Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have I got the Highway Code back to front ...?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2009, 06:56 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You grass!
Old 08 September 2009, 07:03 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

sounds like the ***** on the bike drives a van too .

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-cyclists.html
Old 08 September 2009, 07:51 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Some people simply do not care.
Old 08 September 2009, 08:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing that pisses me off royally is the attitude of some drivers and general bad road manners. I'm no saint, but, I do have some standards.

A few months ago, some knacker in a liveried works van decided to just go sratight across the white lines on a round-about, as I was going around it, it widens to two lanes on approach and he'd been on my nearside. Had to swerve/mount the kerb to avoid the imbecile.

I didn't bother with a phonecall, I've been delivering to the company he worked for on and off, (my delivery round gets changed from time to time), for over 6 years.

Oh well, just popped in and had a word with his employers. Wasn't the first complaint they'd had, but was the last.
Old 08 September 2009, 08:11 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Must be the day for it today, I was attempting to turn right out of a side road onto a main road today. I couldn't really see oncoming traffic due to cars parked to my right on the main road.
A daft tw@t in a big green van decided he wanted to come down the road i'm pulling out of, turning right across my front, it was plain to see he could not get down the road as his side was blocked, his back end was left hanging out on the main road and he left me with no choice but to go left. Utter pr!ck grrrr!!
Old 08 September 2009, 09:09 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I hate it when bus drivers do that round the "traffic calming" islands on my run to work....

I know it's a 30 limit, but FFS !

dunx
Old 08 September 2009, 10:34 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

funny that cos I see that everyday round here but substitute van for 4x4 or mpv and substitute man for woman and subsitute work equipment for children.

Seems mothers on the school run trump all other cars, unless they are another mum in a bigger MPV or 4x4. Apparently they also trump 40 tonne lorries!

btw the highway code says if youre side of the road is blocked you should wait until the other side of the road is clear before overtaking. or words to that effect. (If I remember rightly)
Old 09 September 2009, 08:52 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Fairly obvious that you are always supposed to drive on the left hand side of the road, and only use the other lane when it is clear and safe to do so.

Had a woman the other day in a huge range rover do this to me - she decided to blind overtake a bus that was stopped ( and would have moved off in 30 seconds had she waited ) - just shot out from behind it onto my side of the road as she was so close to the back of it she couldn't see round, then had to slam her brakes on when she realised my side of the road wasn't clear.

Worse thing was she then just sat there, stopped alongside the bus and blocking my side of the road waiting for the bus to move off waving her hands in the air, even though there was nothing behind her so she could have reversed back along the road ! ( which I couldn't as there were half a dozen cars now stopped behind me as we couldn't go anywhere ).
Old 09 September 2009, 11:52 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I've driven for many years and in many countries. I find now driving etiquete and ability these days seems seriously selfcentered. Safety? LOL If they don't get caught by Police, who cares?

I find New Zealanders the worst, followed closey by Australians, in particular Sydney, both are worse than the French or Italian's by a long margin. Drivers in Melbourne were a pleasure to share roads with in comparison.

I recall I was driving in NZ once, and in NZ you can "dob in a driver", on your mobile, while driving (Yeah, even more dangerous than driving drunk), over the Rimutaka Hill. Just before the summit there is a nasty, almost 180 degree right-hand bend, but it has an overtaking/passing lane (Or suicide lane). So I pull into the right lane of this passing lane section to overtake, I pass the vehicle on my left while in the right lane, on the bend of the passing lane. 5 minutes later, I was picked up on the other side by the Police. Someone had "dobbed me in". For what, I asked. Speeding! The speed limit for that whole hill road is 100Kph. In the car I had then it was impossible to reach that speed, even downhill, and certainly not on that bend (Up hill). I challeneged the Police offcier and the person who made the complaint to take it to court. It didn't.

But basically, people don't care enough to be safe enough and apply the rules. Just a sad reflection of society today.

Last edited by Klaatu; 09 September 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09 September 2009, 12:21 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
According to his *boss* that just rang me his driver was *committed* to overtaking before he saw me (b*llux as he was waiting for the car in front of me to pass, could clearly see me but pulled out anyway) but why couldn't we sort it out amicably at the time (because his driver pulled out some paperwork to work on rather than admit he was wrong and reverse!). Apparently there was plenty of room to pass according to the photos the guy took (even after the guy reversed and moved over a couple of feet I still had to mount the pavement to get by!) and why was there 3 feet of space between me and the kerb (see last answer and it's irrelevant anyway as his driver was on the wrong side of the road).

Next time I'll just switch off and call the police .......

Dave
So clearly he's had complaints about him before and his employers have asked him "Next time it happens take photo's so you can prove that you weren't in the wrong"
Reckon he's had a lot of practice at driving in this way
Old 09 September 2009, 02:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has always been the case that good road manners means that if there is an obstruction on your side of the road that you allow approaching traffic to pass the obstruction first, that may even be part of the Highway Code.

It is similar to allowing someone coming up a hill priority since it is more difficult to restart if you make him stop.

As I said above-it is as much a matter of good manners as much as anything.

Les