When burglary goes wrong....

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2009, 02:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When burglary goes wrong....

One for Ritchie!

911 Call, Intruder Shot: Recording Of Call By Donna Jackson, Woman Who Shot Intruder In Oklahoma | World News | Sky News
Old 08 December 2009, 02:24 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Nice find Snazy. Poor woman, it's horrible to be in a situation where you have an intruder in your home. No matter what anyone says, you always act first and think later.

I have no problem in this scenario with her doing what needs to be done to protect her and her home. However, it doesn't sit comfortably with those who kill burglars who are retreating and have taken heed of the warnings. Tough situation and I hope she's not charged.
Old 08 December 2009, 02:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sorry if that came across a bit insensitive towards your situation.
Thought you might like it though.

I definatly hope she does not even have to enter any kind of legal plea. Totally right in her actions if you ask me.

I know what you mean about finding someone in your house. I remember looking from my bedroom window toward the kitchen. First seeing the light on, then realising the window was open, then seeing someone (no one I knew) going through my damn fridge!

Grabbed the bat, but made noise doing it, so he was off and running by the time I made it round to the kitchen. Dont sleep properly for months/years after that!
Old 08 December 2009, 03:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

In America your home is your castle, and you have the right to defend it, yourself, and your family. Using deadly force is necessary.

In the UK, your home is also your Castle. Defend it, yourself, or your family in any manner other than a stern verbal warning, and you'll find yourself in court accused of hurting the poor criminal. Who, as it turn out, has more rights than you.

You've got to love this country.

Last edited by stilover; 08 December 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08 December 2009, 03:20 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
In America your home is your castle, and you have the right to defend it, yourself, and your family. Using deadly force is necessary.

In the UK, your home is also your Castle. Defend it, yourself, or your family in any manner other than a stern verbal warning, and you'll find yourself in court accused of hurting the poor criminal. Who, as it turn out, has more rights than you.

You've got to love this country.
I don't think its so cut and dry anymore in the US some states you cant use deadly force others you can but you have to be able to prove it was a last resort and even then you can face cival prosicution if cleared of criminal charges
If the woman was heard giving the man a verbal warning when she was on the phone she should be OK if its a state where you can defend yourself and the gun was registered.
Why cant you hear the shot
Old 08 December 2009, 03:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im sure you do hear gunshot in the recording.

Yeah it varies from state to state out there. Some its a complete no-no. Some its a clear cut hell yeah! And others you may have to go to court to let others decide if it was the right thing to do.
Old 08 December 2009, 04:10 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

I need to find out what the rules are here in France with self defense on your own property.
I recently joined a target shooting club and am awaiting my license to get some serious firearms.
Plan on getting a 9mm pistol to start with just got to decide which one
Old 08 December 2009, 04:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Non-deadly kit is available: some of it needs to be registered after purchase mind. Im curious as to effective a 12b rubber ball is, when fired out of a pistol-length barrel. Id presume that itd see off most people though, unless they were there principally looking to hurt you, as opposed to steal your property...
Old 08 December 2009, 04:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Clicky-Link

Item 2 (where is the hash symbol on a Mac keyboard?) looks as though itll come keen.....
Old 08 December 2009, 04:26 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Clicky-Link

Item 2 (where is the hash symbol on a Mac keyboard?) looks as though itll come keen.....
Yeah I have seen them in the local shop expensive things for rubber ***** and they will probably bounce back at you
If you have the right license you can keep almost anything but not sure if you can defend yourself in your own home with it
Old 08 December 2009, 04:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol my mate keeps an AK in Florida (along with other guns)
Not sure if emptying a clip would be seen as "reasonable" lol
Old 08 December 2009, 04:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Anything can come back at you... Id probably consider rubber ball rounds in a real shotgun. Failing that I can recommend 'Special SG', or for added range: rifled slugs (but make sure that you dont have a choked barrel!).
Old 08 December 2009, 07:04 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Sorry if that came across a bit insensitive towards your situation.
Thought you might like it though.

I definatly hope she does not even have to enter any kind of legal plea. Totally right in her actions if you ask me.

I know what you mean about finding someone in your house. I remember looking from my bedroom window toward the kitchen. First seeing the light on, then realising the window was open, then seeing someone (no one I knew) going through my damn fridge!

Grabbed the bat, but made noise doing it, so he was off and running by the time I made it round to the kitchen. Dont sleep properly for months/years after that!
Not at all mate!!

I think our experience has finally gotten to the stage of being funny now! I think that she should be ok-if not I wouldn't object to funds being raised to send me out there to deal with the case on her behalf lol
Old 09 December 2009, 11:34 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. I am all for defending your home when you need to. Lets hope that is what this lady was doing. Its too hard to tell atm, as the information I read said that the man had crashed his pickup truck near her house. For all we know he went there for some help, and you can clearly hear him knocking on the door on the tape.

I don't know of many burglars who crash they getaway cars BEFORE they start to commit the offence!
Old 09 December 2009, 12:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
Not at all mate!!

I think our experience has finally gotten to the stage of being funny now! I think that she should be ok-if not I wouldn't object to funds being raised to send me out there to deal with the case on her behalf lol
lol I will chip in to the pot

Originally Posted by Luminous
Hmmm. I am all for defending your home when you need to. Lets hope that is what this lady was doing. Its too hard to tell atm, as the information I read said that the man had crashed his pickup truck near her house. For all we know he went there for some help, and you can clearly hear him knocking on the door on the tape.

I don't know of many burglars who crash they getaway cars BEFORE they start to commit the offence!
He was also meant to have been stone cold drunk. So possible to was trying to get in to hide, or steal her car.