Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting an old barn valued ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2009, 10:08 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting an old barn valued ?

In my garden I have an old barn - built in 15th century by all records, clay tiles, original timbers etc - and I want to get an idea of its value (if any)
Was wanting to know if its worth more broken up (tiles / timbers) or sold as a complete barn.
Any ideas who I can contact - restoration companies, building companies, demolition companies?

Any thoughts appreciated - I am in Surrey.
Old 08 December 2009, 10:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It depends on a lot of things, condition of the barn of course and do you want the land for something else. The tiles and beams etc could well be woth a bit for people with listed buildings perhap's. Seems a pity to knock a building of that age down if it is in a safe condition though.

Les
Old 08 December 2009, 10:28 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Its not in great condition - although the tiles are ok and the beams are ok but as a structure its leaning due to its foundations. We would like to clear the area for a rear drive / access to our property. While its a lovely period feature, its not listed and it will need maintenance going forward and we would like to free up the land - hence finding out if its worth anything - even if its only enough to contribute to the costs of whats replacing it.
Old 08 December 2009, 10:51 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Sell it on ebarner.com ?

Old 08 December 2009, 02:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you are in Surrey you may know of a place called Smithbrook Kiln. It straddles the A281 not far from Cranleigh, about 20 mins south of Guildford. There was an old barn there that sold Antiques and this was dismantled and moved. You could mosey over there and ask around. On the opposite side of the road are a load of upmarket shops and someone will know who did what. A mile or so up the A281, closer to Guildford, was a scruffy place that collected and sold old garden items like arches, statues, old tiles etc. They could also help?

dl
Old 08 December 2009, 02:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know a couple brothers that restore barns sussex/hampshire borders , extremely capable - unfortunatley that was 10 years + ago , and dont know what name they traded under / still going even
Old 08 December 2009, 03:18 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - David I think I know where that place is - I live just outside Guildford myself and know the area quite well.

Cheers.
Old 08 December 2009, 05:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't most people try to get planning permission to convert to a house and sell it for quadrillions? The more intact it is, perhaps the more likely you'd get permission, my parents were declined permission because they didn't bribe the planning officer and the walls were only knee height, plus the access was poor.
Old 08 December 2009, 05:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Oh no, its stood there for 600 years and you want to knock it down? Thats just terrible, just think what its gone through in its time, then Roshambo comes along and wants to do for it, for a quick small profit.

Please mister let it stand, in fact do some restoration on it. It may even be listed. Got to add value to your property.
Old 08 December 2009, 05:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the house is listed , which seems highly likely, then the barn is as well under the curtilage of the house

Last edited by dpb; 08 December 2009 at 05:27 PM.