Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I'm gullible - the BBC news IS biased

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2009, 10:33 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm gullible - the BBC news IS biased

I say this having just watched the BBC news at 10 O clock.

On reporting the story of an MP deciding not to continue at a Muslim wedding in East London, having found out that he wasn't permitted to sit with his own wife, the BBC reported 90% on the OTHER point of view. They gave considerable camera time to the couple 'wounded' by his withdrawal and thinking he was trying to make making political right wing milage.

I would suspect that 90% of us with what I consider civilised European values on being told they couldnt sit with their wife to enjoy the social and positive occasion of a wedding might be similarly aggrieved. I love cultural diversity and colour, but individuals who chose to impose some primitive, sexist values and segregation on my family - especially when I consider my partner my equal, not my inferior - should expect dissent in the UK.

Maybe these 'cultural/religious' things are a different conversation, but for the BBC to almost ignore the balance of explaining the natural and probably quite normal shock and resentment and refusal to be dictated to on issues of morality and equality (whatver your religion) should have been far better considered - not virtually ignored. [c.c. BBC duty desk...]

D
Old 14 August 2009, 10:47 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

yep agree with u there
Old 14 August 2009, 10:58 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Default Not just all hot air on SN ;-)

Not just all hot air on SN ;-) :
Step 5 of 5: Confirmation

Thank you, your complaint has been sent. You do not need to re*submit it.
Depending on the nature of your complaint and the research needed to address it, we aim to respond to you within 10 working days.
If your email is not a complaint, you may wish to visit our Frequently Asked Questions site. Here you will find answers to many of the questions that we're currently being asked about the BBC and our programmes and services, and information on the various ways in which you can contact us.
All complaints received via this website are logged. Issues arising from complaints (but not personal details) are reported daily to BBC management and other staff. For more information about the BBC complaints process, please visit How we handle your complaint.
Thank you for contacting us.
Old 14 August 2009, 11:51 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

welcome to the club. May I also recommend Biased BBC (yours is currently the 5th story down)
Old 15 August 2009, 03:11 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

lol the comments on if they seperated gayers made me laugh
Old 15 August 2009, 07:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I once complained about a car programme on the BBC and they upheld my complaint. Got a long written report on it.
Old 15 August 2009, 08:06 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it is common at Jewish weddings for men and women to be seated seperately.
I haven't heard of any politicians trying to get political mileage out of this though.
I wonder why?
Old 15 August 2009, 09:19 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I agree the bbc (and most media are biased)

I also don't agree with segregation.

However the MP has been a bit of a plonker. He must have known that there was a good chance that this would happen at a muslim wedding, women aren't even allowed into most mosques. Did he really not know that, given he is an East London MP where 30% of the pop are muslim??

If he really didn't, may be he needs to go on one of the cultural awareness courses that his govt seems to thrust upon everybody else
Old 15 August 2009, 09:49 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

A non story that should never have been reported on.

But because it's a White man walking out of a Muslim wedding, the gutter Media (the BBC are one of the worst for this) blow it out of proportion, and angle it towards "White man is Racist"
Old 15 August 2009, 09:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whatever the story, there is no place for bias as far as the BBC is concerned.

Les
Old 15 August 2009, 10:03 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I am on the BBC's side

This was a big day for the couple and completely private. Then some snotty MP gets his knickers in a twist as he is asked to comply with tradition. Not too arduous was it?

Hardly going to worry him is it but takes the edge of the whole thing for the couple.

dl
Old 15 August 2009, 10:03 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

He made a call based on HIS cultural values and his points of principle - all based on the culture and history of this island.

Its not a case of knocking other cultures or traditions, its a case of knowing your own mind and values, and knowing what is morally correct in the 21st century treatment of women as equals.

As to the point on Jewish weddings - the one I went to was fun affair where women are certainly aren't segregated from their husbands.

I'm pretty 'live and let live' normally and aware that different cultures evolve at different paces and have historical quirks that may seem alien to others. However this point is about the BBC unfairly 'siding' with the quirky ones!

D

Last edited by Diesel; 15 August 2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:02 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I am on the BBC's side

This was a big day for the couple and completely private. Then some snotty MP gets his knickers in a twist as he is asked to comply with tradition. Not too arduous was it?

Hardly going to worry him is it but takes the edge of the whole thing for the couple.

dl

But they went to the media.

Instead of thinking, ok the guy doesn't like the fact he can't sit with his wife, that's his choice. Our wedding day will have no negative effect with this. We are getting married afterall.

They instead though. ******* RACIST WHITE MAN. QUICK, SOME ****** GET ME THE NUMBER OF THE BBC.

They make out the MP did this for political gain, yet they went to the press. Go figure.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:33 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Go figure.
Well if they think that alienating pretty travelled 'liberals' like me is clever and good for multicultural integration and mutual respect then carry on! Smacks of 'own-goal' to me as tolerance isnt simply a one-way street.

D
Old 16 August 2009, 07:24 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel

As to the point on Jewish weddings - the one I went to was fun affair where women are certainly aren't segregated from their husbands.

D
Probably would have been more fun if they had been
IMO BBC's SHlT innit!
Old 17 August 2009, 02:19 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Bias = funding.
Old 17 August 2009, 02:26 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Funny how Obama said hes not going to copy the NHS and its not reported on the BBC....

Ananova - US system will not mimic NHS: Obama
Old 17 August 2009, 02:58 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I refuse to watch BBC now, most biassed news service there is. I wont even get started on their regional services for my Area, Look north.

Puppets of Northumbria police