waste the publics money on this one. Leathal injection for all them, job done. Haven't got time for people as sick as that. How the hell would you go about rehabilitation? :wonder: I'm sure they will probably be let off due to mental illness or something. :rolleyes:

Agreed! This is a deeply sickening story

Trout 23 February 2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 9244061)
I'm sure they will probably be let off due to mental illness or something. :rolleyes:

To me this is a conundrum - whilst they must serve the maximum custodial sentence - surely to behave like this they MUST have some form of mental illness. :(

cster 23 February 2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9244121)
To me this is a conundrum - whilst they must serve the maximum custodial sentence - surely to behave like this they MUST have some form of mental illness. :(

Same to me - some criminal behaviour is so incomprehensible, that I just can't rationalise it on any level whatsoever.

Devildog 23 February 2010 04:16 PM

Maybe I have lower expectations than you David.

Human beings have throughout time exhibited deplorable behaviour to their fellow humankind and to other species.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that "man" is capable of such attrocities. Animals are subject to such sickening attacks on an all too common basis.

"Man's inhumanity" is, often, somewhat of a paradox.

Gear Head 23 February 2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9244177)
Same to me - some criminal behaviour is so incomprehensible, that I just can't rationalise it on any level whatsoever.

Just because we don't understand it, doesn't mean we should just file it under 'mental illness'. Believe it or not, there are some very, very evil people out there. None of whom can be rehabilitated, that's just the way it is. But does the government see this? My arse they do. :razz:

We can't keep fart arsing around spouting b*llocks about 'human right's'. Their rights became null and void when they chose their path.

The Zohan 23 February 2010 04:22 PM

No mention of mental illness on the part of those accused, usually the 'get out of jail card' played by the brief in these situations.

I find it hard that anyone can commit or allow such acts to be committed and not be 'sick in the head' perhaps they are just violent sadists who enjoy inflicting pain and untimately death on other people.

Like this little princess: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8530035.stm

Trout 23 February 2010 04:35 PM

I am not referring to the legal definition I am talking about the fact that they are, as you say, 'sick in the head'.

Lee247 23 February 2010 04:39 PM

How can they do that to their own brother/son :(

Hysteria1983 23 February 2010 05:06 PM

It's truly sickening. It makes me feel cold to know that I am bringing my children up in a world that has such evil people in it.

As much as people would love to fit them under the whole 'insane' label, I cannot see that from a statistical point of view, that all of these people were mentally ill.
The same can be said for them all being evil. It doesn't seem like it could be possible.

I can't see how this amount of people can be responsible for something like this and be as simple as they are insane or evil.

However they must on some level a combination of both.

They were probably all part of it on one level, but led by one person in particular.

It's disgusting how they have done it, and then thought they could get away with it.

These are the type of people who need to be used to make an example to others!

HT04 23 February 2010 05:11 PM

truely dreadfull.

dan

The Dogs B******s 23 February 2010 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX (Post 9243975)
Hang them:thumb:

As above

Terminator X 23 February 2010 09:00 PM

WTF! 14yrs for murder ... out in 7 :mad: or is "the minimum" really the least she / they serve?

TX.

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 9244269)

Terminator X 23 February 2010 09:05 PM

"The remains of Mr Gilbert were then driven to a lake 14 miles (22.5 km) away and weighted down with heavy stones". Doesn't sound like the act of insane people to me ...

TX.

Trout 24 February 2010 02:28 PM

There is more coverage in The Times today.

It seems that Gilbert was kept in captivity for at least ten years. He managed to escape three times but somehow was always recaptured.

His 'torture' included having snooker balls thrown at him, being forced to lie on the floor whilst people jumped onto his stomach with both feet. They had planned to charge people £5 to slap him or £25 to head butt. He was also punched, stabbed and shot.

It is unimaginable that this horror when on for so long. When he died his stomach was distended from his injuries and he had three stab wounds and multiple airgun pellets in his body.

Apart from being chopped up - his body had so many injuries they could not discern which specific injury killed him.

:( :(

cster 24 February 2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 9244265)
Just because we don't understand it, doesn't mean we should just file it under 'mental illness'. Believe it or not, there are some very, very evil people out there. None of whom can be rehabilitated, that's just the way it is. But does the government see this? My arse they do. :razz:

We can't keep fart arsing around spouting b*llocks about 'human right's'. Their rights became null and void when they chose their path.

Why have you quoted me in making your post?
I don't see any connection between what I have said and your "response".
Other than that - go for it!

Leslie 25 February 2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 9244265)

Absolutely right!

Les