Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

An idea to help the older folk

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2010, 11:51 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question An idea to help the older folk

SN is pretty good at casting a cynical comment on most things so tell me what is wrong with this idea. It's about helping older members of the community during the freeze. Up to 60,000 older folk could peg out as a result of the weather (more than a normal winter).

I live in a small town with say 2000 householders. I would be prepared to go and visit some old duck and and see if I could be of any practical help - usual stuff, a bit of shopping, checking the heating, sweeping the drive etc etc.

But I don't know where these people are or where to start. So I would propose that a local charity of repute, Help the Aged or Age Concern would be ideal, and they, perhaps in liaison with local FPCs, establish a list of possible folk at risk. I would then register with them and they could call us and ask for some help with someone on their list. To avoid the system being abused I would need to register, perhaps with my doctor approving me as a suitable helper. There might still be a few problems but still worth a go. Knowing some older folk I know they can resent "interference" but this is preferable to starving or dieing in the night.

I'd try and keep this away from local council as they would only find something to stop it. Did you know that local farmers were stopped using their tractors from clearing local roads and footpaths because they were using red diesel - that's how stupid the country is now.

So comments invited. dl
Old 10 January 2010, 11:57 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Very admirable, but I bet you would have to go through so many police checks and red tape, the winter would be over.

I live out in the sticks, with about 3 other houses dotted about. I usually ring my neighbours, if I am going shopping just in case they need anything.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:02 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure that as soon as you got involved with charities, they would then have to insist on a CRB check (or something like that) just like the council would, as they have all those sorts of rules in place too.

If you really wanted to get involved you could try your local church - they're full of oldies, but at the same time you might find that they will look out for each other as part of their community work, so you still might not reach the people most at risk.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:18 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

do scouts still do bob-a-job or is this deemed unsafe as well

helping out strangers is a big taboo in this country.

i just ask my neighbours if they need 'owt when i see them.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:19 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

There is some hope for humanity -- I saw on Freecycle that someone was offering to make bread (for free) and deliver it on foot for anyone old who couldn't get to the shops.

Steve
Old 10 January 2010, 12:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The trouble is I am bloody sick and tired of all these mostly stupid regulations. I genuinely think that someone in a new government should grab the nettle and cut through most of the crap. It's called bringing back common sense. The irony is that we are all fed up with the petty rules but are powerless to do anything. d
Old 10 January 2010, 12:21 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

There are those that 'just do it' and those that post on forums saying 'wouldn't it be good'.... but it's all too difficult, this is a case of the later.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:28 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by David Lock
The trouble is I am bloody sick and tired of all these mostly stupid regulations. I genuinely think that someone in a new government should grab the nettle and cut through most of the crap. It's called bringing back common sense. The irony is that we are all fed up with the petty rules but are powerless to do anything. d
Sorry this post is a bit off track but it refers to your comment.
My 15 year old daughter is wanting to study Childcare at 6th form College in September. She wants to be a Primary School Teacher.
You have no idea of the checks she has to have before she can attend. Even Police checks, at her age
And some of the questions she has had to answer beggars belief
Old 10 January 2010, 12:38 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I would be prepared to go and visit some old duck and and see if I could be of any practical help - usual stuff, a bit of shopping, checking the heating, sweeping the drive etc etc.
I can see an arrest on suspicion of distraction burglary coming up.

We had an old granny trying it on on Friday. She claimed someone had burgled her, stolen £500 from under her mattress. A few hours later, this figure had escalated to £1000 and after her family had been to visit the figure had magically crept up to £2000.

I'm not denying that she may have been burgled, I'm just slightly dubious that she forgot there was an extra £1500 under the same mattress.

I'd not want to leave myself open to allegations of this sort so I wouldn't actually go inside the houses. And I certainly wouldn't have anything to do with financial dealings such as drawing money for them.
Old 10 January 2010, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We look out for an elderly lady in town. She has all her marbles but needs a bit of help and encouragement at times. Its no pain since she is a very nice person and never expects things to be done for her. Mrs Leslie is very good at anything like that.

Les
Old 10 January 2010, 01:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
There are those that 'just do it' and those that post on forums saying 'wouldn't it be good'.... but it's all too difficult, this is a case of the later.
Ah - the armchair do-gooder Perhaps you are right.

