Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awesomeness!

RC SR-71 jet with real engines. [VIDEO]

SR-71 RC!
Old 24 January 2010, 11:54 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm stunned, that thing is just amazing. I thought that these type of planes were inherently unstable in flight and had to be controlled by on board computers.
Old 24 January 2010, 11:59 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Old 24 January 2010, 12:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

That is proper cool Jamie
Old 24 January 2010, 01:20 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Amazing. I watched all of that. Just brilliant!
Old 24 January 2010, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What an outstanding model, I used to do a lot of radio controlled model flying and that is very impressive all round.

I had a guided tour of one in Nebraska once. The fuselage is made of overlapping surfaces so that it can expand with the very high temperatures of supersonic flight. The fuel tanks always drip and I was warned not to get it on my uniform because it would get burned chemically. It was very special fuel to work at very high altitude.

The engines have a spike in the intake which moves automatically to align the shock wave correctly with the air intake. The aircrew told me that if it lost the alignment the engine would surge and stall and the sudden yaw due to loss of thrust would make your helmet bang the side of the canopy very hard! Bet that was a bit of a shock when that happened!

The tyres were a bit special to withstand the very high temperatures without bursting inside the wheel wells. They were silver coloured and apparently the surface layers used to strip off in use on the runway.

I don't know if it had computerised flight controls, but there is no reason that a slender delta would necessarily need them.

An amazing machine and a long way ahead of its time.

Les
Old 24 January 2010, 02:07 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That was a very impressive video.

Do you remember the massive B-52 model from a few years ago. YouTube - B-52 Stratofortress ModelIts a long video (9 mins) but he does a perfect landing at 7 minutes in.

Unfortunately, it crashed.
YouTube - Giant Scale B-52 R/C Plane Crash
Old 24 January 2010, 03:42 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I would love to have a read of Sleddriver but at over US$400 I dont think I will!

There is a couple of amusing stories from the book that are well published around the net...

Originally Posted by Blackbird pilot Brian Shul
“I’ll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my back-seater) and I were screaming across Southern California 13 miles high. We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace. Though they didn’t really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope.

I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its ground speed.”90 knots” Center replied. Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same. “120 knots,” Center answered.

We weren’t the only ones proud of our ground speed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, “Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests ground speed readout.” There was a slight pause, then the response, “525 knots on the ground, Dusty.” Another silent pause.

As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison. “Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?” There was a longer than normal pause…. “Aspen, I show 1,742 knots” (That’s about 2004.658 mph for people who don’t know)

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency.

Another funny story, although source unknown...

In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600 (60,000ft). The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, “How do you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?

The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, “We don’t plan to go up to it; we plan to go down to it.” He was cleared.
Old 24 January 2010, 03:44 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
I'm stunned, that thing is just amazing. I thought that these type of planes were inherently unstable in flight and had to be controlled by on board computers.
he's simplified the design of the wing. He's made it more conventional and as such, more controllable.This is the modelThis is the real thing:See the difference?astraboy.