Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got a Nokia N97? Read on...

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2010, 10:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Nokia N97? Read on...

Finally blew a fuse after the N97 dropped one business call too many via its freezing/awful reception. Took a lot of effort but Vodafone finally revealed that they do swap the N97 for a N97 mini which is reputed to work far better.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else is stuck in the same rut and the first line denial by the networks (that have almost all discontinued the 'flagship' phone a few months after launch anyway).

D
Old 08 February 2010, 09:49 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

get the new n900, you won't look back.

best nokia n series by far.
Old 08 February 2010, 10:57 PM
nicko13uk
Scooby Regular

Tried to get an N900 on upgrade from Vodafone today. The guy told me that they weren't giving Nseries phones as upgrades at the moment as they have been burnt too many times. Said that when they were happy with it, they would let me know so i could have one! Not sure why they think it's ok to sell to new customers though!

Might try again tomorrow and see if i get a different answer!
Old 09 February 2010, 10:25 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nicko13uk
Might try again tomorrow and see if i get a different answer!
There is NO DOUBT you will get a different answer. Pray for the Norn'iron call centre - they are so much better. Decide if you waste your breath based on the ringtone... God they make you cynical don't they!

Spent 2hrs building up the N97 mini last night. Two out of memory errors when searching for a contact and has been frozen from 0900 till 0930 today. NOT a good start.

D
Old 09 February 2010, 10:49 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nokia smartphones are rubbish. SE has gone the same way.

blackberry or iphone are the only sensible option IMO.
Old 09 February 2010, 11:01 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
There is NO DOUBT you will get a different answer. Pray for the Norn'iron call centre - they are so much better. Decide if you waste your breath based on the ringtone... God they make you cynical don't they!

Spent 2hrs building up the N97 mini last night. Two out of memory errors when searching for a contact and has been frozen from 0900 till 0930 today. NOT a good start.

D
I keep getting that when I try to open my inbox, I wonder if t-mobile will do the same? I'm already on my second handset after the first one packed up.
Old 09 February 2010, 11:19 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Why not try an iPhone? I held back but eventually got one and I must say its very usefull and very good.
Old 09 February 2010, 11:19 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nokia's smartphones must go through almost no beta testing because they rely on the initial users to do it for them.

Great on spec sheet - sheet in real life.

send it back and get a different make.
Old 09 February 2010, 11:29 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

This will be my last Nokia for a while, I had loads of trouble with the N96, thought that the N97 would be an improvement, it is but not by a lot.
Old 09 February 2010, 11:30 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smartphones.

I've tried several

However the currently Blackberry Curve 8900 beats every single smart phone i've ever had easily.

It's got cracking signal, makes calls, doesn't lock up lets me send/receive my emails together with attachments (word, excel, pdf is all I generally need to read)

Has never caused any grief or locked up when connecting to or connected with my kenwood KCA-BT200 in the car
Old 09 February 2010, 11:35 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

most of you are miss-informed nokia n series smartphones where rubbish when using the old symbian system.

the new n900 is lynux based with a 1gig processor and is much faster than any i phone out at the moment (don't get me wrong i wanted an iphone but refuse to pay for it) i'm very happy i went down this route rather than the i phone one.

have a look at the specs, like eveyone else i have hated the n series up to now due to all the problems. but this one is different it's not just a phone.

the fact the n900 does not use a mobile internet but proper mozilla firefox as the web browser (exactly the same as your pc) makes it a real winner for me.

you will get no help from vodafone over the phone (they tell all kinds of stories and have no stock) if you want to upgrade you need to either go via the web or a store (you can do the store option over the phone) and you will recieve delivery next day.

this is the only phone i have ever had from voda that has none of the stupid branding and everything is un-locked ie skype, wifi etc.