But I hope it's a little more than that. I have been having some long chats with my sister who is actually in charge of these sorts of services up in the Manchester area. She in turn had been meeting with Age Concern but their were major difficulties and CRB checks looked like the minimum requirement to get things up and running. So part of my post was to seek views on how to get things moving. Seems fair enough to me anyway. d
Old 10 January 2010, 01:21 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Whilst regulation can be a pain in the **** - it is not too arduous for anyone who is genuine. The reason for tightening it up is clear, remember Ian Huntly!!!

Closer to home - there used to be a prominent member of Scoobynet - Stuary H - was his moniker I think...

From Times Online
January 8, 2010
Fake police officer and scammer Stuart Howatson jailed for 20 months

A parcel deliveryman who convinced his friends, families and even his wife that he was a Metropolitan Police officer was jailed for 20 months today.

Stuart Howatson, 31, was so confident of his impersonation that he gave a talk to schoolchildren about the work of the police while wearing a uniform partly bought on eBay and carrying a baton.

At his 2006 wedding, he told guests that Sir John Stevens, then Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, would be in attendance and set out a place for him at the dinner reception. When Sir John did not appear, Howatson claimed in his groom’s speech that the Commissioner was absent because of “security issues”.

When questioned by friends, Howatson claimed variously to be a firearms officer, a dog handler, a senior officer on sabbatical leave, and a protection officer for the Queen.
Related Links

* Kid Cop: child goes on patrol after duping police

* Two years in jail for fantasy James Bond

But the real Metropolitan Police became aware of his activities in 2008 after he offered to buy the £720,000 Spanish villa where he spent his honeymoon. He created false bank statements showing monthly deposits from “Met Police” and “MPA” as proof his sound finances while taking several free breaks at the £1,200-week villa.

After two years of bounced cheques and excuses, the owner of the villa, a friend of Howatson’s who was convinced he was being scammed by a genuine police officer, reported him to the Metropolitan Police’s Anti-Corruption Command.

A Met spokesman said the Command at first believed they were dealing with a corrupt police officer. “It was only when we looked into it further that it became apparent he was not a Met officer,” he said.

In October 2008 police raided his home in Bewdley, Worcestershire, and found “a substantial amount of uniform” – some genuine, some fake – as well as a laptop containing indecent footage of children.

The Met is still trying to trace how he obtained genuine police equipment.

Stephen Davies, prosecuting, described Howatson as “a Walter Mitty character” – a reference to meek fantasist from the James Thurber short story who imagines himself to be a fighter pilot and emergency room surgeon.

The Met spokesman said: “He was a guy with a fairly mundane life who wanted to convince the people around him that his life was more exciting that it actually was.”

In sentencing, Judge Hooper, QC described him as “a common trickster and a conman”.

Today he pleaded guilty to possession of articles of police uniform, false accounting, fraud by false representation and possession of and making indecent images of children. He also admitted a charge of possession of an offensive weapon for the baton he had brought to the nursery school.

Detective Inspector Claire Moxon, of the Metropolitan Police’s Directorate of Professional Standards, said: “Howatson went to great lengths to maintain a long-running deceit, taking advantage of the trust placed in him by the people around him.

“His behaviour has not only deeply affected his family and friends, but risked undermining the integrity and professionalism of genuine police officers everywhere.”
Old 10 January 2010, 01:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I live in a small town with say 2000 householders. I would be prepared to go and visit some old duck and and see if I could be of any practical help - usual stuff, a bit of shopping, checking the heating, sweeping the drive etc etc.

But I don't know where these people are or where to start. So I would propose that a local charity of repute, Help the Aged or Age Concern would be ideal, and they, perhaps in liaison with local FPCs, establish a list of possible folk at risk. I would then register with them and they could call us and ask for some help with someone on their list. To avoid the system being abused I would need to register, perhaps with my doctor approving me as a suitable helper. There might still be a few problems but still worth a go. Knowing some older folk I know they can resent "interference" but this is preferable to starving or dieing in the night.

I'd try and keep this away from local council as they would only find something to stop it. Did you know that local farmers were stopped using their tractors from clearing local roads and footpaths because they were using red diesel - that's how stupid the country is now.

So comments invited. dl
Just out of interest I am involved in a group that organises something called 'Basket Brigade' (Google it for more info).

It is only run at Christmas - but the group makes up a Christmas hamper and takes it out to needy families. No checks, no 'council' involvement.

Candidates are sourced through local NGOs such as the church and other community groups. Basically, three days before Christmas someone turns up on their doorstep with a huge hamper of food and a turkey.

Nothing to stop you doing something similar.

