Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My overtime rate is LESS than my standard rate.

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 10:56 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My overtime rate is LESS than my standard rate.

As Brian from Big Brother would say "You're avin a larf".

Seriously, its true.

Where i work the OT rate is standard whatever job you do. Now i'm a shift supervisor i'm earning above the fixed OT rate as basic, meaning if i do overtime i take a pay cut. Unbelievable but true.
Anyone else in a similair position?
Old 16 July 2007, 11:01 AM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

At least you get paid overtime,

I do a 70 hour average week and get paid for 39 hours

wish i had a office job, 9-5 would do me nice...
Old 16 July 2007, 11:14 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I don't get overtime either - I am in a salaried position where you do the hours required to get the required work done.

Not quite at the 70 hour mark though!
Old 16 July 2007, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My job was similar to PeteBrant's. No such thing as overtime and sometimes we had 24 hour duty and more than once in a period too. So I don't think you are doing too badly since you will be getting a decent screw as a supervisor anyway Paul.

Les
Old 16 July 2007, 12:03 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
My job was similar to PeteBrant's. No such thing as overtime and sometimes we had 24 hour duty and more than once in a period too. So I don't think you are doing too badly since you will be getting a decent screw as a supervisor anyway Paul.

Les
Only once have I had to pull some 24 hour shifts, and that was during the first gulf war. It was absolutely crazy.

Work for 24 hours
Sleep for 3 or 4
Back to work for another 24 hours.

I had 2 weeks or so of that - But, man, did I get a bonus that year
Old 16 July 2007, 12:10 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No overtime for me since our place was flooded with Cheap Polish labour used to be able to bring in over £30k a year but those days are gone now.
Old 16 July 2007, 01:01 PM
Steptoe
Scooby Regular

Same here,loads of poles where i work now and virtually no overtime because of it,although not getting that much per year! Overtime rate is time and a half through week,double time from 11pm friday to 7pm sunday,triple time on bank holidays or double time and a day off,so not bad for me when i can actually get it!

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2007, 05:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Nope luckily its based on my standard rate. Bank holidays are best at triple time

Simon
Old 16 July 2007, 05:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i did 74 hour weeks for the 1st year when i took the franchise over, and only had 4 days off in the first year

bunch of bloody softies

spend more time at home then work nowadays, so it was a good sacrifice at the time
Old 16 July 2007, 06:04 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i did 74 hour weeks for the 1st year when i took the franchise over, and only had 4 days off in the first year

bunch of bloody softies

spend more time at home then work nowadays, so it was a good sacrifice at the time
Part timer
Old 16 July 2007, 07:21 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

You try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you!!

Old 16 July 2007, 08:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I get a combination of time and money.

first 10 hours each week are time based (+)hours (at O/T rate) which we

bank and can use for time off (instead of holidays )

After 10 hours its payed as O/T

if we reach +200 hours banked, all hours after that are payed as O/T

Mart
Old 16 July 2007, 09:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get paid my hourly rate for the hours I am there, I do extra I get paid more, no overtime rate but I get paid more single time contracting than I did double time as a permie. I do about 40-ish hours a week.
Old 16 July 2007, 09:45 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't been paid overtime for decades, but scored some spectacular bonuses instead in that time

Work around 45 hours a week at the moment. Its all about quality rather than quantity in my current role though.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:20 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Overtime?..not in my industry, our yearly bonus is supposed to make up for it, but it doesn't , my last one before tax come out at about £30 per week for a year that's for working weekends early mornings and late nights....shouldn't complain though I guess my company doesn't pay too bad at the mo, though I'm shore the way things are going I'll be moving on next year....any of you guys get a regular pay rise? as in an inflationary pay rise? or more, shorly its effectively a pay cut if you don't, as the cost of living is rising.
Old 17 July 2007, 11:35 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We get OT, but a couple of years back the MD bullied us into accepting a lower rate instead of time+1/2 and double. It now works out around time+2/5 whether it's an hour or two midweek or a bank holiday Sun/Mon. As a result we've mostly taken on second careers as shift working allows reasonable amounts of free time, and when they need cover for public holidays and annual leave they struggle to find anyone who'll do it. I haven't worked an hours OT in 2 years now, but the driving instructing is doing me nicely I also prefer being out and about, often sat next to something young and attractive, instead of holed up in a stuffy office with my smelly shift-mate.
Old 17 July 2007, 06:46 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
We get OT, but a couple of years back the MD bullied us into accepting a lower rate instead of time+1/2 and double. It now works out around time+2/5 whether it's an hour or two midweek or a bank holiday Sun/Mon. As a result we've mostly taken on second careers as shift working allows reasonable amounts of free time, and when they need cover for public holidays and annual leave they struggle to find anyone who'll do it. I haven't worked an hours OT in 2 years now, but the driving instructing is doing me nicely I also prefer being out and about, often sat next to something young and attractive, instead of holed up in a stuffy office with my smelly shift-mate.

Same here. A few yesrs ago we were bullied into accepting time and a quarter as standard OT. Now they struggle to get people to do it.
What do you do btw?
Old 17 July 2007, 06:49 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

I would never work overtime. Life is too precious. There's no pockets in shrouds etc, etc.

Plus I make sure I always earn enough to do everything I want without being an
overtime wage slave
Old 17 July 2007, 06:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
What do you do btw?
Drive an Apple Mac in printing.
Old 17 July 2007, 08:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Used to do the time and 1/2 weekdays, double at weekends, with some silly intensive periods of away from home working. Think my two "records" were 6 weeks averaging 87.5 hours/week, and one week of 107 hours. One year, only did two weeks less than 70 hours from mid April to late September. Money was nice, complete lack of life wasn't. Now I don't get paid overtime so don't get asked to do it. 37 hours/week with flexi time, enough money, good social life, great girl = happy life. Life is too important to waste chasing the last hour to earn.
Old 17 July 2007, 09:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I spent my late teens and twenties cramming in the hours. I used to play it wisely doing 12 1/2 hours a day Mon to Fri and 12hrs Sat/Sun but usually through the cold, dark winter, in summer I'd cut it right back. Multiplied up it meant I got 123 hours pay each week for 20+ weeks a year. Began cutting it down as I got to 30, especially when I took my current main job. 4 years of only working fri-sun though saw me getting a bit bored during the week, and the increasing threat of redundancy (been there, don't want to be caught out as badly next time) saw me dedicate my spare time into the 2nd career of driving instructing. It's not primarily about the money, although I am enjoying seeing the mortgage tumble. I wanted something both satisfying to do and a decent safety net if/when the Apple Mac gets taken away. So, now I still do the Fri-Sun job, and top it up with Wed+Thu driving. Mon/Tue are my days off. If redundancy calls, so what. I'll just up the driving hours. Let's face it, it ain't that difficult telling people how to do something I've been doing quite well and pretty much subconsciously for the last 20 years, and it's quite nice when that someone is a 17yo female