Last edited by TingTongPJ; 09 February 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09 February 2010, 12:00 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
most of you are miss-informed nokia n series smartphones where rubbish when using the old symbian system.

the new n900 is lynux based with a 1gig processor and is much faster than any i phone out at the moment (don't get me wrong i wanted an iphone but refuse to pay for it) i'm very happy i went down this route rather than the i phone one.

have a look at the specs, like eveyone else i have hated the n series up to now due to all the problems. but this one is different it's not just a phone.

the fact the n900 does not use a mobile internet but proper mozilla firefox as the web browser (exactly the same as your pc) makes it a real winner for me.

you will get no help from vodafone over the phone (they tell all kinds of stories and have no stock) if you want to upgrade you need to either go via the web or a store (you can do the store option over the phone) and you will recieve delivery next day.

this is the only phone i have ever had from voda that has none of the stupid branding and everything is un-locked ie skype, wifi etc.
Just got a call to say my N900 is waiting at home . Kept my N95 for years and loved it!

I've done plenty of reserach, and agree that it;s only a phone for techy's. WHich is why i got my GF an iphone. I'm looking forward ti getting into some real geek stuff

Got mine on o2, as an upgrade via Carphone Warehouse.

£30 a month with 600min, unlimited txtx, unlimited data (think this is 500mb in reality)

Last edited by Avi; 09 February 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09 February 2010, 01:35 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i have seen one on you tube running windows 7 and apple opp system.

you should be impressed if your a tecky.
Old 09 February 2010, 10:18 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi
Just got a call to say my N900 is waiting at home . Kept my N95 for years and loved it!

I've done plenty of reserach, and agree that it;s only a phone for techy's. WHich is why i got my GF an iphone. I'm looking forward ti getting into some real geek stuff

Got mine on o2, as an upgrade via Carphone Warehouse.

£30 a month with 600min, unlimited txtx, unlimited data (think this is 500mb in reality)
You got an N900 on O2 they don't list them on their website and in the O2 shop today they told me they aren't doing them also......
Old 09 February 2010, 10:38 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
You got an N900 on O2 they don't list them on their website and in the O2 shop today they told me they aren't doing them also......
Through carphone warehouse
Old 09 February 2010, 10:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well the brand new N97 Mini lasted a day after a 2 hour install/rebuild last night. Today it had the battery out 3 times for freezing and was out of memory 3 times not allowing any action. Facebook app only half worked and the e-mail client only downloaded basic headers in IMAP (so slow and clunky and ususable). Ohh and it was totally flat by 7pm (WLAN off, nothing else running...)

Nett tresult? Aye Phone 3Gs 16Gb en-route for no cost. Well done Norn'iron Vodafone...bottle of vodka and a gun off to Finland. How can Nokia kill their business with such pants products and their clients/end-users such pain?

I honestly haven't heard any mates who have them say anything bad about an Aye Phone - and I've asked 10 in the past week. Sheep here aye come!

D

Last edited by Diesel; 09 February 2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: more moaning
Old 12 February 2010, 07:14 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

well update 20.0.019 has just completley bolloxed up my N97. turns on and says there is is not enough memory in C drive and then sits there in safe mode doing nothing with a half loaded menu screen

just what i needed on a friday night.
Old 12 February 2010, 07:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am on my 7th nokia n96, the camera and wifi has stopped working on mine now. I might scream and shout for an upgrade
Old 12 February 2010, 09:41 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I am on my 7th nokia n96, the camera and wifi has stopped working on mine now. I might scream and shout for an upgrade
i had 13 n96's in as many days when they came out utter crap

see if you can get yourself a n900 you won't look back although they will probably try to give you a n97 mini which is just as bad as the n96.
Old 13 February 2010, 09:46 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SetoN
well update 20.0.019 has just completley bolloxed up my N97. turns on and says there is is not enough memory in C drive and then sits there in safe mode doing nothing with a half loaded menu screen

just what i needed on a friday night.
Get shot of it mate - after my post above the touchscreen stopped working (2 days in) so it was almost impossible to wipe my personal data off it before returning it - this was the b's parting shot!!! A hard reset didnt clear the E drive (this also proved that I had all my contacts and e mails on E but that it still froze due to 'out of memory' on a bare bones C drive -rubbish).

The aye phone is excellent - it just works, and very slickly too. Miss the keyboard, but not the stress! Its incredible how much better it works in the car on a Nokia hands free system even!

D
Old 13 February 2010, 09:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Much better alternatives out in the wild.