Otherwise sign up to Help the Aged as a volunteer, or head around your local church. I am sure they all welcome your help.
Old 10 January 2010, 01:26 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I'll bring some baps round to you later!
Old 10 January 2010, 01:33 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I spent 3 hours on boxing day morning clearing the ice and snow from the front of my mums sheltered housing complex so the old folk could go out and get to the shop , empty their bins etc. Ive also been getting some shopping for some of the elder residents who dont want to risk going out.

I've had loads of thanks from them and 2 thank you cards as well for helping these people out . Makes it worthwhile when you know its appreciated.

Chip
Old 10 January 2010, 02:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Sorry this post is a bit off track but it refers to your comment.
My 15 year old daughter is wanting to study Childcare at 6th form College in September. She wants to be a Primary School Teacher.
You have no idea of the checks she has to have before she can attend. Even Police checks, at her age
And some of the questions she has had to answer beggars belief
Oh yes I would!!! My daughter is learning to be a Speech & Language therapist and part of this means she goes to different Special Needs schools as well hospitals to help stroke victims, for example, learn to speak again. You can't get an overall clearance and so each place has it's own rules about checks required. A nightmare so I know what your girl is going through

d
Old 10 January 2010, 02:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

[quote=Trout;9147980]

Whilst regulation can be a pain in the **** - it is not too arduous for anyone who is genuine. The reason for tightening it up is clear, remember Ian Huntly!!!

quote]

But it's gone way, way too far IMHO.

Let's say I had been a part time kiddy fiddler for a long time. Chances are that I had never been caught. Now I can go and work with kids with a clean CRB check which actually reassures parents that I am a fit and proper person.

Agree about Huntley but wasn't that as much his employers fault for not taking up proper references? I can't remember now.

I remember the Stuart H saga but never knew the outcome.

d
Old 10 January 2010, 02:48 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

On the local news here a bunch of builders that couldn't work due to the inclement weather spent their time going door to door asking if people needed anything collecting, then went to the shops in their 4x4's and collected bread, milk and eggs etc.

Story broke, and local news documented it.

There were no CRB checks, no debates, they just did it..... this world is way to PC these days.
Old 10 January 2010, 02:49 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by oldsplice
I'll bring some baps round to you later!
I've seen the evidence that they're rather nice baps as well....
Old 10 January 2010, 02:52 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=David Lock;9148092]
Originally Posted by Trout

quote]

But it's gone way, way too far IMHO.

Let's say I had been a part time kiddy fiddler for a long time. Chances are that I had never been caught. Now I can go and work with kids with a clean CRB check which actually reassures parents that I am a fit and proper person.

Agree about Huntley but wasn't that as much his employers fault for not taking up proper references? I can't remember now.

I remember the Stuart H saga but never knew the outcome.

d
I believe that Huntly would have failed if references were taken - he had previous.
Old 10 January 2010, 03:28 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I've seen the evidence that they're rather nice baps as well....

Oh, you........!
Old 11 January 2010, 01:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Just out of interest I am involved in a group that organises something called 'Basket Brigade' (Google it for more info).

It is only run at Christmas - but the group makes up a Christmas hamper and takes it out to needy families. No checks, no 'council' involvement.

Candidates are sourced through local NGOs such as the church and other community groups. Basically, three days before Christmas someone turns up on their doorstep with a huge hamper of food and a turkey.

Nothing to stop you doing something similar.

Otherwise sign up to Help the Aged as a volunteer, or head around your local church. I am sure they all welcome your help.
Well done Trout.

Les
Old 12 January 2010, 12:05 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

she goes to different Special Needs schools as well hospitals to help stroke victims
That'll teach me to skim through posts, I missed an all important 'help'

As for helping old folk, not a chance, the lazy old git over the road from me hasn't even bothered to take his milk in for over a week!
Old 12 January 2010, 12:17 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

I offered to help the old people out that live about 1-2km from me. Both fairly old and the old boy is on his last legs oxygen 24/7 etc needs electric for medication
Anyway as time goes on she doesn't need help cant get out but plenty in. Then as the snow blocked me in and she wants some shopping and is getting low on oxygen too and worried about power cut
I said I can help out but would have walk around (2km in fairly deep snow) and use there 4x4 (Mitsubishi Pajero) to get to the shops and could collect small generator oxygen and food.
She decides they are OK for now and that the battery is flat on the 4x4 anyway as she had tried to start it so out of action and they can hold out for a few more days.

Why did I bother springs to mind obviously doesnt want to risk there car in the Snow/Ice

Last edited by rbaz; 12 January 2010 at 12:20 AM.