Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Avin' a Larf!

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2010, 01:22 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Avin' a Larf!

Let's assume that a Company didn't allow its workers onto its sites during the heavy snow and ice of Xmas week - even though some workers turned up.

Now that those employees are back to work, they find out that the employers are forcing them to make the lost time up!

What would you think about that then? Supposing you struggled in, got turned away at the gate, then find out you have to work an extra 2 1/2 days (that's about 20 hours) to make up the time!!

I think it's bang out of order!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 04 January 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04 January 2010, 01:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

That's life I suppose. A company cannot take the risk of an employee slipping in the snow and injuring themselves, as this will leave the company open to being taken to court.

Better to have to work extra hard to make up lost time than to be made redundant because someone has fallen and injured themselves, sued the company, which can no longer afford to pay the insurance premium, thus making everyone renundant.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You can't blame the company for the weather and if people lost time due to it its just part of life.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:05 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Go to your Union, have a word with the shop steward.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Demand a pay rise while you're there.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:09 PM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
That's life I suppose. A company cannot take the risk of an employee slipping in the snow and injuring themselves, as this will leave the company open to being taken to court.

Better to have to work extra hard to make up lost time than to be made redundant because someone has fallen and injured themselves, sued the company, which can no longer afford to pay the insurance premium, thus making everyone renundant.
thing is i dont understand why people sue over stupid accidents because it just makes companys/employers hard work, i have to work whatever the weather be it indoors or out because of my profession obviously.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:30 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robimportwagon
thing is i dont understand why people sue over stupid accidents
Because where there's a blame, there's a claim. We have become both too Americanised, and too greedy in that we want everything for nothing.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:42 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Are you a member of a Union?

Anyway,the thing is, i can see that the employer isn't in control of the weather obviously, but neither are his/her employees, but they are looking to make them pay for it just the same, not alot of sympathy from his employer is there? Not the best way to start the year. omo btw.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 04 January 2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04 January 2010, 02:50 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My mate in the same situation does this, and the lads need to make up the time or lose out some wage, to be honest, i think its a bit of a dodgy grey area.

The benefits for my mate are that he is not paying people to sit about and do nothing, personally i provide them with a tv/radio/ps2 and let them entertain themselves, if they have some spare holidays then they can usually take them upon short notice and have the day off.

While its the "right" thing to do, sometimes it does **** me off when i am basically paying them to play on the playstation all weekend (like this weekend just gone)
Old 04 January 2010, 02:54 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add something, my mate whom i mentioned above has a wifey that is involved in HR, the company she works for has now banned the staff from gritting the works car park.

The reason?

apparently....
If you do not grit the car park and somebody crashes/falls over, no blame can be given.
If you put even the slightest amount of grit down, then you can be liable for not doing it well enough and blame can be placed on you.

It says a lot about the UK in general now IMO
Old 04 January 2010, 02:55 PM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Quasi Modo
Are you a member of a Union?

Anyway,the thing is, i can see that the employer isn't in control of the weather obviously, but neither are his/her employees, but they are looking to make them pay for it just the same, not alot of sympathy from his employer is there? Not the best way to start the year. omo btw.
yes as it goes i am a union member (unite) and also a shop steward with respect to his/hers employers as far as i am concerned if they send you home after you have made yourself available for work then you should be paid it was their choice to make the loss by sending everyone home so they should honour it and bear in mind a company cannot i repeat cannot make its employees work longer than their weekly/monthly contracted hours of work.
Old 04 January 2010, 03:41 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Would you pay somebody for 2 days if in those 2 days no work was done?

To be honest forcing it is a bit unfair, but if i was the boss I'd not pay for those 2 days as the company would have made no money or had nothing productive done, but i'd give staff the option to work the extra hours should they wish.
Old 04 January 2010, 03:57 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Perhaps people need to realise that this is a cost to business and it's not their money they are actually spending.
Old 04 January 2010, 04:06 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18

To be honest forcing it is a bit unfair, but if i was the boss I'd not pay for those 2 days as the company would have made no money or had nothing productive done, but i'd give staff the option to work the extra hours should they wish.
I agree with that, I would most certainly be making the time up.
Old 04 January 2010, 04:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mickey, I got told the same outside our local Screwfix.

Lying Labour Nanny State Bull****.
Old 04 January 2010, 07:07 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Let's assume that a Company didn't allow its workers onto its sites during the heavy snow and ice of Xmas week - even though some workers turned up.
Presumably the employees have contractual hours of work, so if the company prevents you from working those hours then it is they that are in breach of contract?

mb
Old 04 January 2010, 07:21 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I suspect that they are acting illegally IMO.

If people made themselves available for work, but were turned away (some had travelled over 50 miles in the ice and snow!) .... I don't think they should work the hours lost!

Bang out of order in my opinion!
Old 04 January 2010, 07:40 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

well ive been made tu work today -10 the gas plant were we work was like a skating ring no grit and its a accident waiting too happen with 20 hgvs in it been like that for the last 3 weeks
Old 04 January 2010, 07:56 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18

Really depends on the business. Just because they are deeming it 'unsafe' to work or whatever, doesn't mean no work would be done.

As for making people make up the hours, I don't think it's very fair at all. I can see why they have done it, but the weather is nobody's fault, and while the business may not want to be out of pocket, it forced people who had bothered to make the journey into that situation. It would be fair enough, if they said, 'if you are unable to make it into work, you can make up the hours at another time'.

I was annoyed on Christmas Eve. Our boss decided on that day to close the shop early, nice you may think. Oh no, never just do something nice. We were docked for that hour, even though we were given no choice in the matter. One hours pay might seem like nothing to most people here but when low paid, it makes a difference. But for me, it was more about principal.
Old 04 January 2010, 08:10 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

You have two rights at work, your statutory rights and your contract of employment.

Personally, I would be going through my employee handbook and policies to see if I signed on the dotted line, so to speak., you may well find out it is all in black and white in a situation like this.

Last edited by Dedrater; 04 January 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04 January 2010, 08:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robimportwagon
yes as it goes i am a union member (unite) and also a shop steward with respect to his/hers employers as far as i am concerned if they send you home after you have made yourself available for work then you should be paid it was their choice to make the loss by sending everyone home so they should honour it and bear in mind a company cannot i repeat cannot make its employees work longer than their weekly/monthly contracted hours of work.
But then flexi contracts (which I used to be on at my previous job) can come into play. Theres quite a battle between Unite (who I'm a member of) and my old employers as they DO NOT want a union in, otherwise the arsehole bully tactics they've used for years will come to a grinding halt. Nearing the 50% threshold though.

If what the o.p. says happened to me, I'd possibly ask to use any holidays or lieu days (if of benefit to myself) to cover them. Failing that I'd politely remind them I'm available for any reasonable duties until my contracted hours are up (but thats as I'm strict 8-4pm at the minute).
Old 04 January 2010, 08:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx

I was annoyed on Christmas Eve. Our boss decided on that day to close the shop early, nice you may think. Oh no, never just do something nice. We were docked for that hour, even though we were given no choice in the matter. One hours pay might seem like nothing to most people here but when low paid, it makes a difference. But for me, it was more about principal.
If you are a Union member, you could have got them onto your side and pressed for breach of contract. If it went to court, you would have won unless it clearly state in your contract of employment thay they can and will take action like the above described.

My Mrs is in the same union as me and had a similar thing last year. Was due to work 4 hours on Xmas eve on normal pay - not a problem. But they refused to pay her for the other 4 hours, even though she made it clear it wasn't part of her contract for the company to simply let them go home early and not pay them. She put a grievance in officially through the correct channels and they paid out under advice from their solicitor. They simply try the funny stuff on with non union members now, but leave my Mrs alone funnily enough.
Old 04 January 2010, 08:29 PM
Lisawrx

I'm not in the union, as they have been very little help to those who are.

I don't think it says anything in my contract about such issues, but I would have to check to be sure. Anyhow, I wouldn't take it so far over an hours pay. I'm annoyed, and as much as I'm all for standing up for my rights, it's hardly worth the agro for one hour.
Old 04 January 2010, 08:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'm not in the union, as they have been very little help to those who are.

I don't think it says anything in my contract about such issues, but I would have to check to be sure. Anyhow, I wouldn't take it so far over an hours pay. I'm annoyed, and as much as I'm all for standing up for my rights, it's hardly worth the agro for one hour.
Thats exactly what your bosses will assume, so if you're happy with the situation then no action needs take place I guess. After the way I was treated by my former employers, I scrutinise every move/change/alteration very carefully now. Can't help it unfortunately. Hopefully for you it may be a little more relaxed and a bit of give & take.
Old 04 January 2010, 08:53 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Thats exactly what your bosses will assume, so if you're happy with the situation then no action needs take place I guess. After the way I was treated by my former employers, I scrutinise every move/change/alteration very carefully now. Can't help it unfortunately. Hopefully for you it may be a little more relaxed and a bit of give & take.
I'm not necessarily happy, but I'm not going to make things any more unpleasant over an hour.
Old 05 January 2010, 01:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

Now that those employees are back to work, they find out that the employers are forcing them to make the lost time up!

What would you think about that then? Supposing you struggled in, got turned away at the gate, then find out you have to work an extra 2 1/2 days (that's about 20 hours) to make up the time!!

I think it's bang out of order!
Used to happen all the time in my job, and we never got overtime either.

Les
Old 05 January 2010, 01:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

ACAS

There is a general right at common law to tell most employees not to turn up for work but no general right not to pay them.

Daily Telegraph

Last edited by speedking; 05 January 2010 at 01:27 PM.